Apologize by OneRepublic (cover)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Really enjoyed your singing on this. I think you just about nailed it. A touch of echo and some EQ wouldn't hurt the recording, but the actual singing was right on. 

Very nice man, good tone and it seemed like you captured the mood of the song very well. The only thing I can say is on the verse, you could experiment with staying on an imaginary legato line. I know its is a bunch of words that are very close to staccato in phrasing. However, the way you are saying them now, you ramp up from like a note or two down, hit the note, then fall back down.

So its like riding a rollercoaster of notes in the verse. So keep them choppy but dont deviate from the target note, i think that would bring the smoothness the verse needs. Just my humble opinion.

Other than that, you sound bad ass, I love the vibrato by the way. Very smooth wide, but not a wobble, very pleasing to my ears.

Oh fyi your other cover was great as well, but couldnt listen to taylor swift cover lol. Something about that girl that raising the hair on the back of my neck. She is doing well enough to not worry about me not being a fan though ha ha

That was perfect, Bay. And I was mentioning to Aravind in his thread, and something I learn for myself (over and over again,) choosing the right song for your voice is so important. And this is the right song for you. You should be getting paid for singing this. It is as good, if not better, than the original.

That was perfect, Bay. And I was mentioning to Aravind in his thread, and something I learn for myself (over and over again,) choosing the right song for your voice is so important. And this is the right song for you. You should be getting paid for singing this. It is as good, if not better, than the original.

Thanks Ron. It took me several takes before coming up with this one. The first attempts were overdone with runs and unnecessary belting all over the place. So I went the "minimalistic" way.

Very nice and good choice going for the minimalistic and not overloading it with runs and stuff.

Yey! That's the first nice thing you've said about me. 😉

My ears are telling me this is well done  A couple of the higher runs had a tiny bit of wobble. Studio engineers might doctor them to make everything pitch perfect. 

Another take might have removed any wobble, but basically it was good perfomance. If you were put in a pro studio, given a pro EQ, pro reverb, pro compression, and had your vocal massaged as much as the original subtly auto tuned guy, I think they could work radio magic on it.

Until One Republic Guy sends me raw, undoctored tracks, that's what I assume. I guess the question is where to go from there? Songwriting? Mixing? I think a studio would do more to convince listeners than vocal improvement at this point, but obviously you can still train your voice. There may be a bit more left to be achieved in stabilzing a run here and there if it's what you're looking for, but this style of pop music is really processed.

It's tough to be some guy who records into a mic, and sticks a raw sound into a highly processed track. It can sound a little strange. So if you're interested in the slicked back prodution style music, maybe you should experiment with slicked back production vocals, right?

Yey! That's the first nice thing you've said about me.

Truth is i rarely say good things when making a critique unless i understand someone cant handle it, so i still dont say good things but instead i rephrase them properly! I admit i am generally rude sometimes...

You have a very nice built up voice and only need to work on details to polish it :)