Richie Kotzen on Voice

Rate this topic

VideoHere

Word up to Ritchie. And something I have read from other pros. Especially if you are on tour, you don't need as much time warming up but a little helps, if only to keep things calibrated correctly.

And what is warm-up, does it need to be a specific scale or can a vocalise work, at half-volume and half the range? For you don't have to warm the extreme ends, they will always be there.

this is a very important video not necessarily about the warm ups.  But about the nodules.. Nodules are not always and many times not a symptom of bad technique.  Singing on the road and having to do radio interviews, meet and greets,  dinners with AR, talking to your loved ones, horrible sleep, and just being in buses and trains and planes are usually the culprit of nodules.  

Personally whenever I was on the road it wasn't the singing that would bother my voice day to day but the talking and no sleep. The singing is almost soothing to the voice, once your warm you can just continue singing and it doesn't beat you up . But afterwards and the following day is what bothers it. You need to warm down and shut up if you can. The problem here being singers are usually the spokesperson for the band unless you have another member that likes to talk a lot which i always encouraged. 

So I know this is a technique site however lets not forget the other things that can hurt a voice and until you experience road wear you don't quite get it cause you can sing all day and night in your house.  This goes for my fellow teachers.  i find i get more beat up by teaching than i do actually singing because i must demonstrate how not to do something and how to do something over and over plus talk that is a vicious cycle for teaching.

Anyway I'm glad I saw this video. Richie is an insane musician much respect!!!

Awesome, Daniel. And, in addition to that, I have read from some singers that the reason they would sometimes travel separately from the band was not out of arrogance. It was to conserve the voice. The other players have Anvil brand cases to put their guitars in. An Anvil case is so tough, it can drop off a truck on the highway and protect the instrument. There is no Anvil case for the voice. So, to get away from extremes of a/c or heat and the cigars/cigarettes, and the general carrying-on that involves hollering at each other, some would travel separately, just to rest up for the next day. 

What would guitarists, aside from Angus Young, do if they had to speak soley through the guitar all day, then play a gig, several times a week?