Perfect Strangers (Deep purple) - Onset Issue

Rate this topic

Hi Folks.. 

This is one of my favorite songs.. I think this song is well within my range, the A4 is not an issue.. 

I seem to have an issue with the start of the song.. Where it starts with "Can you remember" and again at the point where it says "I am returning" & "A strand of Silver".. I am seemingly sounding like I am shouting and losing integrity of the note.. I am using a mix voice(or as Robert would say a covered head voice) throughout the song.. Please check if you can spot anything and let me know what I can do.. 

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1hR97EWCNtS

http://yourlisten.com/aravind.madhavan.90/perfect-strangersallconverter

Getting a copyright issue with soundcloud so trying a couple of other websites.. 

Jesus christ, I wrote like an A4s worth of an answer but somehow it got lost.

What I meant was that here's how I'd fix this issue:

You have the tonality spot on on the "Oh" lick before "and cold - cold spirits of ice," so keep the tonality/configuration the same as in that lick, and do the "can you remember" phrase with an "oh" sound. So instead of singing "can you remember" you sing "oh-oh-oh-oh-oh" (not staccato but a pulsing, controlled phrase). Once you can sing it as loud as you need while staying in tune, change the phrase to "gan you remember." Once you have that down pat you change it by adding the hard plosive K sound ("Can you remember").

And obviously you hammer at that specific phrase 'til you onset it with freedom and ease, and the power will come as the technique gets ingrained.

Try another approach. 

Unless your vowel techinique is completely solved, sing the same vowel will give a false resolution and perception. I can't hear you right now, but there is a generic solution. Think about the melody and solve note by note, word by word. Try to make vowels sound closer than possible, so it might turn easier your execution. Work in musical intervals using scales as you can identify the harder parts. 

Take your time to do it, no hurry. There's no magic or magical solution in singing, just hard work. Think about it. 

Happy new year!

I wanted to listen to this more than once. And I see what Khassera is trying to say. In this song, you have a strong oh. Try to use oh has a means of formant or alignment and basically center your voice on oh as you articulate everything else. It's okay, I promise, you really can do that because a singer DOES NOT sing the way that he speaks, period, paragraph, new chapter, new book, forever and ever, amen. (crossing myself and I am not even catholic.)

I had a hard time trying to find any problems the first time because of the reverb. But you definitely have a different tonality than the original and that is what was throwing me off. Your pitch was mostly good, the articulation sounded mushy and that could be both because of how you mixed this and vowel use.

Now, before you tell me you are going to do whatever it is that you want to do, can I ask that you reconsider the editing mix? Something that highlights your voice, rather than obfuscating it?

I recorded something on Christmas Day and I am still reviewing the mix. Normally, I would do the opposite, just record, mix a smidge, and post. And a number of songs I can do that, but not every one of them.

So, I would have to say my only problem with your recording is how it is mixed and now, you can totally ignore me. I am not an expert and I know nothing.

• Administrator

I just got a chance to listen to this. I thought it sounded good in several spots. It's got a lot of strong twang compression and your internation is ok. I think.Felipe has a good point, the vowels could stand to be more articulate as well as the consonants so it's more clear as to what you're saying, but in my view overall sounds pretty cool.

I hope you're work with pillars is helping you. If

You have any questions regarding your Tvs training, feel free to shoot me an email.

I just got a chance to listen to this. I thought it sounded good in several spots. It's got a lot of strong twang compression and your internation is ok. I think.Felipe has a good point, the vowels could stand to be more articulate as well as the consonants so it's more clear as to what you're saying, but in my view overall sounds pretty cool.

I hope you're work with pillars is helping you. If

You have any questions regarding your Tvs training, feel free to shoot me an email.

Thank you for your kind words Rob.  I am happy to tell you that the Pillars is my first attempt at taking formal training for singing.  I have always sung based on my instincts and having spent a lot of time in these forums over the last year, I made the long pending leap to buy the pillars.  My experience has been very very good.  I am still familiarizing myself with the terms.  For e.g. I don't know what a "twang compression" means in your comment, but I guess since it sounds like it, I must be doing something correctly.  That was my motivation to buy the Pillars.. To learn the actual science that goes behind vocal production and I must honestly say that even with the limited time that I have been able to spend over the last week, it has been money put to very good use.  I have started the workouts(generally do them in the car during my drive to work), and I fully don't understand how it will actually help with specific spots while singing songs.  But it helps a great deal from a mental standpoint.. For e.g. when I go wrong in a particular place, I am obliged to think that it is likely an onset issue, so perhaps I could try a different onset.. You understand what I mean!   I am sure you have heard it many times before, but I will say it again.  Fabulous work on putting a training program like Pillars and kudos to you for getting this exceptional forum to connect singers across the world.. 

• Administrator

Your welcome brother... That's my purpose in the world, glad to hear it's helping you and getting you to think... In a basic sense, Pillars is a lot about educating you in how the singing voice works, and then teaches you how to train to get stronger and more coordinated. It is a resistance training program... It's the "p-90x" for singers.

I really enjoy hearing that you're thinking about your phone nations in the context of onsets. When you start thinking about what onset could help you to fix a certain problem with your voice, you are grasping one of the central ideasbehind TVS methodology and onsets in general. As you can see, the program has given you insights, a window through which you can see and understand better what's going onand even have some techniques to work with. Anyways, glad to hear you're happy and help you if you need anything.

• Administrator

Your welcome brother... That's my purpose in the world, glad to hear it's helping you and getting you to think... In a basic sense, Pillars is a lot about educating you in how the singing voice works, and then teaches you how to train to get stronger and more coordinated. It is a resistance training program... It's the "p-90x" for singers.

I really enjoy hearing that you're thinking about your phone nations in the context of onsets. When you start thinking about what onset could help you to fix a certain problem with your voice, you are grasping one of the central ideasbehind TVS methodology and onsets in general. As you can see, the program has given you insights, a window through which you can see and understand better what's going onand even have some techniques to work with. Anyways, glad to hear you're happy and I'll help you if you need anything.

Got a love the speech recognition post from an iPhone.

One of my favorite tunes as well.  I would like to hear more articulation, as Robert said, to my ear it sounds too 'open'.  Ian Gillan has always been able to get a super strong 'E' sound that's tough to duplicate.  Most people I have heard do this song switch out to an open 'A' sound.

(Apologies to you and Robert for not using the terms used in Pillars for describing what I am trying to say, I have the program but have not spent as much time with it as I would like.)

• Administrator

Hey MrLoud, great to have you here!  (be sure to upload a picture to your profile... btw...).

So you are a client of TVS?  You have "The Four Pillars of Singing"?  What version do you have?

We can take this offline, but why don't you send me a private message if you like, I would be curious to know why you have not worked with it yet?  I would like to see that you have a fair chance to understand the program and get to work to start singing better.