Voice building songs

Rate this topic

Bono

One of the best topics I've seen on here! First I think it really matters most what you're going for, I will tell you what I do:

1. First thing I do is about 10 to 15 minutes of lip rolls, hums and zzzz while I am stretching out my body. Usually in almost complete darkness.

2. Once I feel like it's moving I put on Earth,Wind and Fire; Reason / Can't Hide Love. Once I am stretched out and feeling good I usually first work my falsetto. I like to get that open and popping first. 

3. Then I will crack out some Martin Sexton; Glory Bound / Love Keep Us Together / Black Sheep. Work on my chest, if there are big belty notes I will usually hit them falsetto at this stage. I like to warm up slowly.

4. Once the chest and head are good then I put in, what in my opinion is the greatest song to warm up to; Drift and Die by Puddle Of Mudd. Incredible song for my voice. Endless long note, in the meat of my range and in perfect pitch on the record. I love that tune. I will sometimes sing it 2 or 3 times in a row and really feel the relaxed openness in my voice. Locking into pitch till it almost feels like my voice disappears into the track. Very euphoric experience.

5. At this point I am flying, hitting notes with ease and openness. Then I will hit some early Journey, Al Green, AIC. Some of my favorite songs to sing are: Neon Knights by Sab, Wasted Years by Maiden, Down In A Hole by AIC, Soperunknown by Soundgarden, Dig by Incubus, We've Only Just Begun by Carpenters, Since You Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson, Rikki Don't Lose That Number by Steely Dan.

Anyway, that's a little insight into what I do. The key is to find what works for you and be consistent. Sing from the heart 

Anyway, that's a little insight into what I do. The key is to find what works for you and be consistent. And sing from the heart not the mind. Technical singers that don't transmit have day jobs.

Didn't know you were a passion first guy. You've sounded great from when I've heard you, but I didn't know your actual philosophy. I've heard Martin H suggest you can appropriately fake passion by mimicking the precise motions, a subject which intrigues me. Of all of the singers I've ever heard in my life, he might be just clever enough to do it. I'm definitely a passion guy.

More on topic, I suspect this topic would be incredibly difficult to answer in a more general way without a detailed knowledge of you as a singer. You'd have to consider:

1. Type of voice the singer has (male/female heavier, lighter, etc)

2. Type of training and expertise the singer currently has (both in general voice usage but also maybe in genre specific skills)

3. Type of voice the singer currently wants

4. Type of training that might guide the singer towards this voice (sometimes you don't start with finished sounds)

For more general purposes, the closest thing I could think would be 'genre pieces' with known ranges, measured based on skills used in the genre. For example metal often has really high, difficult and not not falsetto notes, but jazz or RnB might require more agility on runs. Some genres require comfort and skills in singing very quietly and precisely, which for some is actually more difficult than singing loudly. A Database of songs ranging from beginner friendly to advanced could be a really interesting tool.

I guess the best song is the one that pushes someone  outside their current limits when learning. These would constantly change as their skills expand.

The current song that pushed me outside my limits was this one Ronws posted:

It made me realize I'm not fluid enough to change from my normal style to a more belting style and back fluidly for all of those A#4s flying in and out of my bridge. I had a problem where the A#4 sounded great, but then my voice would slip back down into the bridge and become a quacky metallic mess in those runs. That area usually has a more soulful and fluid tone. It might have worked in another genre, but didn't sound soulful at all, made me sound like two different people and made me feel very much like the white guy I am.

So that's an example of something that could be built upon, but it's so specific to my voice, my situation, all of that stuff. So for you or Bono you'd have a totally different thing.

Something I've often thought when reading posts on here, is that I wish people would put what range a song is. 

Knowing the lowest and highest note in a song means I can see easily if it's a song I could use as a warm up, or one that is within my range but will require work on certain notes.

I just learn to play the melody and then raise or lower the song by as much as needed. Or practice it from lower than the original pitch to higher than the original pitch. 

The range became less of an issue - bridging is still the place where I face some issues. 

I just learn to play the melody and then raise or lower the song by as much as needed. Or practice it from lower than the original pitch to higher than the original pitch. 

The range became less of an issue - bridging is still the place where I face some issues. 

Come from a comfortable place above on bridge. It doesn't have to be a Ronnie James impression, but I found that very helpful. Also a bit of a yawnish/sobbish/cryish thing can work, although it's not the only way to do it and for me goes a bit more pop/soul.

If you don't have a professional teacher, my advice would be to start lighter from above and add weight coming down. If you only come from below, you can start heavy and shed 'some' but not enough. I should know. :D

I don't believe there are one-size-fits-all "voice building songs", I mean every song you work on will improve your voice, but how to what degree just depends on where you're at as a singer.

If you work on something too easy or hard or comfortable or uncomfortable or focusing on the wrong qualities for performing or for practicing for your individual voice you get a very slow benefit. Often it's good to trust a great vocal teacher to pick out something for you because of their much greater experience and understanding of what your voice needs.

For instance I need to work on developing more depth and subtlety in my tone (I would have never known this if I self taught) so my teacher is having me work on literally IMITATING Peabo Bryson on this song in order to force me to invest in building those qualities. The depth part can be somewhat trained with technical exercises, but studying the sound of a pro using it adds a greater level of clarity to it, and the STYLISTIC elements - there's no way in hell you can train that without SINGING A SONG!!!
'>

But it's also important to be clear that the idea is not for me to add this song to my repertoire nor will I ever become a Peabo carbon copy. It is building with the purpose of strengthening a weak area in my voice to bring it into balance.

As a singer, learning to sing women's tunes and just listening to all these different female vocalists helped me develop more versatility and tonal dexterity.

Singers like Martina McBride, Sarah Vaughn, Taylor Dane, Jewel, Bessie Smith, Martha Reeves (I'm all over the map) just to name a few all influenced me, and indirectly taught me things.

It sounds crazy, but when you just falsetto out and ride around and get real heady & hooty really let go and try singing like a women you will come into this sense of freedom and openness that you can sort of memorize and apply to your normal voice.

Hard to explain....