Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans - Louis Armstrong/Billie Holiday Cover

• TMV World Legacy Member

Beautiful, sexy, sultry, fantastic, intricate, nuanced, soulful, flowing, caressing.

I'm ready for more. :D Not ready to critique though.

The best thing you can hope from me is to take just a little of how good this was and sneak a little into my voice if I'm ever this good.... ;)

Nothing to critique. I join Killer in totally appreciating this rare art form. And bless you for keeping the torch song lit.

Robert Lunte, our benefactor, has a demo video in other thread on microphones. Short answer, for recording, a Rode M2. Live performance, Electrovoice E767(?).

I suggest those, not even knowing what mic you are now using that you think is "dead."

Thanks Killer and ronws!  I was kind of hesitant to post it because i didn't think the recording captured the colors of the song when i perform it live.  I'm usually impressed with myself after singing this song when i do it on stage, but i wasn't impressed with myself after listening to the recording.  People who have seen me live vs on a recording always tell me that the recordings don't do me justice and i'm waaay better in person.  And i think it's a really nice compliment bc i'd take live perfomance over recording any day, but at the same time, i've got it in my head now that my recordings suck lol.  And I guess i'm just not really an overall fan of my recorded voice.  But i also dont really know a whole lot about mixing tracks and whatnot.  In fact, i don't really even know if the mic sounds 'dead' (i'm not even sure thats a real term lol), but i just felt like the umm..."brightness" of the sound wasn't there.  Maybe it has nothing to do with the mic and just needed a little reverb.  Or maybe i'm just still getting used to the sound of my own voice :o)

Ronws...i use a Shure SM7B currently...someone had mentioned that a condenser would be better for me.

Thanks for listening though guys, i really appreciate the kind words!

blackiejane

www.stoptimeentertainment.com

Honestly, you'd probably sound good in a cardboard box. I actually climbed in a cardboard box to test this often tossed around theory, sounds pretty funny. But yeah, I bet you would/ Some voices just sound pleasant in almost any context, even acapella.

I bet you are a great live performer and nice to see, but I think you might be so used to being a life performer and so into that scene, maybe you're too harsh on yourself recorded.

Jazzy style music dates way back, most of us who enjoy this style of singing don't care at all what kind of microphone Billie Holiday had, don't care much for the technology at all. It's like the last thing on our minds when we listen to you. We like the voice behind the mic and I think it's great you get recorded from time to time to immortalize your voice. You should do this from time to time, just to leave a legacy. You're (probably) only going to be on this planet once, and if we have a record of you that's a special thing.

Besides, I won't be in Toronto any time soon, maybe ever and I doubt many members here would be either. I don't know if jazz will get you traveling reach the various corners of the world we're all scattered to given current popular trends (might want to put on your best Miley Cyrus impression for that one <_< ), but you're really good and I hope there is a enough of a niche for you to find a good footing.

I'm not going to be able to be a live performer, given a few health problems, so dig deep with your improvization, sing from your soul, and make sure you give it your all. It's inspiring to know you're out there.

And i think it's a really nice compliment bc i'd take live perfomance over recording any day, but at the same time, i've got it in my head now that my recordings suck lol.  And I guess i'm just not really an overall fan of my recorded voice.  

Ronws...i use a Shure SM7B currently...someone had mentioned that a condenser would be better for me.

You're preaching to the choir. I stink at recording and editing but I am learning, ever so slowly. But live is always where it's at. With live, there is no do-over, patching in, multiple takes. Do it right and do it now. Stopping is death. 

Recording is the opposite.

Anyway, you might shop for a few different mics. Shure mics are a bit middle of the road in response, though used well by others. Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden made a career with the SM58 (dynamic stage mic.)

For condensers, just remember, you want one that captures the warmth of your voice, even if it is not the most expensive mic.

I agree with the others. Love your voice. Very nice job. It's such a great, classic song. Cool to see something like this on the forums. There's a great version of this tune by a guy named John Boutte from the HBO series "Treme". Look it up on youtube. You'll dig it.

As for microphones.........a large diaphragm condenser mic is going to be the way to go most likely. It's going to add more "air" and "sparkle" to the top end. I've been frustrated with a lot of mics in the past....mostly in live situations....sounding like there was a ceiling on the eq spectrum. Dull, lifeless, boxy.

Part of it is being (slowly) solved by my vocal training (trying to achieve a brighter tone) but part of it is finding a mic that works with my voice. I always feel more inspired and give a better performance when the mic has that sparkle and the detail and nuance of the soft singing is preserved.......even enhanced.

I'm pretty sure the Rode M2 is a live mic. I've got an early generation Rode NT-1 which was $200 over a decade ago. I think they still hover around that price point. Get something like that and maybe throw in a tube pre amp and no one's going to be able to get you out of the vocal booth. Enjoy.

A gentleman never talks about his tailor.
                                                   -Nick Cave