Big Jet Plane [cover]

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hello!
I'm quite new here so I hope you won't be cruel. We (me and my friend) would like to hear some opinions about our cover of "Big Jet Plane" song, originally played by Angus & Julia Stone. I hope you enjoy it :)
And we appreciate all the criticizm & motivating words from all of You (dear vocalist community) :)

What is dead may never die...

Thank you for some motivating stuff, our teacher told us one day that it's not so easy to find someone like this (I mean who will fit you with his/her voice - on the harmony meaning) so I guess I should be double happy about that :)

I'm not familiar with original either. But I like the timbre of both of your voices and you blend nicely together. I feel like the performance was good.  You guys being newer to this stuff, the one impression I had, was less to do with the singing and more to do with the performance.

I get the feeling you ttwo don't know how good you are yet, and are a bit polite in your performance. Now this is cool, there are styles where politeness is good and ego can be a horrific thing. But I feel like you're both good enough you've earned yourself the right to a little swagger in there.

When you fully believe in yourself, sometimes it can change both the way it's presented and the sound a bit. I'm just giving you permission as an audience member that it's ok to strut. It's ok to take some self satisfaction when things are good. When that hramony is nailed, when you're identifying with a passionate vocal or feeling the swing of the guitar.

You both have the presentation of nice people and I'm not advocating becoming smug, arrogant pricks, even if it sells more records. (well you could try it as a stage act), but your voices and musicality are good enough you can look me in the eye, with complete self confidence completely immersed in this moment, feeling it, and I would believe it. You've got a pretty lady and a musical guy (he may be pretty too, but I'll leave that for the ladies to call!) who harmonize with nice voices.

There are different ways people can present sound, right? "This is a badass sound, I know it. I'm gonna give it to you" or "I hope this sound isn't too offensive." It's not just me, but people in general I think would believe the former from you.

All that said, I did enjoy it, but I'm giving those thoughts in the hopes that maybe a good folk ish duet can rise again, build an audience, build awareness. Write songs. Give it everything you've got, but above all, believe in yourselves, it can make it easier for others to believe in you too. :)

I'm the girl from the video. Thank you very much for your time and your constructive comments. It means a lot to us. We are just beginners so every advice is valuable for us :)

I'd love if you both come back and post more. We don't have any duos here at all to my knowledge and harmony singing is one of my favorite styles. Really overlooked. As you two learn more and more about duet style singing, you might be able to help us.

We might be able to help with technique a bit, but this folksier style isn't always about blasting out high octane squealing stuff. Listeners would probably be most familiar with a Simon and Garfunkel tune or you could take a shot at an Everly Brothers.

As your training progresses, if you want to spread your wings a bit from folk, be sure to check look into Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrel duets. If I had a lady who could harmonize to my voice, I might just sing this one every day:

But you two are beginners, so that could be quite the stretch. Work on your voices, but it's great to have a polished good sound too. Very nice place to start off from.

I'd love if you both come back and post more. We don't have any duos here at all to my knowledge and harmony singing is one of my favorite styles. Really overlooked. As you two learn more and more about duet style singing, you might be able to help us.

Thank you again. It would be totally cool to be (if I can call it that way) true part of this community and actually help other people, instead of "only" waiting for video reviews if you know what I mean. But as you also mentioned we're just beginners, so I think it's a long road before this happens.

If we speak about posting more stuff, we actually had christmas break so we can say we finished 2014 year by posting two videos on our youtube channel. Now, when the new year started we'll definitely work hard to make a big step forward (not only by working on our voices, but also by posting more videos or even making some small live performances)... becouse as we see, it's worth it :)

And about the song you posted, we'll definitely look at it! :)

You two are already offering more to this community as a unique duo than many of us can add. We won't have those life experiences, musical experiences, and vocal experiences unless we've been down that path. Even a band the dynamic is different, their are often a bunch of people preoccupied with their instruments, and there isn't such a direct way of constantly and intimately building off another person's voice.

Glad you two seem like nice polite people, cause many duos end up like bad marriages, hahahah. I'll help you in any way I can, but I've said many times, I'm just a guy that sings. So if you have a really difficult goal there are pros. They gotta eat and have food on their plates and all that. I'm free. It all works out in the end. 

In my book you're already a part of our community and given more than you've taken. No debts. Staying and hanging out is extra credit but desirable. :)

I liked it a lot guys!  It sounded good, and you give me the sensation that it would be cool to hangout with you guys :)

Sylvia, the only thing I would advice is to revise your embouchure. That is the way you open your mouth when you sing :P  You actually open it very little when singing, and you keep it very horizontal, not separating your teeth for more than half a centimeter, haha.  This will rob you of resonant space. The AH's, like in "RIDE" for example.

I think you could sound a lot better and relaxed, and with more resonance also, if you tried to open your mouth in a more vertical way. Try to relax the jaw as much as you can and let it hang down, and move as needed. It is a very relaxed, "sleepy" song.. so you will benefit a lot from that!     I hope I helped ( And that I explained myself well, I kind of just throw words as ideas come to my head, lol )

There are some awesome videos of Robert Lunte explaining embouchure! Be sure to watch them if you can :P

I love your style and voices harmony. The only small thing which keeps me from thinking it's perfect is some kind of echo of a small (or empty?) room, but this is just technical and not a big problem. (I'm suffering from technical problems myself,maybe that's why I paid attention). And I would love to see you a little more relaxed and smiling (especially the girl). It's a very good job anyway, from my not-yet-a-singer's point of view.