Critique of Progressive Metal vocals

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey guys, I would love to hear your thoughts on my recorded vocals for my progressive metal band! I'm only 18 years old and have much to learn singing-wise, but my band and I were hoping to be able to record a demo within the next year or so and I'm attempting to prepare myself for a studio setting. In case you're interested, the instrumental piece is still in it's earliest phases and I haven't yet been able to track real bass or drum parts yet. http://vocaroo.com/i/s13sQ06GCXgR

• Administrator

Prog? I'm in...

I thought the jazzy part was a bit strange to transition to the metal feel. The content is a bit limited or challenging to sing on top of, but what you chose to do with it was fine. you could use some brighter harmonics in the sound... could use some amplification and more palette... more twang.

I think the sing has potential. Think about singing more carefully in regards to matching pitch and groove... Find a pocket... Hope this helps...

BTW... please upload a picture to your profile page... thanks.

I found the jazzy section really fascinating how your melodies worked with clarity over such a busy track. Rob already offered better constructive critique, so I've got little to add and he'd be a great one to help you further if you're seeking a teacher.

I did enjoy your sound though and found it fascinating. I've heard a lo tof prog in my day, brother has been a huge fan and I like some of it too. It's almost beyond what is typically considered prog metal into 'something' else. Not sure I've heard this genre combination before. It's intriguing, and I'm not normally a huge fan of busy music, it's abnormally cohesive. You should keep developing the styles and the vocals.

Thanks a ton for the responses guys! I will try to focus more on cutting from the top in future takes and brighten the vowels slightly, both of which have been consistent problems for me. I've been told several times that I have a very dark tone and heavy sound which can lead to unfortunate outcomes in the higher registers; all of which I'm sure can be rectified with proper training. KillerKu, I'm really glad you enjoyed my band's sound and what we're hoping to do in the prog-metal genre!

• 2 weeks later...

Hahaha! Oh man, at first I was like 'ummm.... am I at the right clip?'   I really dug this, can't wait to hear the finished song.  I don't have much to add on the singing itself other than I liked what you did, particularly carrying over the 'sway' phrasing from the jazz part into the rock part.

I liked it, even with the totally jazz beginning morphing into prog metal. Reminded me of some early Kansas as far as the accidentals (different time beats) go. I may not look like a fusion guy but seriously, I have owned and listened to every album Kansas ever made.

If I were you, I would keep doing this. And sell it.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome sound!!! The jazz part was really good and I also like the metal part. Interesting to hear a prog song without high vocals once in a while.

But for my taste there could have been a little scream in there, maybe at 00:52.

How did you mix your vocals? They sound really good.

Im very much into progressive/jazz-metal or whatever you call that stuff.

I think you have good voice and it fits well to the material.

You are 18 and I think you have great potential in your voice.

I was also a bit confused initially, didn't expect the jazzy stuff. Your vocals sound great. Nice tone, and cool that it was so clear in the busy jazz part. I thought the guitar sound on the heavy part was maybe on the thin side, could be a bit more beefy maybe? I'd like to hear the whole track when it's done!