• TMV World Legacy Member

Any comments? Too much vibrato?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWhEYYa8iBQ

In a half-step lower key-better or worse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uThpmthE78

Thanks!

This is pretty good. I feel like foundations are really solid already for this style. Overall pitching was good. Some of the runs sounded impromptu and not rehearsed, like mine can get. So if you're aiming for like spot on perfection you might want to slow down every run and dial each note to perfection, but I like hearing a natural or looser performances too. I've heard younger Stevie Wonder do worse, heh, even some of the most skilled vocalists aren't always 100 percent precise, so don't be too concerned.

I thought both keys worked. There is more drama in your voice in the higher key, while more of a casual free flowing groove with the lower key. S

Something really interesting, was I wasn't watching you when you said 'me' and I heard a really strange sound color that sounded quirky. It was kind of cool, but at the same time I was going to dissect it and point it out if it was unintentional  you coud have some awareness.

I was in the processing of dissecting the sound, I glanced at your video and you are mouthing 'me' more like 'moo.' Your lips are pretty closed. If you want to make the me sound a bit more conventional, you can widen your lips a bit, like a slight smile. As is your vocal tract as best as I can tell sounded fairly comfortable (as best as I can tell, you'd know better than me) and flowing freely enough to work well, but your lips had a mind of their own there. mooweee.

I don't know if I'd throw that away completely, lots of vocalists have their little tics and quirks. Chamone! If you don't have things that are unique about you, people will have trouble remembering and identifying with you.Maybe experiment with all the places in between. Character is sometimes more safely found with lips than throat. ;) You could probably add some cool flavors, and I've found it a bit inspirational to be honest, thinking about how sound colors could be altered this way. 

I love the song, it's a classic, and enjoyed your rendition. Keep singing, keep training. Unless you believe this is your zenith, I feel like you may have more room to grow as a vocal artist, but at the same time you sound 'poised' to grow too. If that stuff feels pretty comforrtable in your body. I personally wouldn't want to modify a free flowing instrument too much. It's your call where you want to go, right?

They were both good. My preference is the lower version because it shows a warmth in your voice that really makes the song intimate. The one thing I noticed that you did in both versions which makes an interesting point in the vocal line is on the higher note of the word "me" your mouth is shaped like oo, like a cuperto opening. Other times, you form a true ee. Is that something that you learned to do for that part of the range or just that song? I am not saying it was wrong, just a different sound.

honestly i didn't think too much about it-I knew I was saying me differently but didn't mind it. i can't remember for sure, but I don't think any of the "me" notes were very high so I don't think it has to do with range. can't really think of another song where i do that. i kind of chalk it up to being similar to things like when elton john says "world" in your song. I always thought he was saying "woods" when i was a little kid lol. sometimes you just have to listen to yourself and you catch weird things you're doing and then decide if you want to change it i guess