Signed Sealed Delivered

Rate this topic

Dude this is a hard song. I've got a question. The way your voice is combined with the backing track sounds weird, but is it a little flat?

Now, I've heard it said before by people with better ears than I that Stevie Wonder sings slightly 'sharp' on average. Not a huge amount but just a bit, like rides on top of the song. I think I might be able to hear it, he never sounds 'slack' ever, always sounds 'uptight' a bit, right? I've never actually grabbed a tuner and my ears aren't fine tuned enough to detect it.

So if you take this song for a spin on the next practice session, try to overshoot the notes a hair. Like ride a little on top. See what it sounds like. I'm curious.

Hey Killer! No I don't think I'm flat here... at least no more than usual...

But the recording quality is really (I mean really!) bad so that might explain what you're hearing. I'll try and do proper recordings soon (mic and headphones). This is just the laptop mic picking it up. Backing track on the computer, no headphones not even proper speakers...

Hey Killer! No I don't think I'm flat here... at least no more than usual...

But the recording quality is really (I mean really!) bad so that might explain what you're hearing. I'll try and do proper recordings soon (mic and headphones). This is just the laptop mic picking it up. Backing track on the computer, no headphones not even proper speakers...

Alright, yeah I wasn't sure. I do think a proper bed track would help a lot. That does sound like a worst case recording scenario. We'll get a better picture sometime soon.

Killer Ku, he has great pitch here. It's riding on the center of the pitches (that's what you want 98% of the time) but he's still allowing it to have some freedom either way for a more soulful bluesy quality, very consistent with the stylistic expectations. So I don't really know what you're getting at.

Killer Ku, he has great pitch here. It's riding on the center of the pitches (that's what you want 98% of the time) but he's still allowing it to have some freedom either way for a more soulful bluesy quality, very consistent with the stylistic expectations. So I don't really know what you're getting at.

Interesting, he sounds perfectly in tune to himself, but sounds 'slackened or weird with the track.' That's why I expressed uncertainty as it sounds spot on if he was solo isolated.