Lonesome road blues...take 2...Folk Style this time

• TMV World Legacy Member

This one slipped all the way off the page, eh? It's really low key. I like it but it's like background kind of chill performance, like you're on a back porch singing to yourself which has a certain context. The guitar has good pacing, a gallop or trot.

What kind of mic is being used in the recording? Is there some kind of noise gate? It kind of cuts out some of the sound, fading in and out. I've had a noise gate cut in and out like this before. Sometimes if you compress a voice and guitar, really weird they can 'fight' each other.

Yeah, it's one of the more low key performances I've ever heard. It might work in like a scene of a movie where you're the camera is panning out on a rural area, things are desolate and a bit empty. Maybe even almost a straight up desert. So it captures something, but I can how it would slip. You might want to try something a little more up beat to catch people's ears. But the back porch of a desolate scene is pretty cool too. 

On technique, in my throat the E vowel on 'feet' might have felt a bit tight if I tried it? I find saying 'yee' helped me get my E in a more comfortable place as a base line (opened some resonators and made a bit more room so it wasn't as tight), and then going a bit yih (like in yippy) or yay from there can help if a note needs to be 'bigger.' But my throat is not the best barometer for E vowels, yours is and your style is more of a nasal twangy tone than I use which is a lot more country where a sound like that would be more commonly used.

• TMV World Legacy Member

Your pitch is getting better and your voice is more solid than it has been in previous recordings. I would like to hear you put a capo on that guitar about 3 frets and play this again. This will bring you out of your comfort zone and put a little more energy into the song.

Your guitar work has improved tremendously.

Maybe try Sixteen Tons with a little bounce to it?

I just feel that you are holding yourself back by being a little too laidback and safe. You have nice sounding voice and I think you could do more with it.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."