Holly Leaves And Christmas Trees/ Elvis cover tried new mic

• 2 weeks later...
  • TMV World Legacy Member

Good job. the mic is okay but the track is clipping. Check the input level on whatever software you are using to record. And, if you can, lower the level of input from the mic to where you just barely scratch yellow on the loudest and highest notes. Then, later, you can boost the volume level on your track to where it is usable. Unless you are recording all into one mic. In which case, adjusting those levels will clean up everything.

I have no idea how you do Elvis so well. Like most people who love his voice I've thrown out an Elvis impression, but you are uncanny.

It sounds great, and when you get the input levels it will sound even better. I guess the real question is where do you go from here? It's a great sound. Would you rather go the direction of an Elvis inspired singer or someone that definitively reminds people of Elvis?

You're really gifted at this. There used to be a market for Elvis impersonators back in the day. I don't know how things are now. If I was told that was a damaged recording of Elvis and didn't konw about digital clipping and how it relates to analog damage, I might have believed it.

Thank you KillerKu you are great at reviews I see..well I only sing my regular vocals that seem to sound alot like Elvis but I can sing in a higher register also ..which does not sound much like him ..I guess..I am not trying to be another Elvis singer or impressionator..that is the way I sing..I will post other songs for you to hear ..you guys are great on this site..

Thank you KillerKu you are great at reviews I see..well I only sing my regular vocals that seem to sound alot like Elvis but I can sing in a higher register also ..which does not sound much like him ..I guess..I am not trying to be another Elvis singer or impressionator..that is the way I sing..I will post other songs for you to hear ..you guys are great on this site..

You should be able to make this work as a really beautiful element of your style. It's possible to mix up the low end though. Elvis tends to be a darker toned singer, he has kind of lower larynx and a lot of warmth in his tone. I'm a huge fan of his tone, and it saddens me that there aren't many modern singers inspired by him anymore so on one hand it's a joy to hear you.

On the other hand, if you wanted to pull away a bit from his tone, you could experiment with brightness. Some ways to add brightness are using a higher larynx, increased nasality (try saying the word nya. like nyasal) and increased twang. I wouldn't advise you overdo any of those things as your voice is already dialed in to a beautiful sound, but if there was maybe an unprecictable part of your singing that was differentiated from Elvis, it could help. You could also toy with vowel placement. Elvis favors the 'uh' vowel. So does Jackie Wilson (kind of a higher version to my ears). If you were to blend a few other vowels into the tone as kind of 'root' points it might shift the sound if you're interested.

Basically, you could be the cool new guy, inspired by Elvis, with a new spin. It could be any spin, but it would have to fit your artistic identity. As an example, David Bowie will use kind of an elvis husky warmth and a nasally cat sound sometimes even in the same song. It's a hook that separates him from Elvis. If you could find any kind of hook that is meaningful for you, it could be enough. It wouldn't have to be any of my ideas, but it will definitely have to be yours so you can stand by it and believe in it. I do love hearing you here though. Please never lose the Elvis warmth. It's you, and it's beautiful, but expanding a little could help since it is that perfect.

My only attempt at Elvis is "thankyouverymuch," which he didn't really say the way most people do it.

And even when I do it,  I sound more Clint Eastwood from "Dirty Harry." You know, the famous question he asks:

"Now, I know you've got to be asking yourself one question. Did he shoot six shots? Or, was it only five? Well, in all the excitement, I lost count, myself. Now, since this is a forty-four magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and could blow your head clean off, you have to be asking yourself one question. Do I feel lucky? Well, do you, punk?"

That kind of voice saying, "Thankyouverymuch."

Somehow, it sounds better in my head.

:unsure: