Robert Lunte - "I Can't Make You Love Me" - Bonnie Raitt Tribute

• Administrator

Enjoy... a beautiful song from Bonnie Raitt... Tracked it tonight while the Seahawks won their game to prepare for their 2nd Super Bowl win.  

https://thevocaliststudio.box.com/s/1ohay98iha0sdtjsyjkiwgd9h0mat2f8

:4:

• TMV World Legacy Member

Cool to hear a new side of your voice Rob. At first I thought wow that's an interesting song choice for you, but it turns out I really like what's happening starting around the end of the first chorus till the end, you gelled with the song really well in your own way.

Great recording as always.

What a beautiful song huh?

• Administrator

Thanks Owen .

Yes this song is so awesome. And it is great to train. People should try it, it's fun to sing. Even though the original was sang by a woman , I think the song fits well for both genders. Any guys looking for a good love song to work on, try this.

• Administrator

It is interesting how .. when you record something, sometimes you initially think its great... but then when you listen a few days later with fresh ears, you realize its only "ok"... I need to make another run at this... 

It is interesting how .. when you record something, sometimes you initially think its great... but then when you listen a few days later with fresh ears, you realize its only "ok"... I need to make another run at this... 

I thought it was pretty cool - like I said I was more fond of the stuff that kind of happened later on. for the first bit you seemed kind of stuck in your "rocker" mode LOL - but i was pleasantly surprised at how well you got out of that served the song for the last 2/3rds of the take.

I have the opposite problem Rob, I'll record something, think I just got a mediocre take, and then days pass working on the mix and then by that time my ears have gotten used to it and like it better. Perhaps not a very good quality to have - because for folks like you and I, the listener is probably only going to listen once, and only multiple times if they liked it the first time. So good on you for being able to be hard on yourself and listen with a fresh mind.

• Administrator

I cant get it to play but im sure its great...

Link was bugged up.. try it now Jarom...  

@ Owen... I do particularly like 2:44... I think thats cool.. felt really solid... kinda "stuck it" on that one... ill keep that in the comp.

Sounds great Robert. To be honest I didn't think the song would work with a male singer but you proved me wrong.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

• Administrator

Enjoy... a beautiful song from Bonnie Raitt... Tracked it tonight while the Seahawks won their game to prepare for their 2nd Super Bowl win.

https://thevocaliststudio.box.com/s/on2souen92f99iu9hv93

Did a new mix of this tune, sounds better.  Fixed a few parts, added better compression.

I missed the original go. It's awesome hearing your voice in a new context. Thanks for being brave enough to show us.

It's extremely unique. I don't think I've ever heard a ballad with this much twang and without many breathier passages. Your vowel choices are all your own too. You say 'make' la bit like ike 'mehke' and more than oe of your mes skews towards 'meeehr.' 

You're in Seattle now, but where did you grow up? Was some of your vowel choice part of training or upbringing? Regardless, your singing journey has ended up with a strong identity, Rob. Keep singing songs, I know you've got to train others, work on your program and teach which takes up most of your time, but no one sings like you.

• Administrator

Thanks for your response Killer... I'm glad you got to hear the better mix of this.

Yes, hearing my voice in a different context is part of the point of doing this... I get a lot of communications from people that mean well about "rock" and "metal", which is fine... but I want to show that I can do more then heavy metal screams...

Is it extremely unique?  I am not inclined to argue with the beholder/listener... I guess it is. I don't hear it as "extremely unique"... to me it sounds more conventional and straight ahead, "low singing"...That can be a good thing... I don't feel its twangier then any other tune "per se".. and it is breathy at the beginning and the hook... but thats just me jive talking. 

Yes the lyric "make" is modified to "Mehk"... That is on purpose. I don't want to sing the "ee" diphthong on "make" (Meh-eek)... to me it sounds like karaoke amateur night when it sounds too much like speech. There is a benefit or quality that comes with subtle modifications of closed vowels to open vowels that transcends beyond the technical benefits related to singing high notes. In my program, "The Four Pillars of Singing", I point out that we modify vowels for resistance training purposes (getting stronger/training), for resonant purposes (getting a good bridge or placement/training)... and when singing, we modify vowels for the same two reasons, +... for style.

Even if it is a low note, a subtle modification of a closed vowel can give a lyric more color, more warmth... and has a pinch of "theater" or formality to it that makes it sound more sonorous. Even on songs with low notes, if every lyric sounds speech, with all the diphthongs in it, it sounds amateurish... that is a good tip for anyone reading this. One way to not sound amateurish, is to modify vowels and reduce the amount of diphthongs in your singing from time to time. Not all the time, but sometimes.  Thus, by choosing "mehk" instead of "meh-eek"... I can avoid the ugliness of the "eek" sound and keep the lyrical moment warm. It has nothing to do with dialect, its creative choice.

Rob. Keep singing songs, I know you've got to train others, work on your program and teach which takes up most of your time, but no one sings like you.

This is an insightful statement. My student schedule, and added work load I pile on top of everything else from product development of "Pillars", video production, web site development, and life cuts into my available time to ONLY do art. Some people don't get that... for me to keep my operations going, my clients happy, my product always updated and the best it can be, my teachers mentored and taken care of and even this forum, (which has taken me about 30-40 hours to complete the migration)... I have to work basically 6.5 days a week... I have chose to put the majority of my time into creating the BEST vocal training program in the world. I have been obsessed by this I suppose. When others are producing "how to sing like..." videos all day long, I'm writing a book and producing technique videos in the pursuit of always updating and improving "The Four Pillars of Singing"... it hasn't left much time for much else.

I want to leave a legacy, something that will impact the world in a more meaningful way, today and beyond... you just can't get that from ONLY doing YouTube videos. 100 years from now, few, if any will remember all the "how to sing like ... " videos on YouTube, but I hope people will still be using my program to learn how to sing better. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with "how to sing like..." videos. I think they are great, and have some relevance... thus, I'll be doing some as well, ... but videos are vapor. They are like paper cups, they are disposable... Books, and a good program, methodology can last forever...  ;) 

However,....

I'm working hard to "dig out" of that... Im simplifying my operations, (this web site migration was part of that... this new platform means I have to only manage one CMS, instead of four), ... and really putting some final touches on "The Four Pillars of Singing", is beginning to open up time for recording, writing and singing. Probably even a band this year... Its been about 4 years since I was gigging. So this audio and several more original productions that will be published in the coming weeks are evident that Im now channeling more time to singing... A lot more singing content will be produced this year. I guess you'll all be hearing more "unique"...  :)

BTW... here is a sneak preview of something else I did... this is another "out of context" project.  ENJOY!

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys

https://thevocaliststudio.box.com/s/074n8g7zmz9bwm8l0nse

;)

I like the new version. You pulled back and sang more traditionally, which I prefer, aesthetically. And it's a good mix. I could see this as a cover song on whatever album you might put out. Especially if there is room for a ballad.

Definitely you should work up "My Heroes have always been cowboys." You sing it like you wrote it.

I'm liking My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys. It does sound less eccentric to my ears, as your warm lows, sharply defined voice, and twanginess is more familiar in a country genre. It doesn't mean it is bad elsewhere, just eccentric compared to pop radio where vowels are usually less theatrical and sometimes softer. 

I've never heard a vowel I didn't find some beauty in, but hearing your interpretation, I realized people rarely discuss short 'e' sound. I've never given it enough love so I explored the area in make you're talking about.

https://soundcloud.com/killerku/eh-ay-ee

When I modified towards more on that side of the spectrum and sang casually (light), I realized it sounded a bit like Stevie Nicks:

https://soundcloud.com/killerku/singing-with-short-e-vowel

Stevie Nicks is kind of eccentric on pop radio too, but that's why she is cool and why we remember her. An army of clones gets tiresome fast. I'm happy you've got time for singing. You'll leave a legacy with your training program and the students you are training, but also with your voice and artistry. I'd rather be remembered as a unique person with an identity than someone that was 'typical' in all situations. If you dig theatrical vowel usage and it speaks to you as an artist, use them, own them, and other people can use their own vowels. :D

I hate to break it to you but you did not sound like Willy on "My heroes have always been Cowboys".  :o  You still sounded awesome.  I guess Queensryche and Country can mix. Great job.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

I think it's great. We all seem to work on our highs so much we forget to work on our lows (at least I do). So, singing this song in this octave would take an amount of control I may not even have yet in that register lol. Good job mate!

www.drop-head.com

• Administrator

I think it's great. We all seem to work on our highs so much we forget to work on our lows (at least I do). So, singing this song in this octave would take an amount of control I may not even have yet in that register lol. Good job mate!

Apart from the fact that it is a gorgeous song, that is heart felt... I think everyone has felt like this once or twice in their lives.  The other point in doing this is your point Keith... sing low, work on crooning, work on low tone colors, work on vocal fry effects... I call it, "Work on your Elvis".

• Administrator

Hey Rob,

Cool to hear you in another genre. I like the melow and ringy quality you have on your lower range.

Wish i had these baritone notes sometimes!

Wish i had these baritone notes sometimes!

Hey thanks Quentin!  I hear this from time to time from other singers. Often times, tenors. I think it is a reality. I probably take my ability to sing lower for granted... will continue to explore.  :ph34r: