• Administrator

Hey guys... I happen to stumble across this old recording this morning... thought I would share it for fun... this is me singing about 10 years ago... so don't rip on me too hard here... it was an earlier time and the production is marginal. It has some merits. 

10 Years Ago

https://thevocaliststudio.box.com/s/exzp3r8xlexwnjb2o660ama6xoksy9ck

https://thevocaliststudio.box.com/s/2asia8o13300gqt7i2or8jjd5sbvc0wg

Ill redo this later this year.. with better production values and I would like to think, more mature vocals, but I think this is decent.

• TMV World Legacy Member

Challenge? No, I just thought it would be fun to put up another version that is also old :)

I didn't mean to derail or hijack the thread, I can edit my original post if you want?

• Administrator

Huh?  Mrloud... I don't understand your response... relax!  We are just having fun here. If other people have takes of this tune, I would prefer that they share... thats what we are doing here... it doesn't have to be "all about me"... thats not what I want... your fine!

I liked what you did with the melody line on this, Robert. I had not thought of doing that. When I covered it, I was going for the original line, which I considered challenging enough. But sure, we had a QR tribute thread before but I think it would be neat to have one just for this song, arguably one of the most challenging for the stretch of range it calls for.

So, here's mine, crappy editing mix, and all. I will admit to a little cheat. The lowest note is not that strong in real life. I highlighted that part and boosted volume to make it more present in the mix.

SL - 2 by Queensryche

• Administrator

Nice effort Ron... the vocals need to be mixed more in the track and you need some sauce... some reverb... some ambiance. Some larynx dampening could warm up this sound color as well. Thanks for sharing... 

I love hearing artists at various stages. Rob, something I thought was cool was the phrasing had a unique mannerism different from Tate's in the verses. The melodies were changed a bit in the chorus. 

It adds a different dimension to the track, like if the song was a play, the character actor would be unique. When you redo it with it modern version, I'd like if you keep some original character in it. I think this is the first time I could picture how your voice differs from mine, on the lower notes there. Larynx was obviously lowered (they were super low) but you had a lot of weight in there, more than me for sure.

I like MrLoud's live version. You had cool rocker look. It's live so it isn't studio perfection, but is was a good performance, man. 

Ronws is totally unique. Never heard him you dip that low before. I actually like your low range quite a bit, but this one is dipping a bit too far into the fry. Couple notes up would probably capture the richness a bit more. I agree with rob that if we could get you some reverb and a little mixing it would really help you blend into that mix. Have you looked into that reverb plug in I was linking to for audacity? I keep meaning to get around to it.

Maybe I'll cover this song one day. Starting to feel left out of the forum standard. :D

Sounded real good guys, Robert, I really liked the sound of your voice in this. It had a nice flow to it. (Vocal Fluidity, for Silent Lucidity).

Pretty cool MrLoud.

Ronws, Your low notes are actually more solid than mine. Even though I speak around G2 I cannot sing it solid(I should be speaking around C3, old habits).

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

I love hearing artists at various stages. Rob, something I thought was cool was the phrasing had a unique mannerism different from Tate's in the verses. The melodies were changed a bit in the chorus. 

It adds a different dimension to the track, like if the song was a play, the character actor would be unique. When you redo it with it modern version, I'd like if you keep some original character in it. I think this is the first time I could picture how your voice differs from mine, on the lower notes there. Larynx was obviously lowered (they were super low) but you had a lot of weight in there, more than me for sure.

I like MrLoud's live version. You had cool rocker look. It's live so it isn't studio perfection, but is was a good performance, man. 

Ronws is totally unique. Never heard him you dip that low before. I actually like your low range quite a bit, but this one is dipping a bit too far into the fry. Couple notes up would probably capture the richness a bit more. I agree with rob that if we could get you some reverb and a little mixing it would really help you blend into that mix. Have you looked into that reverb plug in I was linking to for audacity? I keep meaning to get around to it.

Maybe I'll cover this song one day. Starting to feel left out of the forum standard. :D

I liked MrLoud's, also.

My audacity has reverb. This was an old recording but since I have already saved the thing and the effects "printed" as it were, no original files left, I cannot remix it.

• Administrator

Keith, sorry to seem selfish... just been slammed. I liked your rendition... its well done. But I have come learn that you are a great singer having heard you through the years, so it doesn't surprise me.

Nice job guys. I wouldnt mind doing this with my bass voice.   I have been singing The Lady Wore Black tuned to B the past few days and other things.

Robert where di you ge the backup tracks? Karaoke?

Nice job guys. I wouldnt mind doing this with my bass voice.   I have been singing The Lady Wore Black tuned to B the past few days and other things.

Keith has it and was the one who shared it with me. I may still have it somewhere.

• Administrator

Chris, look at the front of the forum... under "Vocal Tools & Technology"... then click on "Get Back Tracks HERE!".

^ Yeah, I had just recently noticed you had that and I thought it was cool and quite handy. Especially if someone wants the full band effect or doesn't feel like recording instruments, or just because.

Or one can commission me to record music for them...

Official Press Release - 'Book of Shadows' CD for sale now!
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/slstone
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/book-of-shadows/id611487291
http://www.slstonemusic.com
Need music with which to sing along? 50% off All Services November Sale. Sign up now! http://stonecraftmusicstudio.com

Chris, look at the front of the forum... under "Vocal Tools & Technology"... then click on "Get Back Tracks HERE!".

Hahaha. Wow, I had no clue where you guys were digging them up. Thanks for a heads up. I 'can' create a backing track for a cover, but I'd much more prefer to spend that time composing my own music. Covering is for voice practice and emotional expression for me. I'd be unlikely to include a cover on any material I'd do.

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

Hey guys... I happen to stumble across this old recording this morning... thought I would share it for fun... this is me singing about 10 years ago... so don't rip on me too hard here... it was an earlier time and the production is marginal. It has some merits. 

10 Years Ago

https://thevocaliststudio.box.com/s/exzp3r8xlexwnjb2o660ama6xoksy9ck

05.02.2015 (Today)

https://thevocaliststudio.box.com/s/2asia8o13300gqt7i2or8jjd5sbvc0wg

Ill redo this later this year.. with better production values and I would like to think, more mature vocals, but I think this is decent. 

​Ok... coincidentally, I just tracked this again last weekend... so this is a cool opportunity to hear "a singer" sing the same song 10 years ago, then 10 years later with more maturity and different sound color. I think its interesting... There are a couple spots I will probably try to punch in on, but I think its "decent+"... anytime I can go "Baritone", it tends to roll nicely for me... hope you will enjoy... 

It is neat to hear both recordings together. The old recording sounds fuzzier, the new one cleaner. Both have some really good variations of melody and you have such great articulation on the newer one. I like them both with a slight preference for the older one, probably because of the melody choices. I don't know what it is but you had a bit of Tate sound on that. But I like your voice and the newer one is more you than Tate and is just as worthy of applause.