Critique away!

• TMV World Legacy Member

Since I've posted a couple comments on other peoples threads I suppose I better come clean and allow others to do the same to me :)

These are a couple songs recorded in 2010, enjoy!

Revenge - 

Down the Line - 

edit - Soundcloud is screwing up direct links for Down the Line, I think this one is working

edit 2 - Nope, removed.

edit 3 - Now it's working again...

As a musician, the harmonic landscape of Revenge is more tickling my ears and the depth, progression, and 'size' of the composition moves me more emotionally. I'm listening to it more than once and it's a grower.

If I were to judge radio catchiness, I think Down The Line is a lot more immediate in its chorus/verse structure. I think this is useful to point out as my tastes are probably opposite of mainstream audiences that might prefer a simpler song with some simple power chords and a good hook where as me as a musician have spent most of my life acquainted with denser harmonic sounds I might find it easier to connect with these sounds. 

I like your voice, especially on Revenge. My favorite part of it is how it covers so much ground, not just range wise, but emotionally. The subdued, almost tears in your throat sound in the opening section, escalating into effortful highs really communicate a lot of emotion to me.  I like how the highest note is a bit rough and has the sound of effort into it. Not like unhealhty straining, but just like you had to 'channel' a powerful passionate emotion that maybe couldn't be expressed with 'restraint.'

One of my favorite things about it, is your voice which is not robotically perfect, but close enough it wouldn't offend most listeners. My emotions never feel 'calculated or perfect' to me. Emotionallly I feel more rough, ragged, a little out of control, and your voice has enough of these qualities to speak to me a lot.

I think your technique is good enough to communicat this style, but if you were going for modern pop radio, you might have to sacrifice a bit of the soul for auto tune. Not because you can't sing and I want it to change. It's just the current market realities. If you could prove this wrong, I'd be incredibly happy.

Anyway, a radio hit might be structured a bit more like Down the Line given current listening habits, but Revenge is enough to make me listen to it like 4 times.

Wow, thanks, KillerKu, for the very extensive review!   I agree that Down the Line is more approachable, there is a lot going on in Revenge that might turn people off.  Revenge was originally an acoustic song from another band I was in but I always thought it would make a kickin' rock song so I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I liked "Tear Down the Tower" a little more. It had the feel of "Mr Brightside" from the Killers with that shifting beat like Elaine from The Neon Trees. The poppin' high snare started out in the and or off beat then shifts to 4 on the floor for the chorus. Nice transition.

"Down the Line" is good, too, but if I were a producer trying to pick the radio hit, it would be "Tear Down the Tower."

Excellent mixing and I like the sound of your voice.