Beside You-5 Seconds of Summer Cover

• TMV World Legacy Member

Yes. I covered 5 Seconds of Summer. They're catchy dangit..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6vnDkLJZGo

Constructive criticism is always appreciated. Vocals are a bit nasally but I think it fits the genre.

It didn't sound nasal too me. It sounded a lot like the original, down to the brit accent trying to sound american, while you are american, to begin with.

Your weakest spot is the low notes. You need to get closer to the mic to get those some prominence.

It didn't sound nasal too me. It sounded a lot like the original, down to the brit accent trying to sound american, while you are american, to begin with.

Your weakest spot is the low notes. You need to get closer to the mic to get those some prominence.

Yeah, I've been trying to work on making sure I use my own voice but I still struggle at times. I used to do impressions before I learned to sing, and when I learned to sing, in order to stay on key I would impersonate the singer. It was very beneficial I just have to stop taking on the character of the original singer of the song so much when I sing. I'll try to work the mic better on the next one, thank you for all the VERY helpful advice!:)

Wow, Youtube comments were finally right for once. It does sound pop punkish. Anyway, it's good. This song is well suited to you and pretty much works with your style and range.

Mic proximity is really the most useful for those low notes, but another is you get 'woofy' down there. My voice gets woofy when my larynx is lowered and throat is open, without twang to compensate. Woofy is a cool sound imo, but if you want more clarity to match the top you could try to keep a bit more twang (tip of tongue at bottom row of teeth, arching back,  upward and wide up against the top molars). It usually adds more 'brightness, cut, and clarity.' Once I learned to 'keep' my tongue high, I could still use a low larynx sound without always going woofy. 

I guess the question is where you want to go next? If you aren't already bridging, you seem ready to go that direction as your chest voice is already doing pretty well. You might not ultimately even have to bridge for this style, iIf I recall correctly like Green Day's album, "Dookie" had a whole lot of enthusiastic chest voice which had a lot of energy, but bridging is a lot easier with less limitations later on. I think he may have learned how to bridge later on albums I like less than Dookie, but it's probably not the bridging's fault, heh.

But yeah, you sound pretty comfortable, cool style, and probably ready to just proceed to whatever your next steps are. Your chops should be improving from regular practice, but a big part of things is just where you want to go. Nice job man. I grew up on some pop punk. Love me The Clash (roots punk) and some Stooges (Raw Power specfiically, proto punk), but it was pop punk that first caught my ears growing up. It can be a cool sound and since it is intuitive for you, it could be a successful direction to go.

Wow, Youtube comments were finally right for once. It does sound pop punkish. Anyway, it's good. This song is well suited to you and pretty much works with your style and range.

Mic proximity is really the most useful for those low notes, but another is you get 'woofy' down there. My voice gets woofy when my larynx is lowered and throat is open, without twang to compensate. Woofy is a cool sound imo, but if you want more clarity to match the top you could try to keep a bit more twang (tip of tongue at bottom row of teeth, arching back,  upward and wide up against the top molars). It usually adds more 'brightness, cut, and clarity.' Once I learned to 'keep' my tongue high, I could still use a low larynx sound without always going woofy. 

I guess the question is where you want to go next? If you aren't already bridging, you seem ready to go that direction as your chest voice is already doing pretty well. You might not ultimately even have to bridge for this style, iIf I recall correctly like Green Day's album, "Dookie" had a whole lot of enthusiastic chest voice which had a lot of energy, but bridging is a lot easier with less limitations later on. I think he may have learned how to bridge later on albums I like less than Dookie, but it's probably not the bridging's fault, heh.

But yeah, you sound pretty comfortable, cool style, and probably ready to just proceed to whatever your next steps are. Your chops should be improving from regular practice, but a big part of things is just where you want to go. Nice job man. I grew up on some pop punk. Love me The Clash (roots punk) and some Stooges (Raw Power specfiically, proto punk), but it was pop punk that first caught my ears growing up. It can be a cool sound and since it is intuitive for you, it could be a successful direction to go.

Thanks for the advice! I'll try that out with the clarity thing. I've been working on bridging slightly, because I want to be the best I can be. I have a long way to go there for learning how to bridge and all. Thank you!:) And The Clash rocks btw. :D