Voice is finally 100% back, next stop world domination!

Rate this topic

James Lugo

Hey y'all. Just an update. My voice is finally 100% back. Singing from top to bottom with no static or tickle. Took almost 3 months (got sick the week before Halloween). So today marks day 1 of my journey to take my voice to a level I have only ever dreamed of. Had rehearsal this week with my band The Rebel Yells and songs that are normally easy for me to sing like Forget You, Walkin' On Sunshine and Talking In Your Sleep were oddly weird, weak and shaky. I think it's just from little to no singing for 3 months. So it is time to remedy that. Running exercises and singing songs in my hotel all day. I think the main thing is I need to start singing full tilt everyday. I have been so gun shy since getting pneumonia and not wanting to completely blow my voice out long term. I got Robert's Pillar system I'm gonna start digging into that too.

I start vocal preproduction on my new EP on Monday when I get home from LA, music is done, doing mic selection and settings Monday. The new EP has some very intense vocals, so I need to bring my A game on steroids. Hungry to learn new things from others. I'd love to hear from members on their workout regiment and voice building platform. Here's today's playlist, singing Dig as I type. Killer song to sing:

ScreenShot2015-01-17at111517AM_zpsd10095

All you need is a side kick named pinkie and you will be set ha ha..

I fell into that trap a few years ago when I got nice and sick. It took about a week after i was well to sing right. Was affraid to go full force for the fear of breaking something. I am sure as you know, when you hold back even an ounce on challenging material it will sound pretty crappy. Finally one day i said screw it, I dont care if i never speak again after putting on some horrific performances. Went full force, went through about 30 mins of being stiff and tense, then all was back to normal. I know exactly whats going through your head lol.

You are on the right track though, just let her rip!! She will hold together if you have been well for a while.

All you need is a side kick named pinkie and you will be set ha ha..

I fell into that trap a few years ago when I got nice and sick. It took about a week after i was well to sing right. Was affraid to go full force for the fear of breaking something. I am sure as you know, when you hold back even an ounce on challenging material it will sound pretty crappy. Finally one day i said screw it, I dont care if i never speak again after putting on some horrific performances. Went full force, went through about 30 mins of being stiff and tense, then all was back to normal. I know exactly whats going through your head lol.

You are on the right track though, just let her rip!! She will hold together if you have been well for a while.

Funny. Yeah I think you're right. I get home on Monday and that is gonna start the unleashing of the beast. I can't go full tilt in a hotel.

I am glad to hear that you are well. Being pretty much the same age, I would not look upon your recovery as being afraid but being smart. In fact, I think because you have done the right things, including not pushing the voice when it wasn't ready and then engaging in a recovery program is why you are now able to go full tilt boogie.

I missed your presence around here the last few years and in the public eye, as well. So, it is good to have you back on all fronts.

The recording will be excellent. Really happy to hear that I can be a part of your success here James.

PS

James and I are in discussion regarding a collaboration ... More to come later, that is just a teaser....

Yeah man good things are happening

The recording will be excellent. Really happy to hear that I can be a part of your success here James.

PS

James and I are in discussion regarding a collaboration ... More to come later, that is just a teaser....

You terrible tease ..

Shot some clips from my mic setup day. For me if I or any singer is doing a lot of songs I like if possible is to have them come in and we do mic, mic pre and compressor selection. I like doing on a day before we start tracking and I write all the settings down. Reason being finding the best sound and gain structure for a singer can take a while and entail them singing the same sections of songs 20 or 30 times. So it can be a vibe killer for tracking. I Also sometimes like to get different settings for different styles of voice, i.e. the low verse up close on the mic or the hook hitting high C and blistering. So this was just that. This record is a 5 song EP I started a few years ago and never finished. I think I kind of lost my way and wasn't singing enough and just lost heart. But I am back! I am singing 3 to 5 hours a day now and my voice is started to respond. I also now have weekend gigs with my band every weekend for the next 3 weeks. On this new EP there are a couple of tracks that are absolutely brutal to sing and I am going to have to better then I ever have to do it justice and make it slam. Very excited. 

At least you have some equipment to record with, to say the least.

That's a cool idea. Choose mics and set levels and come back another time for the actual recording so that you are not burned out on the songs in that day.

At least you have some equipment to record with, to say the least.

That's a cool idea. Choose mics and set levels and come back another time for the actual recording so that you are not burned out on the songs in that day.

Yeah it really is effective. We have our 2nd show tonight with The Rebel Yells. My voice feels perfect! Yay. What a journey. Tomorrow starts the real intensity building with my voice, gonna use a lot of my own techniques but also incorporating Robert's stuff and my old voice coach's Nate Lam and Buddy Mix. Very excited to be back into it.