Last Love Song ZZ Ward / Someone Like You Adele Mashup

• TMV World Legacy Member

So I was going to cover Last Love Song...and Someone Like You kept playing through my head as I was covering it. So I tried a mashup of the two....I don't know if I'm entirely satisfied with how it turned out...what to you guys think? do they go together? do they clash? how do i sound?  

You might need to post a link to a filesharing site or wherever you have uploaded the recording. I don't see anything to click on, so I can't hear anything.

oops! my bad! I fixed it!

I really enjoyed the cover, you have a wonderful voice :). I love it when your voice dips...it has a tinge of this haunting quality when low. Hmmm, the only criticism I can offer is that it might be interesting to hear more emphasis on the consonants or to close the ending of some words quicker- sometimes this can really help to sell that intimacy or agony in a voice for songs like these. Glottal stops I think is what I'm referring to, I advise you to research about it though because I've heard some controversial things about the technique. I don't know though, that's just me being possibly too pedantic. You can try it out and see :P(these tongue faces look ridiculous). Your voice is reminiscent to Dolores O'Riordan (lead singer from the band Cranberries)with your unique voice crack thing. Of course she is Irish and has more of a folk voice, and a lot more of this edginess...okay you both are very different haha, but there may be some things that you could learn from her and find interesting. I actually prefer the way you use the voice break, it's very subtle and works well...sometimes Dolores can go overboard in my opinion haha. You should check out some of her songs, it might be fun to experiment with :). Take my criticism with a grain of salt though because I am no professional.

I really enjoyed the cover, you have a wonderful voice :). I love it when your voice dips...it has a tinge of this haunting quality when low. Hmmm, the only criticism I can offer is that it might be interesting to hear more emphasis on the consonants or to close the ending of some words quicker- sometimes this can really help to sell that intimacy or agony in a voice for songs like these. Glottal stops I think is what I'm referring to, I advise you to research about it though because I've heard some controversial things about the technique. I don't know though, that's just me being possibly too pedantic. You can try it out and see :P(these tongue faces look ridiculous). Your voice is reminiscent to Dolores O'Riordan (lead singer from the band Cranberries)with your unique voice crack thing. Of course she is Irish and has more of a folk voice, and a lot more of this edginess...okay you both are very different haha, but there may be some things that you could learn from her and find interesting. I actually prefer the way you use the voice break, it's very subtle and works well...sometimes Dolores can go overboard in my opinion haha. You should check out some of her songs, it might be fun to experiment with :). Take my criticism with a grain of salt though because I am no professional.

Thanks for your critique! yes i know what you mean...going back and listening to it with that in mind...i agree with the closing the ends of words quicker. I did tend to hold them out and then just kind fade them out. Yeah I have also heard controversy on glottal stops...it can be a bad habit...but a good thing if it's intentional stylistically. I tend to do be on the other side of the spectrum and could afford to use them a little more often hahha :) I know what you mean when you bring up Delores O'riordan...I guess we do both have that break in the voice. :)  Iv'e always wondered about it though...is it a bad habit, or just my style? because i think i sometimes can tend to use the yodel/break for a crutch when i can't make a smooth transition from my chest to my head voice. Yes, it's purposeful, and a quirk about my voice that at the moment, I kinda like..but I don't know if it's very professional.

Oh oh...you're getting technical here...hmmm, I don't know if I'm necessarily qualified at all to answer that, but if it's something you enjoy and admire with your voice then why would you want to erase it? I'm not exactly the most keen with the professionalism of singing or you can say the most proficient methods of singing; I find a voice that is full of emotion and passion very endearing as opposed to a singer who isn't fully immersed into the song in a transcendent, compulsive way, but rather sings to persuade the audience...if that is remotely clear. On the contrary, complacence isn't always the best things either if you feel like you're not reaching your full potential. It never hurts to be able to switch between the two, perhaps practice some headvoice passaggio's which I guess is just Italian for passage. Another thing to try is just some vocal fold contracting and releasing exercises(don't really know suitable ones though...sorry)Robert Lunte, pretty sure he's the founder of this site, demonstrates some great methods which may help you. https://www.youtube.com/user/roblunte/search?query=Passagio  Your head voice sounds strong to begin with though...so really I'm at lost haha. Check out some of his videos though, he might be able to help. I'm sure a much more knowledgeable member will comment soon.  

I love your voice. There is a cool slight nasality in the very first section that prods at my ears and gives you some 'edge.'

You showed a lot of breadth in vocal styling already in this. Softer breathier passages more like Sarah Mclachlan, more stirring and intense passages more mirroring some of the current crop of popular female soul singers. You even touched on an Amy Winehouse esque tone when you said 'sometimes it hurts instead' with the phonation and melissma. Your vibrato is completely free, unpredictable and is one of the more beautiful I've heard.

The yodel thing is beautiful. You can work on your bridge more. But... I don't think you should stop that thing. It helps define you.

Anyway, your voice touches one so many things, that when coming together really just 'completes' you as an artist to my ears. Mclachlan lacks bite, Adele to me can sound a bit throaty and predictable, Winehouse could sound drunk (she's my favorite of the three partly for this reason). But with you, you have a little bit of everything and so much to offer. So many textures and emotions. If you were to delve into all of these timbres on an album, you could really hold my attention.

It's like a painting, you can use each timbre to express each color and shade it in for us to hear scene you're depicting. If I ever write a really good soulful love song, I might give it to you.

The only thing I'd suggest, is when doing a duet of some kind, like during the last sectionm consider panning (using stereo left and right) or EQ the two vocals, as they are in the same frequency zone. The way sound works in when recording two separate takes isn't like what would happen if we cloned you and recorded you and your clone at the same time. Every time something is recorded, it gets a 'full frequency' range in the mix. And when you add a new ingredient, that also gets the full frequency range, and when they 'stack' they get cluttered.

Anyway, by all means train your voice. But I would really consider how you might get connected into the music industry. There has been a boom of female soul singers with character, which is one of the few things in the modern music scene that has interested me. Someone like you could have something very interesting to offer, if you could make the right connections.

I don't have any lengthy analysis. I just really liked it. Let me know when you plan to mess something up. Otherwise, you're going to get tired me saying "I liked it."

Thank's for your comments guys. :)

Chapman123, I don't really think I am :) I mean hey, I'm 19 with no professional voice training so it's not like I've had years and years of experience. I welcome any comments. You seem pretty knowledgable to me. So thank you :)

KillerKu, Thank you for your all your lovely comments!  I really did not expect people to say such nice things haha ! Iv'e always had a love-hate relationship with my voice. I mean love to sing. And I know my voice is a little different from...but I never felt like it was enough that way to stand out. And the voices I really like listening to are sooo different from mine, that it's hard to know what techniques and stuff I should apply . What  sound's good and what doesn't. I know I have a LOT of different elements to my voice. I listen to a very wide range of music. And kinda like to adapt different things from different genres. I'm happy to hear you say it actually completes it because sometimes I feel like i'm just all over the place, style wise...and that I should narrow it down  and find one style, one genre to sing.  And I still think that I havn't quite figured out exactly who I am as an artist. But I'm getting there. Hopefully! :) Hey yeah, if you ever do write a soulful love song, let me know! I'd love to sing it :)  And thanks for the advice on recording..I'm definitely a newbie in that aspect of things! As far as getting connected to the music industry, I would love that. It's easier said than done though.