Hi. Need some thoughts

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi guys! I know this kind of site exists and I've been searching it since passed hours. So yeah, me wanting to hear some thoughts about my singing brought me here. I've been learning how to sing these past few months by myself and I do not know if I'm doing any good or better. 

So here's a link, please listen to the two recordings and give me some advice, I'll gladly accept it

Thanks! Flame me :D

~hopes

You can sing. And here is what I would like to see happen. I am not an expert and my opinion can mean nothing but start out strong. In these two clips, You start out just about whispering and then pick up some steam about halfway through. Start out in full steam.

Also, get a little closer to the mic. I could hear kids in the background, which means  you are singing so low so that no one will hear you, not even kids.

Stop that. Sing out like you meant someone else to hear it.

Hi! Thanks for the reply. I guess you hit me right on spot. The kids were making such noise and I don't want someone to hear me singing for it maybe get me embarrass because of my voice. I really thank you for saying that I can SING. It builds confidence  

Yeah dude, you need volume more than anything. It's impossible for us to hear where you're at if you're this quiet.

I hear lots of potential here. The quiet timbre is not strained, and it isn't unpleasant. 

I live in an apartment, and yeah I keep the full volume to a minimum, but you can safely do more than this volume in almost any living situation. You already sound a bit plaintive, so that can help 'curb' the volumes.

I actually have this theory that certain sounds like curbing, might be influenced by lifestyle and living situations. People living in apartment buildings (urban situations) might have to be more polite to their neighbors, so we almost have to develop, a curbed sound if we don't want to get evicted. ;) If you notice a lot of 'urban r n b' like Chris Brown or whatnot, is subdued.

In comparison, traditional soul music, was often originating in southern churches, where people were encouraged to shout or even scream 'hallelujah' at the top of their lungs. They'd get evicted from church if they didn't have some volume.

Anyway, even the plaintive sound get a lot louder than that, and it sounds good with more confidence. Trust me. And even at this volume you didn't sound terrible and pitch was better than most people who are 'trying not to be heard.' I know, I live it, but you gotta compromise towards more volume to get a confident singing voice.

Hi! Thanks for the reply. I guess you hit me right on spot. The kids were making such noise and I don't want someone to hear me singing for it maybe get me embarrass because of my voice. I really thank you for saying that I can SING. It builds confidence  

I am going to post a new thread of an old song that is a standard of mine. I sang it in spite of dinner (which I cooked) being ready, in spite of the tv being on (judicious track editing), and singing full volume that I can manage. Sing out. We all need to hear you.