how to sing faster?

Rate this topic

Benns

hey guys, 

I have been taking lessons for almost a year and a half now.. Tthings have been going great and all. I did some breathing exercises for a while at the start and it cured my habit of running out of breath when singing. However, recently i have noticed that i find it hard to sing lines really fast. Is this a breathing issue e.g., will i need to take up more breathing exercises or is this something that can be sorted via scale exercises? I however, have no problem with singing slow songs 

Thanks!

Set a metronome. Scales, arpeggios, melodies will work fine for this. Start slowly, articulate your consonants clearly and intone the notes precisely and for the right duration.

When you are satisfied with the precision and clarity, the next day increase the tempo 3 beats a minute, and repeat for a few days at the new tempo.

Velocity of articulation and note Change respond well to muscle memory and simply 'thinking faster'. For problem phrases, pull tempo back to veeeerrrryyy sssllloooowwwlllyyyyy, and practice for accuracy and clarity first. Advance tempo when you no longer have to think about the phrase. Build speed slowly and deliberately, and muscle memory will kick in as you begin to think the lick at the more rapid speeds.

I hope this helps.

Set a metronome. Scales, arpeggios, melodies will work fine for this. Start slowly, articulate your consonants clearly and intone the notes precisely and for the right duration.

When you are satisfied with the precision and clarity, the next day increase the tempo 3 beats a minute, and repeat for a few days at the new tempo.

Velocity of articulation and note Change respond well to muscle memory and simply 'thinking faster'. For problem phrases, pull tempo back to veeeerrrryyy sssllloooowwwlllyyyyy, and practice for accuracy and clarity first. Advance tempo when you no longer have to think about the phrase. Build speed slowly and deliberately, and muscle memory will kick in as you begin to think the lick at the more rapid speeds.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. So it's not a breathing issue?

No, it's a 'brain-train' thing. Your voice will only go as fast as your Mind can go, and your voice is trained to follow.

Awesome. I wish there was a way to give you +1 point, or something. Not that we need it, here. Just the same, brilliant.

I hope this helps.

i have got a licks and trills cd. Will that help?

Yes it will help. The only way to train accuracy on the notes and how fast you can change between a certain melody, lick or trill... is to do it over and over again, thinking about every detail, recording and listening to what needs improvement. 

And just like Steven said, practice slowly first, and when you do it perfectly, increase the tempo little by little.  Challenging is good, but we need to practice where we still can manage to do it perfectly if we concentrate enough.

You can use that CD if it gives you the tools. But don't worry if it does not, just pick any trill or run from a song and work it in series.