Metallica - Turn The Page (Cover Sample)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey guys, sorry for another Metallica song, but I started it so I thought I might try to do the whole thing.

Right now I have just the beginning before the chorus and I am not sure what to think about it. Could you please check it out and tell me whether it sounds at least okay? I have some pitch problems here, I suppose I'm off pitch at the beginning of that aggressive part (too high).

But I would rather like to listen to you instead of giving my biased opinions.

I'll be very grateful If you check that out.

Thank you guys!

The recording:

https://soundcloud.com/pe-ter/ttp3/s-oNQDH

You have a few waivers, probably because you are nervous. Otherwise, your pitch is good. You don't have the growly voice like James Hetfield and that is okay. I am not sure you are aware and I hope to not offend you but Metallica did this song as a cover.

The original artist is Bob Seger (and the Silver Bullet Band.) First, there was the album version, then the infamous live version. I think your voice might be closer to the original, even if you continue to use this Metallica-based backing track.

Give this a listen and see if you want to try it this way.

Thank you, rowns. Yes, I am aware that it's a cover :), I am using the Metallica version, because as I am a beginner it is easier for me right now. I try not to push myself too hard before learning more technique.

You're actually improving quite a bit. You may not notice as much as an outside listener. Pretty much just keep going for the time being. I don't want to interrupt current progress too soon.

When you get ready, you might want to look into other vowel sounds a bit later (James Hetfield loves long A, like hey) and experimenting with consciously opening the the throat ever so slightly, (5-10 percent of a yawn) just as a beginner to try to ensure you don't constrict too much.

I'm of the opinion if you throw the kitchen sink at someone too soon, it might not always help as much, cause right now you're training a mind body connection to the singing voice in general. It's a lot like other skills and your brain needs to wire the connections to work with the body fluently. No one becomes a concert pianist overnight. 

The good news, is you are not in a bad starting point to my ears, and you have progress to be made even from this point.

You're actually improving quite a bit. You may not notice as much as an outside listener. Pretty much just keep going for the time being. I don't want to interrupt current progress too soon.

When you get ready, you might want to look into other vowel sounds a bit later (James Hetfield loves long A, like hey) and experimenting with consciously opening the the throat ever so slightly, (5-10 percent of a yawn) just as a beginner to try to ensure you don't constrict too much.

I'm of the opinion if you throw the kitchen sink at someone too soon, it might not always help as much, cause right now you're training a mind body connection to the singing voice in general. It's a lot like other skills and your brain needs to wire the connections to work with the body fluently. No one becomes a concert pianist overnight. 

The good news, is you are not in a bad starting point to my ears, and you have progress to be made even from this point.

Thank you very much. My biggest problem is the fact that I am unable to be on pitch from the beginning to the end of a song, I have to repeat parts and sometimes look for the note to start off well. I have to improve my skill of matching what I hear with what I sing.

Currently if you played a note on a piano I wouldn't be able to just hit it right away (well, sometimes I would, like 50-60% of the times). I would hear that I am off pitch right away though and would hear when I am on it. I seem to have trouble with feeling which tone to produce.

Thank you very much. My biggest problem is the fact that I am unable to be on pitch from the beginning to the end of a song, I have to repeat parts and sometimes look for the note to start off well. I have to improve my skill of matching what I hear with what I sing.

Currently if you played a note on a piano I wouldn't be able to just hit it right away (well, sometimes I would, like 50-60% of the times). I would hear that I am off pitch right away though and would hear when I am on it. I seem to have trouble with feeling which tone to produce.

Have you tried bending notes? The sooner you learn how to bend a note, (it sounds like a slide) the quicker finding pitches will be. You know those siren exercises everyone does here? Give those a try, not necessarily for volume reasons, but to get your voice moving freely up and down.

That way if you can't find a note, you can slide the pitch up and down with ease, until you hit it. Even a low volume near falsetto slide, can be really useful in getting the voice accustomed to being 'moved.' Once you hit the notes, it becomes easier and easier.

Have you tried bending notes? The sooner you learn how to bend a note, (it sounds like a slide) the quicker finding pitches will be. You know those siren exercises everyone does here? Give those a try, not necessarily for volume reasons, but to get your voice moving freely up and down.

That way if you can't find a note, you can slide the pitch up and down with ease, until you hit it. Even a low volume near falsetto slide, can be really useful in getting the voice accustomed to being 'moved.' Once you hit the notes, it becomes easier and easier.

Is this sliding a good habit? I usually just try again, I don't try to slide because I'm worried that I might get a bad habit of not hitting the note and then sliding into it.