Is there something I'm doing wrong here (audio of me singing included)

Rate this topic

The Scientist

Hi,

here is me singing "Always on the run" by Lenny Kravitz.

http://www.box.net/shared/ipi1dsi70n

I think this is big step forward in my singing, because month ago I couldn't sing this song at all this high, as I was pushing my chest voice for years, and didn't have any head/mix voice. Now I think this is more the mix then chest (Am I right?) because I feel my voice resonating in the mask area of my head.

But this is still not very smooth, and it's not so easy for me to sing it. I add some raspiness to voice, cause it's the only way that I can hit this high notes, it's usually unintentional raspiness, not something I aim for but it's there anyway when I sing high, I can't hit those notes with clear voice.

So does anyone has some input on me singing, and can tell me if he/she can hear something I do wrong here?

Thanks,

Nikola

neat guitar playing :)

I'd say youre in pretty mixed voice. When you splat momentarily into falsetto, thats because you're losing chord closure momentarily. You sound a bit strained, out of breath, I think perhaps youre attacking your chords too hard with a little too much air?

I agree too. You are pulling chest somewhat with too much weight in your voice as well as too much air flow. When singing higher into your range it should feel almost like you are holding your breath and only enough air should release to make the sound, nothing more. The parts you are struggling with for now are crossing from chest resonance into head which are the hardest notes for most singers myself included.

I sometimes visualize my lungs as a ballon and my vocal cords as the neck of that ballon. Instead of releasing to much pressure all at once and having the farty sound, control the release of that pent up air pressure and learn how it feels to your body when you are doing it right. It actually requires very little air flow to make sound and the higher in pitch you go the less air flow you should make from your mouth.

I hope you understood any of what I posted! lol

p.s. At first you may need so sing at a lesser volume until you can strengthen the support of those higher notes. That's what has helped me a lot. If you can't reach the notes singing softly then they won't be there for you consistently when you sing them louder. Adding twang helps give those "throat notes" as I call them more cut and volume so that they will sound fuller and more like your chest register.

I agree too. You are pulling chest somewhat with too much weight in your voice as well as too much air flow. When singing higher into your range it should feel almost like you are holding your breath and only enough air should release to make the sound, nothing more. The parts you are struggling with for now are crossing from chest resonance into head which are the hardest notes for most singers myself included.

I sometimes visualize my lungs as a ballon and my vocal cords as the neck of that ballon. Instead of releasing to much pressure all at once and having the farty sound, control the release of that pent up air pressure and learn how it feels to your body when you are doing it right. It actually requires very little air flow to make sound and the higher in pitch you go the less air flow you should make from your mouth.

p.s. At first you may need so sing at a lesser volume until you can strengthen the support of those higher notes. That's what has helped me a lot. If you can't reach the notes singing softly then they won't be there for you consistently when you sing them louder. Adding twang helps give those "throat notes" as I call them more cut and volume so that they will sound fuller and more like your chest register.

Great post man.

You rock! Giving the man a point!

My pleasure! I pick up tidbits from all of you and sometimes it just takes one of us to put it into one cohesive post for someone else to read.

Another visualization is playing a solo on a guitar... The higher up the neck you play, the more effort it requires to bend the strings. You don't need to pick them any harder though to get the volume. The point is that yelling the notes isn't helping you to sing them. You just need to learn which muscles to coordinate to get the notes to ring cleanly. Once you understand how to do that then you can start to add effects like grit or distortion when YOU want to add it.

I'll try to post an example later today that might help me explain even better. You'll get there my friend, it just takes a bit of patience and remembering not to ever force notes to reach them.