Can't Get Next To You

• TMV World Legacy Member

I haven't posted anything for review in some time, so I was practicing and recording one of my favorite songs where all of the Temptations sing (sadly Ruffin was gone, but I love Edwards too). I got a bed track finally too,

One with the bed track: https://soundcloud.com/killerku/cantgetnexttoyouduet

And one solo: https://soundcloud.com/killerku/cantgetnexttoyousolo

There was comping done, both out of necessity, as in the original all five singers are going at it rapid fire and overlapping each other and cause once I got started, I figured why not practice it until it was more where I wanted it. I left some blue notes in there, you guys can pick them out if you want.

It's pretty representative of my 'high energy, pumped up' vocal style and where I'd like to take this voice, but if anyone has any ideas on how to tweak it or make it easier, let me know. It feels expressive to me and doesn't send me hoarse or give me problems, but it can probably be further tweaked.

Hello Killer, I would like to do a deep feedback on your song as you deserve since you always do that with mine and the rest of the fellows. So, I promise I´ll do. In the meantime, let me tell you two things:

1) I glad you recorded your voice with a bed track
2) I would like to listen to you singing other kind of song with less changes, a more stable song

Please, review and critique my latest post: Donny Hathaway - A song for you

souncloud: https://soundcloud.com/matias-azar-

I like this. Can I make a suggestion?(I'm going to anyway ;) ) I know this song is performed by the whole band, each singing their part, My suggestion is for you to sing it not trying to sound like different people singing those different parts. It seems to me the the song would work that way. Different aspects of the same personality. Keep all the highs and lows just do not try to change timbre to sound like a different person.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

I like this. Can I make a suggestion?(I'm going to anyway ;) ) I know this song is performed by the whole band, each singing their part, My suggestion is for you to sing it not trying to sound like different people singing those different parts. It seems to me the the song would work that way. Different aspects of the same personality. Keep all the highs and lows just do not try to change timbre to sound like a different person.

That's a great suggestion. I was halfway trying that, but I feel like each 'vocal style' expresses a different emotion in the original song. I could definitely reinterpret it my way. When I sing emotionally I always change timbre for each emotion, and this song has some of that vibe already where each singer is pouring out a different emotional aspect of being separated, in love, feeling powerful, yet powerless to change the situation.

Dennis Channels immense power and aggression failing to reach a goal, and when immense power fails, that furthers the gap

Eddie Channels sweetness, sensitivity, tenderness, and authentic feelings of yearning and love, when this fails, gap is widened more

Paul Channels a richness, depth, and deeper meaning, when love is more than just a fling, that fails too

Melvin channels masculinity confidence, poise, swagger, which further contrasts the person expressing the song from the goal

Otis channels.... Otis, probably a reason why he was a never a lead :D

When all of the emotions combine, it sounds like a man deeply in love, who simply cannot obtain his lover, in spite of all of his strengths, authenticity, sincerity, and confidence.

I could definitely channel the order of the emotions differently in my own version, but I think the song needs to convey most of the meanings as a straight plain Jane timbre devoid of emotional movement would probably do nothing for me. I always sing with different timbres in my singing, cause different timbres mean different things to me. I don't connect very well when singing.... A 'singular pretty tone.' It feels like muzak, elevator music, or Kenny G.

There are a lot of ways of doing this and because I had a lot of respect for the original outline, I mirrored it closer, but I bet I could alter it significantly and still cover every emotion needed to complete the song's meaning to me as a portrait of a psychological state.

Hello Killer, I would like to do a deep feedback on your song as you deserve since you always do that with mine and the rest of the fellows. So, I promise I´ll do. In the meantime, let me tell you two things:

1) I glad you recorded your voice with a bed track
2) I would like to listen to you singing other kind of song with less changes, a more stable song

Yeah, this is very dynamic song. I tend to prefer songs with more peaks and valleys in emotional presentation, but this is definitely an extreme example.

When songs get too stable, it feels like medical equipment flatlining. I'll definitely keep it in mind cause I enjoy songs that don't involve 5 different emotions interlocking into one.

You wouldn't even have to change the way you sang this, just a change in perspective would be enough. The voices sound different enough from each other that they sound imitated(not the best word and not bad imitations either).

Just like you mapped out in the above post, the different sections are different aspects of your personality. Instead of taking on the voice of the other singer let that aspect of your personality take over. It just seems to me that it would make the song more fluid and it would work with one singer singing the whole song. Like I said earlier it is a mental change not a physical change(the mental change will manifest in the physical sound).

None of this takes away from your original performace. It was pretty freakin' good. :) 

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."