The Doors Crystal Ship cover XXX

• TMV World Legacy Member

I like your tone. Lennon profile maybe helps, ha. My first advice is maybe just center your voice middle channel. It's disconcerting having you on my left side hanging out. I keep wanting to look over there. Is the John Lennon faced guy over there? 

On technique, I like kind of flat singers, like Lou Reed. But I think the area around 2:02 is heading a bit in that direction. So I think it could get some extra polish. It sounds like you might be a chest pusher, like I used to do and sometimes still do... cause I like it, but it's tough to have fine tuned control (not impossible). There are a lot of techniques that can get it a lot easier to control with numerous names and ideologies. I think I kind of twang moan.

But anyway, it's a good tone, I already like it. Keep working for control, but if you flub notes, now and then live, I'd forgive it. Dunno about modern audiences though.

I like your tone. Lennon profile maybe helps, ha. My first advice is maybe just center your voice middle channel. It's disconcerting having you on my left side hanging out. I keep wanting to look over there. Is the John Lennon faced guy over there? 

On technique, I like kind of flat singers, like Lou Reed. But I think the area around 2:02 is heading a bit in that direction. So I think it could get some extra polish. It sounds like you might be a chest pusher, like I used to do and sometimes still do... cause I like it, but it's tough to have fine tuned control (not impossible). There are a lot of techniques that can get it a lot easier to control with numerous names and ideologies. I think I kind of twang moan.

But anyway, it's a good tone, I already like it. Keep working for control, but if you flub notes, now and then live, I'd forgive it. Dunno about modern audiences though.

Great review man, was not expecting anyone to anyone actually write out one.  I really appreciate you taking the time to listen to all these covers, it's cool to know there are people like that around here.  As far as your criticism, part of my mic troubles is that it's always recording my voice in the left channel for some reason even when I mix it center.  Also, I'm definitely a chest puller lol, at least when I get past C4.  I'm trying to learn how to get in more of a easy mix sound but so far so slow.  Thanks again bro.

cPOh14H.png

I like kind of flat singers, like Lou Reed.

Lou Reed is not flat he's just all over the place pitch-wise haha

Jeremy, I think I've said it before but your voice really fits that kind of music. On the technique side there's still some things you need to figure out in your chest range. You need to be able to sing with a consistent tone quality even if it is just in your chest voice. That means your tone should not change noticeably whether high or low in your chest voice, your vowels should be more equalized also airflow and closure must be in balance. Once you can do that you can begin to color the voice for style but you have kind of a "middle place" you can work from if that makes sense?

Besides singing and teaching I also make beats and remixes. Check them out here: https://blend.io/sexybeast

Lou Reed is not flat he's just all over the place pitch-wise haha

Jeremy, I think I've said it before but your voice really fits that kind of music. On the technique side there's still some things you need to figure out in your chest range. You need to be able to sing with a consistent tone quality even if it is just in your chest voice. That means your tone should not change noticeably whether high or low in your chest voice, your vowels should be more equalized also airflow and closure must be in balance. Once you can do that you can begin to color the voice for style but you have kind of a "middle place" you can work from if that makes sense?

Yeah, definitely!  Thanks for the tips, I will work to even out the voice in my chest range more. :)

cPOh14H.png

You can try ascending or descending 5 tone scales (C D E F G F E D C) in your comfortable range (up to about C4 or maybe D4). Lip rolls and other semi occlusives will allow you to balance your airflow and closure but when you do them you should also focus on keeping your tone even. After that, try different vowels or consonant/vowel combos that work well for you, make sure the vowel doesn't change as you go up.

If your chest voice is more centered you will sound more professional/polished and also more in tune. That should also help you with your passagio troubles.

Besides singing and teaching I also make beats and remixes. Check them out here: https://blend.io/sexybeast

You can try ascending or descending 5 tone scales (C D E F G F E D C) in your comfortable range (up to about C4 or maybe D4). Lip rolls and other semi occlusives will allow you to balance your airflow and closure but when you do them you should also focus on keeping your tone even. After that, try different vowels or consonant/vowel combos that work well for you, make sure the vowel doesn't change as you go up.

If your chest voice is more centered you will sound more professional/polished and also more in tune. That should also help you with your passagio troubles.

Nice tips, I definitely understand your criticism and will begin to implement it immediately.  Through my three years of being self taught I'd say only in this last year have I really started to understand how to efficiently practice the voice where as to not set bad habits up for myself.  In the past I used to keep belting way above where I should and just assumed that's how to "stretch your range."  Nowadays, I take an honest look at where I first start getting uncomfortable (around C#4) and make sure not to push for notes that I don't truly have.

Your scale advice rings true to me for that reason as it reinforces the idea to keep the intervals where they are comfortable.  Hopefully you are right and as my voice starts to settle more in the range I do have the good habits will build and carry me up past my pesky breaks.  Thanks again for your criticism and tips.  It's nice to get genuinely good advice rather than just compliments.  

cPOh14H.png

Nowadays, I take an honest look at where I first start getting uncomfortable (around C#4) and make sure not to push for notes that I don't truly have.

Most men have a little trouble around C#4... Actually before you hit the passagio around E4 some ajustments need to be made. Some people call this upper chest, it's important that you don't start spreading the vowel there. If you get this area figured out the passagio will be less of a problem.

Your scale advice rings true to me for that reason as it reinforces the idea to keep the intervals where they are comfortable.

The main idea is to even out your voice in your lower/mid range and be able to sing there with consistent quality and set your voice up for the higher range. That's easier to do with a teacher but if you have a good ear and maybe record yourself it is doable.

Most men have a little trouble around C#4... Actually before you hit the passagio around E4 some ajustments need to be made. Some people call this upper chest, it's important that you don't start spreading the vowel there. If you get this area figured out the passagio will be less of a problem.

The main idea is to even out your voice in your lower/mid range and be able to sing there with consistent quality and set your voice up for the higher range. That's easier to do with a teacher but if you have a good ear and maybe record yourself it is doable.

This is exactly what I've been practicing for the last few months and I can already notice that part of my range is evening out more.  I have good hope for the future at the moment based off the results I've been getting.  Your advice reminds me that the main reason I believe I've struggled to get my range up is because until just recently I've always approached my passagio by spreading the vowel and adding weight instead of dropping it.  I think I just need to practice a little bit quieter on smaller vowels for awhile and things will start coordinating much better.  

cPOh14H.png

I liked it. As for recording, is there an option in your software to change a stereo track to mono? Or do you do that, already? And what kind of mic are you using?

I liked it. As for recording, is there an option in your software to change a stereo track to mono? Or do you do that, already? And what kind of mic are you using?

Thanks bro, and nice idea.  I haven't checked for that option yet but I certainly will.  I'm using an AKG Perception microphone run through a scarlett Focusrite pre-amp.  Usually the quality is really good but for some reason as of late the recording quality has been coming through tinny and without depth.  I am an amateur producer though so more than likely I'm just messing up some simple things that could be fixed.  

cPOh14H.png

Thanks bro, and nice idea.  I haven't checked for that option yet but I certainly will.  I'm using an AKG Perception microphone run through a scarlett Focusrite pre-amp.  Usually the quality is really good but for some reason as of late the recording quality has been coming through tinny and without depth.  I am an amateur producer though so more than likely I'm just messing up some simple things that could be fixed.  

You have really good equipment. What software do you record to? Or is it just recording into Windows' generic sound recording thing?

On the panning thing, if for some reason the mic is sending your voice into a left channel. If you h ave the isolated voice file, you can put it into a recording program like audacity and duplicate it to create a 'double' tracked thing. I use Sonar, and when dabbling with audacity I get really frustrated cause of the lack of 'real time' monitoring of things like EQ or compression, but if you were to send the raw voice track, I or many here could probably turn it stereo which forces it to come out both ears.

I'm a really huge Beatles fan and a big fan of 60s music, it might be my favorite era, but wow do a lot of their stereo mixes suck. Vocal on the left, drums and bass on the right, a tambourine in the middle or horrible crap, hahaha. I almost always prefer the mono mixes from that era. They were just like all of us back then and doing a bunch of random things with the music.

You have really good equipment. What software do you record to? Or is it just recording into Windows' generic sound recording thing?

I run it through mixcraft, and thanks for your compliment man.  It's not too pricey either so it's nice.

On the panning thing, if for some reason the mic is sending your voice into a left channel. If you h ave the isolated voice file, you can put it into a recording program like audacity and duplicate it to create a 'double' tracked thing. I use Sonar, and when dabbling with audacity I get really frustrated cause of the lack of 'real time' monitoring of things like EQ or compression, but if you were to send the raw voice track, I or many here could probably turn it stereo which forces it to come out both ears.

I'm a really huge Beatles fan and a big fan of 60s music, it might be my favorite era, but wow do a lot of their stereo mixes suck. Vocal on the left, drums and bass on the right, a tambourine in the middle or horrible crap, hahaha. I almost always prefer the mono mixes from that era. They were just like all of us back then and doing a bunch of random things with the music.

You are a huge Beatles fan hunh?  You are talking to the ultimate Beatles fanboy of all time man.  You could say any album name and I could tell you the track listing all the way through, who sings what notes on the song, who is doing what on the harmony, etc, etc.  I have to agree with you that some 60s mixes are a bit strange, but that style of producing has grown on me in a way.

cPOh14H.png

I run it through mixcraft, and thanks for your compliment man.  It's not too pricey either so it's nice.

You are a huge Beatles fan hunh?  You are talking to the ultimate Beatles fanboy of all time man.  You could say any album name and I could tell you the track listing all the way through, who sings what notes on the song, who is doing what on the harmony, etc, etc.  I have to agree with you that some 60s mixes are a bit strange, but that style of producing has grown on me in a way.

You sound better center panned. Next tech things you could work, one is a better pop filter of some kind. Panty hose wrapped around a coat hanger works (seriously) if you have any lady friends or just swing that way for whatever reason.

There is also digital clipping, especially on the last note. Digital clipping is when volume gets too loud for whatever digital format you're using (CDs have a lower noise roof than newer formats, which contributes to the loudness war). So you can turn down a pre amp on your mic, or turn down the volume in  your mix until it doesn't crackle.

Yeah, I'm a huge Beatles fan, but have never had a meticulous attitude to much of anything. They got me into singing and making music more seriously, but that was a decade ago. Anyway, your chest tone is really good. Great resonance and has a cool weight to it.

You sound better center panned. Next tech things you could work, one is a better pop filter of some kind. Panty hose wrapped around a coat hanger works (seriously) if you have any lady friends or just swing that way for whatever reason.

LOL, yeah man I'm actually wearing some right now! Lady friends are overrated! :D But in all seriousness, thanks for the tips, I can definitely try that out.  I've been meaning to get one but just haven't done so yet.

Anyway, your chest tone is really good. Great resonance and has a cool weight to it.

Thanks man, I am quite happy with my chest voice at this point in my vocal training.  I just gotta gotta smooth out my breaks and I'll be a happy guy.  Luckily, I feel I am making good progress so I am not too worried there.  

cPOh14H.png