The Way Love Goes (Brian McKnight)

• TMV World Legacy Member

I don't know the song but I think you have a smooth voice and I could not tell  you were suffering from an ailment. And I like your articulation. Crisp without being over-done. Sounds like toast, huh? :)

It sounds good. I think it's a bit closer to a lighter mix you were poking around for in the other thread in the introduction as I can hear some of the air. So I think you may have improved some that fast.

You're in a position where further training will get you where you need to go. Some of the runs will get more polished in time if you keep practicing them, but they are already at a speed I would start losing control. The only thing I would recommend, is if you want to be a run kind of singer, I'd spend specific practice time doing them slowly, and extremely cleanly and speeding it up.

It's really about that precision and for singers to pull that off perfectly, isolating and nailing it perfect, at whatever speed is possible and speeding it up, I think is the only real way. My voice gets wobbly if I wing it, and I haven't practiced these skills enough yet.

And I like your articulation. Crisp without being over-done. Sounds like toast, huh? :)

Sounds sexy thank you!

Some of the runs will get more polished in time if you keep practicing them,

Actually when I sing light like this I have a hard time controlling my voice. My runs are much better when I'm singing more full on.

Besides singing and teaching I also make beats and remixes. Check them out here: https://blend.io/sexybeast

That one sounds even better. It sounds like you're approaching a level of polish that is definitely gonna be marketable. You might need to be thinking about mics, production, and mixing if you intend to market online. Lets say you get  your voice in a really polished context, and someone hears it in that context, it could help you gain visibility.

Most people would hear a raw recording on a lame mic and assume the singer is worse than a produced singer on a good mic. As singers, hopefully we know this isn't the case, but I really do think you're good enough that 'showing your voice in the best context' could be at least equally as important as training.

By the way, its' been on my mind for awhile. But that movie "Sexy Beast" was just nuts. Ben Kingsley's performance was insane. If anyone here likes weird, intense movies that are totally out of left field with great acting. Check it out.

But that movie "Sexy Beast" was just nuts.

That movie's the bomb!

Most people would hear a raw recording on a lame mic and assume the singer is worse than a produced singer on a good mic. As singers, hopefully we know this isn't the case, but I really do think you're good enough that 'showing your voice in the best context' could be at least equally as important as training.

You are absolutely right... The thing is I hate recording myself as soon as I put headphones on I freak out!

Besides singing and teaching I also make beats and remixes. Check them out here: https://blend.io/sexybeast

Brian McKnight is one of my favourite "current" soul singers. You have a nice tone but I think intonation is slightly hit and miss especially when you do some of the runs....as Killer Ku suggested earlier, the best way is to work through each individual run slowly and then bring it up to speed. In my experience, often with an intricate vocal part it's not the part itself standalone that's hard but coming to it in real time during the song and going to the next part accurately (just like with tapping or sweep picking licks on guitar), so it's important to practice with the rest of the song as much as possible too. All the best!

Says the first one (The Way Love Goes) is removed, but I listened to One Last Cry. Sounds great man, I like all the riffs and runs you got going. Very pro. I'm not so much into RnB and soul, but I'd say you got this style by the balls. Great work!

You are absolutely right... The thing is I hate recording myself as soon as I put headphones on I freak out!

So, get over it. Your avatar is of a guy with enough confidence to wear a speedo. Live up to that, just a little.

And I agree with Killer. Either you need a better mic or you need to get closer to the one you are using. The sound is a little thin and some close proximity will add some depth to it.

Vat's thanks for listening. I posted an other one the runs are better there!

I really like your voice!! I wonder when are you going to récord yourself on a better quality along a bed track

Thanks Bono :)

Says the first one (The Way Love Goes) is removed, but I listened to One Last Cry. Sounds great man, I like all the riffs and runs you got going. Very pro. I'm not so much into RnB and soul, but I'd say you got this style by the balls. Great work!

Sorry I had to remove that one for security reasons haha. Was my second maybe third time singing the song. I have to sing it some more, especially since I like to improvise I better know the song well. Maybe I'll post it later ;)