Paranoid Android - Radiohead

Rate this topic

So I worked on this cover here a few days ago, but didn't want to spam the forum with it:

This is the more tender lilting side of my voice I'm woring on. It's kind of the yin to my yangish David Ruffin esque in your face style.

Does anyone have any technical advice on kind of improving this kind of half falsetto/half not style? I really like the style and feel like it is going somewhere but it's pretty tough to navigate. To keep it soft, fragile, vulnerable, but defined.

Yeah, the break could maybe have a repeat of the instrumental section prior to going into it as it is a bit abrupt.

The backing track would be nice. I originally intended to make my own backing track but my bass is broken. The output jack is busted so the sound is maybe 5 percent of what it should be. I'm also getting crazy sounds through my sound card when I try to plug guitar into my mix. So a lot of tech problems are going on which are frustrating me and could be potentially expensive to fix.

When that gets sorted more, I'd like to go back to it and try to finish a backing track, maybe even including drums if I can figure out an appropriate interpretation on an e drum kit.

Very nice singing overall. Some parts were quite impressive, esp the gritty singing and the more full-voiced passages after.

I can't talk much in technical terms but it sounds to me also like the transition from a fuller sounding tone to the breathy, falsetto type sound or vice-versa could stand to be more seamless. I find that learning some Jeff Buckley tunes really helps a lot with dynamics, especially specific to songs of this type.

Btw I love Radiohead, esp this album (OK Computer).

I really like this and it is totally in your "wheelhouse." So, I give to you a compliment I don't give as often as some might think I do. If you decide to record an album and do a cover song (most artists do. Led Zep did a cover on their first album.), do this one. Pay the copyright fee to get legal use and then record it, pretty much like this. I am a member of the "less is more" club. And the effects and values you chose here are subtle. So, I may differ from others on what I would choose as mixing values but I am not the engineer on this project and certainly not a recording engineer in real life. (Funny sidenote, because of my master license, Texas acknowledges that I am an electrical designer, basic electrical engineering for buildings and structures. And often, I have to create circuit diagrams and symbols for plans to be approved by cities to build arbors, cabanas, pergolas, outdoor kitchens like you see bobby Flay using. lol )

Sorry for the digression. Keep doing this type of thing.

A bit delayed in response, but thanks Vats. I agree there could be a bit more seamlessness in that weird zone. I think I'm improving on it already. Part of it, is I keep discovering I can use more air than I would have thought back when I was having nerve pain. I've listened to Grace a few times from Buckley, and he's a great choice as he rides in that strange ambiguity.

Ronws, yeah if I were to include a cover on my album, I think this song is closest to my artistic temperament. It works for my voice but also my personality so that's a good observation and I'll definitely be thinking about including a cover.

From what I've read it's more complicated legal stuff though to deal with and supposedly I'd have to pay like 9 cents per CD or something like that. I'd probably be best off keeping things simple without a record label or lawyer to handle those kinds of details.