Feedback on my voice

Rate this topic

Hi!..I'm new to this forum and I'm loving it already.Hoping to have a great time ahead here.

To start with,I've had no vocal training whatsoever and I'm hoping to start learning from here:)

But just in case,here's a recording of my voice.

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions on areas of improvement and where to start from here.

At first I was kind of like... :huh:

But then I listened to it more and it started getting more badass. There's a swagger to the rhythms and voice is coming from a really unique place. It isn't bad, it's even in tune pretty well. It's just different it's like I needed a double take.

You have a bit of a vocal fry timbre, which means you probably aren't singing with much air and aren't projecting much. You have a bit of a short 'e' sound kind of like Stevie Nicks gets that gives it kind of a 'beh' sound. There's a bit of kind of nasal thing, that sounds a bit stuffy, but it has a lot of personality.

It's actually a really interesting and cool starting point for a voice to be. If you want to achieve a broader audience you'd likely need to modify it more towards conventional singing, but how much, I'm not sure.

It commands attention, and isn't bad. Some things I could suggest would be maybe to try projecting more. Like you're calling out a bit to someone across the room. You might also be able to open some resonators to project a bit more. I helped my friend open a resonator, by having her imagine a 'swelling of a balloon' in the back of her throat/mouth. It would need to be relaxed. 

You have room for more air in your tone, so if you feel comfortable with an invisible H it can work, but when you sing quietly with vocal fry it kind of uses very little air anyway.

I'm not sure what happens if you sing with more projection, so I'm not sure how your support is working yet. The exercise I give people just in case, is to inhale through a real or invisible straw until you are relatively full, then exhale an 'ssss.' You'll feel engagement the area above stomach and below rib cage. If you keep that feeling of engagement that you get when you do the sss sound there is a good chance you're supporting.

Overall, I think it's filled with potential. It's got a lot of character and you could end up with a really unique and intriguing voice, but I'm already growing to appreciate it for what it currently is. I love the passion, the phrasing, and the quirkiness. But if you add some conventional voice training you might be able to blend the character with something more accessible. I'm excited to hear more.

At first I was kind of like... :huh:

But then I listened to it more and it started getting more badass. There's a swagger to the rhythms and voice is coming from a really unique place. It isn't bad, it's even in tune pretty well. It's just different it's like I needed a double take.

You have a bit of a vocal fry timbre, which means you probably aren't singing with much air and aren't projecting much. You have a bit of a short 'e' sound kind of like Stevie Nicks gets that gives it kind of a 'beh' sound. There's a bit of kind of nasal thing, that sounds a bit stuffy, but it has a lot of personality.

It's actually a really interesting and cool starting point for a voice to be. If you want to achieve a broader audience you'd likely need to modify it more towards conventional singing, but how much, I'm not sure.

It commands attention, and isn't bad. Some things I could suggest would be maybe to try projecting more. Like you're calling out a bit to someone across the room. You might also be able to open some resonators to project a bit more. I helped my friend open a resonator, by having her imagine a 'swelling of a balloon' in the back of her throat/mouth. It would need to be relaxed. 

You have room for more air in your tone, so if you feel comfortable with an invisible H it can work, but when you sing quietly with vocal fry it kind of uses very little air anyway.

I'm not sure what happens if you sing with more projection, so I'm not sure how your support is working yet. The exercise I give people just in case, is to inhale through a real or invisible straw until you are relatively full, then exhale an 'ssss.' You'll feel engagement the area above stomach and below rib cage. If you keep that feeling of engagement that you get when you do the sss sound there is a good chance you're supporting.

Overall, I think it's filled with potential. It's got a lot of character and you could end up with a really unique and intriguing voice, but I'm already growing to appreciate it for what it currently is. I love the passion, the phrasing, and the quirkiness. But if you add some conventional voice training you might be able to blend the character with something more accessible. I'm excited to hear more.

Thanks for the suggestions and the compliments buddy:)...it made my day:)..honestly:)

Just a couple of doubts...what does support mean?

And should I do the 'sss' exercise right before singing or should I practice it on a regular basis so that It becomes second nature?

I'd be very grateful if you could clarify that for me.

And what should I look for in conventional voice training?I'l do my best right now with whatever that's available for free.

Honestly,I can't afford to take a paid-course right now,and I would if I could,so I'm just doing this on my own with a few pointers from someone who could guide me:)

Also,can you suggest a basic vocal warm-up for me so that I can get started?

There's so much info out there that I get confused as to what to follow:)

Thanks a lot in advance:)