Does carrying "too much weight" in your head voice = pulling chest?

Rate this topic

miss pk

A few quick questions - I read an article that said someone got nodules from "oversinging" -she was"carrying too much weight into her head voice". Is "oversinging" simply defined as carrying too much weight in your head voice, and is "carrying too much weight in your head voice" the same thing as "pulling chest voice"? Thanks!

i would say "oversinging" could be defined as a few things such as trying to sing to higher a pitch in pure chest voice without either going into a belt or bridged/mixed coordination, pushing/forcing too much air whilst singing, using too much muscle-such as involing constricting muscles, singing constantly in tone/timbre that is much heavier than your natural tone/timbre.

i would assume that the comment you mention is refering to singing constantly in tone/timbre that is much heavier than your natural tone/timbre. this type of oversinging could be done in both head and chest voice so its not quite the same thing as pulling chest. pulling chest is trying to sing high pitches above the passaggio in the same way as chest voice without incorporating a belt or bridged/mixed technique/coordination. if you want a more literal, physical explantion of what is happening when someone is pulling chest im sure someone like Steven can give you a more thorough explantion than i.

if you keep holding on to the thickener muscles without letting the lenghteners kick in, you get pulling up chest. (or a disappropriate proportion of thickener muscle). If you drop the thickener muscle, you get falsetto.

Problems with pulling chest are that they limit your range (high C for males), also they are usually the default position for untrained singers. I think it's wise to train them how to get a balanced coordination to go up higher, and then they can learn how to pull that chest safely (it can be done safely, however most untrained people do NOT respect the rules for do so, and if you dont, itll hurt).

A possible problem with the defintion of pulling up chest: People who get first confronted with it get to think then that they chest voice shouldnt be pulled up, which is totally wrong. Your chestvoice should be taken up, however not disapropiate to the amount of headvoice. (in order for you to go higher and higher - certain times youd want the chest to be more then usual).

However with this clarification you understand now that when people say he pulls up chest, it simply means that they lack a healthy amount of head resoance in their sound related to the pitch they are singing.

A possible problem with the defintion of pulling up chest: People who get first confronted with it get to think then that they chest voice shouldnt be pulled up, which is totally wrong. Your chestvoice should be taken up, however not disapropiate to the amount of headvoice. (in order for you to go higher and higher - certain times youd want the chest to be more then usual).

Its been helpful to me to discover the sensation of where in the body you're resonating, for example during glissandos, feeling the resonance gliding up up into the head when you ascend and descend.

For example, D4 resonates at about tongue level for me, G4 is at about nostril level and so on - thats the sensation at least.

Cse people singing good in pulled up chest I consider to be singing in overdrive, and overdrive has a limit, namely

C5, for males. I see overdrive as the balanced way to pull chest, and if you dont respect the rules and limits of it you wind up with an inbalanced coordination of it. Correct me if I'm wrong.