To be with you(Mr. Big) cover - aravindmadis [Cord closure issue]

Rate this topic

This is a monstrously tough song for me.  So currently, I am happy with being able to sing all notes.  Perhaps this is just out of my skill set now, so I am not seeking perfection in this version, but areas that I can improve.. I plan to do a re-post in the next few weeks when I have reached a higher level in my skill set..

I am not at all happy with the ad lib section.  I am not able to get enough cord closure on the high head voice notes and it sounds breathy to me. How do I fix this?  Are there any exercises that I can do? I am seeking specific inputs relating to this.. 

Also any other technical glitches....

As always, a big thank you to everyone who finds the time to listen and drop a few sentences....  :)

Good work and an excellent song choice!

You have a soulful voice and good tone.

Technically this sounds fine to me, you hit the right notes and even though you're in high register singing loud, it doesn't sound too shouty.

When it comes to hitting highs, Im definitely not the guy you want to ask about it. :)

Sounds good, but to be really honest I heard again the cartoon sound... not all the time, though.. This is a hard song and I think you will sing it very well. But personally, I would leave for later this track and try some songs that include some low notes

Hey Aravind, You were singing pretty much all the notes right, but it felt shouty to me, as if you were trying to push hard to reach the notes. I think you would benefit if you added the cry to your singing. As this song is light and more mellow, you don't need to approach it as a typical hard rock song, you can go a bit lighter just adding the cry, and it will also help you conserving energy. Still, awesome first attempt! Way better than when I first tried this. If you need help to understand how to produce the cry I talked about, you could check Tony O'Hora's videos (vocal power UK). When I first watched them they didn't help me at all because I didn't get how he did it, but then it made so much sense to me. I hope it helps. Keep on rocking man!

I agree with Gneetapp only from the perspective of how close you want to get to the original. You technically did the notes at the right pitch. In the original, "lay it on the line" is more of a cry than the kind of belty sound you did. But that is an aesthetic consideration and only valid if you are trying to sound like the original singer. I do like the cackle you get on the high notes. It gives a little rasp that makes that note jump out and bite the listener.

Sounds good, but to be really honest I heard again the cartoon sound... not all the time, though.. This is a hard song and I think you will sing it very well. But personally, I would leave for later this track and try some songs that include some low notes

Thanks Bono.. I wouldn't try this out in an audition! :)  My approach to singing is always to try to sing the song out of my reach or "just" out of my reach/skill set.. I have nothing to lose in this forum and I always hear interesting feedback that takes me to newer areas/styles that I would't normally know.  

Hey Aravind, You were singing pretty much all the notes right, but it felt shouty to me, as if you were trying to push hard to reach the notes. I think you would benefit if you added the cry to your singing. As this song is light and more mellow, you don't need to approach it as a typical hard rock song, you can go a bit lighter just adding the cry, and it will also help you conserving energy. Still, awesome first attempt! Way better than when I first tried this. If you need help to understand how to produce the cry I talked about, you could check Tony O'Hora's videos (vocal power UK). When I first watched them they didn't help me at all because I didn't get how he did it, but then it made so much sense to me. I hope it helps. Keep on rocking man!

Thanks, I will check it out..  I am actually not even sure that I am belting(which I understand as singing with loud volume) or spending a lot of energy.. That I think is an auditory illusion when you hear the intensity and grit.  I am actually pretty relaxed singing this song.. Maybe I will take the time to record a video.. In my singing, I always try to visualize myself being completely relaxed even singing very difficult songs.  I now have confidence in my range and more importantly bridging to be relaxed(mentally and physically).. 

This song gives the illusion that the singer is actually killing himself, but really, I am not!  

Sounds good, but to be really honest I heard again the cartoon sound.

I agree with Bono.

Aravind, I would love to hear what your lower range sounds like. Could you post something?

How you're approaching your lower and mid range is quite important for your higher range. A lot of people take the lower range for granted just because they speak there and can sing there easily but that doesn't make it correct... The small mistakes you make in your lower range will often turn into big mistakes by the time you get to your higher range.

Range is not a problem. Instead you should focus on quality. You need to get familiar with how your voice is supposed to sound like. What is "home base" for your voice. A teacher can help you with that.

I agree with Bono.

Aravind, I would love to hear what your lower range sounds like. Could you post something?

How you're approaching your lower and mid range is quite important for your higher range. A lot of people take the lower range for granted just because they speak there and can sing there easily but that doesn't make it correct... The small mistakes you make in your lower range will often turn into big mistakes by the time you get to your higher range.

Range is not a problem. Instead you should focus on quality. You need to get familiar with how your voice is supposed to sound like. What is "home base" for your voice. A teacher can help you with that.

Beast.. I will do that..I have long wanted to cover "Silent lucidity" by Queensryche and i will post it in a few days.. That is about as low as I can go.. I will also recording me speaking so that you can see if there is any difference.. 

I understand what you mean by "Home base" for the voice.  I have historically recorded an practiced with effects on and I am pretty sure it has affected the way I sing, practice and record.  Only very recently I started recroding with "direct monitor" and instantly I could feel a difference.  I am also buying an amp for my headphones, since the volume with direct monitoring is very low on 2i2 with my headphones(HD 280 pro).. I am not happy with how I hear my voice.  I am hoping it will help.. Also, it took me a long time to learn to bridge and connect properly and I did not frankly speaking focus on tone at all till.  

Till very very recently, I had no idea how to sing low and middle range notes(maybe I still don't).  I used to get out of breath very soon while singing legatos.  Only after reading your feedback about spoken voice, I started to think about it and started singing a little differently.  

I feel that the various parts of my voice are coming together and I will be able to see some improvements in the months to come..