Can I sing?

• TMV World Legacy Member

To put it simply I do not think I can sing. However, my family does and well compared to them I'm a rock star. Nonetheless I'm pretty sure I suck. If you recognize my voice and know me IRL please don't approach me that would embarrass the heck outta me. 

All of these are fall out boy songs because they seem to be the easiest for me to master. (I know not considered easy singing) 

I couldn't find in the rules where it said I couldn't use the original song so I did with my singing. If that's against the rules I'm sorry. I claim fair use because I do not want a profit off of these. 

Uma Thurman

https://app.box.com/s/uz0ji5aoij38e0insap8b5568i7st7zi
Centuries

https://app.box.com/s/ghzfrqf7b17o3gjcztog0evscmbwcge8

thnks fr th mmrs

https://app.box.com/s/4g3yq2w4ww51gt8704e4bwn331n1mxw7

EDIT- Note I'm NOT looking for recording advice! I know it is terrible. The mic itself is pretty bad. I simply want to be judged on the singing. 

You can sing the right notes, but you sing them one octave lower.

As far as I can tell, your tone is ok.

You have a good starting point there, I've heard much, much worse.

If singing is something you enjoy doing, go for it.

With training you could sing in the original key.

I already have a deep voice. That doesn't even sound like me when I sing. I can also sing an octave lower but it sounds much worse. I have found that this octave is the only one that is halfway decent. Do most singers have 3 octaves?

You definitly can sing. Your tone and pitch are pretty good, and I heard an interesting sound in your low range which I think you should explote. To be really honest, I don´t like the songs you chose, but this is personal taste... I think you could do very well some of Michael Buble, Harrison Craig, Josh Groban, in case you like it

Please, review and critique my latest post: Donny Hathaway - A song for you

souncloud: https://soundcloud.com/matias-azar-

I already have a deep voice. That doesn't even sound like me when I sing. I can also sing an octave lower but it sounds much worse. I have found that this octave is the only one that is halfway decent. Do most singers have 3 octaves?

Yes, for the most part, most voices can cover a 3 octave range of sounds. In opera, you would primarily stick to about 2 octaves because that is how you would be cast.

As for low voices singing high, I can offer the example of Phil Anselmo on "Cemetary Gates." Opposed to his natural speaking voice.

But here is a song that your voice would be awesome on and you should do.

Man, I love that song "Couldn't Get it Right." I might just have to do it.

Wow that is quite a range. Its not that I just can't sing (meaning sound bad) it's I can not get my voice higher. Eh voice lessons would probably do it but it seems to me that although I can keep a tune I don't have any special ability beyond that.

Wow that is quite a range. Its not that I just can't sing (meaning sound bad) it's I can not get my voice higher. Eh voice lessons would probably do it but it seems to me that although I can keep a tune I don't have any special ability beyond that.

Good singing is not about high you can go. The first thing any audience really notices about a singer is tone and presentation. Don't worry about your range. Find a style that you can do. And yes, it is okay to change the key of a song to suit you. I have lowered the key on a song. I have raised the key on another song. And it is not always about limitations of the voice. It is about getting a tone at certain parts of the range. One professional engineer who's course I have audited mentions having a singer try a song in a few different keys until he hears the right thing in the singer's voice. And it is never about the extreme ends of the voice. It is about the right tone.