Head voice and breaks

Rate this topic

Elvis

Recently i made a thread where i posted a siren goi ng up to C#5 and people said it was a head voice...so i tried to apply similar thing to singing and even tough im not having a HUGE proggress i am slowly learning to find that configuration..

So i decided to record another short clip to demonstrate what i am doing..

So is this also head voice or not...also notice my break down at the bottom in the end of the clip...any tips on how to strenghten that

https://app.box.com/s/kntp1krd9qyo0lxsg4mq6kcpa7bv9yor - new clip

https://app.box.com/...5xydo3mo6usnr8j - siren from the old thread for comparison

Dude... that sounds great! Full and connected B)

I would say the best way to work on vocal breaks is slow sirens... try an octave siren nice and slow through that area.

Seriously!? wow guess im on a right track....ty bro

Seriously!? wow guess im on a right track....ty bro

Does it sound different to your own ears without the recording? It does for me and I thought I had been doing it wrong. But when I started recording it and playing back the onsets, they sounded full and connected.

Does it sound different to your own ears without the recording? It does for me and I thought I had been doing it wrong. But when I started recording it and playing back the onsets, they sounded full and connected.

I wouldnt say different but i cant judge myself as others can..and my lack of knowledge limits me in troubleshooting the problem.. so im kinda critical and dont trust my ears..esspecially with fiancee keep shuting me up and telling me i squeal like a cat being strangled xD

This is a disconnected sound and that's why it breaks. That type of sound only has power when you get into the really high range. And as I said it is disconnected from your chest voice. If you take it down too far you won't have any power and if you try to bring in more chest you will break. Also it doesn't sound like you know how to sing comfortably around A4-C4 but I might be wrong...

https://app.box.com/...5xydo3mo6usnr8j - siren from the old thread for comparison

Now this one has a little bit of chest in it. It's still quite light but when you get past a C4 you can hear it gets more power and it's usable there. But for singing in the E4-A4 area this would be too light. Vocalizing like that has it's uses especially if you just found this "coordination" you might want to get a little used to it, or if you're used to pushing too much. You are basically working the "release" here.

If you want more power however: you need to be more anchored in your chest for the first note (start stronger). If you start stronger you can drag more weight up but I don't know if you can handle it at this point.

Also in that sample you are losing cord closure when you get to your bridge range. For now you might wanna try exercising with consonants that give you a bit of a hold on like 'm' or 'n'.

This is a disconnected sound and that's why it breaks. That type of sound only has power when you get into the really high range. And as I said it is disconnected from your chest voice. If you take it down too far you won't have any power and if you try to bring in more chest you will break. Also it doesn't sound like you know how to sing comfortably around A4-C4 but I might be wrong...

Now this one has a little bit of chest in it. It's still quite light but when you get past a C4 you can hear it gets more power and it's usable there. But for singing in the E4-A4 area this would be too light. Vocalizing like that has it's uses especially if you just found this "coordination" you might want to get a little used to it, or if you're used to pushing too much. You are basically working the "release" here.

If you want more power however: you need to be more anchored in your chest for the first note (start stronger). If you start stronger you can drag more weight up but I don't know if you can handle it at this point.

Also in that sample you are losing cord closure when you get to your bridge range. For now you might wanna try exercising with consonants that give you a bit of a hold on like 'm' or 'n'.

Apot on bro...i can sing chesty and beefy up to A4 but i break ifbi go higher if i sing like that...but if i sing lightly like this i can get up...for example i can get to that G5 like that if is start with that siren i did in the old thread...but yes..i have no effective way to sing between A4-C5...

And this is first time im able to do this...i have been pulling chest Always and A4 was my top note

And this is first time im able to do this...i have been pulling chest Always and A4 was my top note

Then I would sugest you practice like in the 2nd sample for a while. First make sure you are releasing nicely no tightening or pulling. Try shorter scales also (one octave). Then you can add a little bit of cord closure. Consonants can help you with that: "mum mum mum", "nuh nuh nuh", "gug gug gug" etc...

Like beast said, try consonantants and excersises like "mum mum mum" or "bub bub bub". I personally don't like the Gs because in my language I do them differently and don't help much.

Those particular excersises also helped ME find my mixed voice, and your voice sounds a lot stronger than mine was at the time.

Things that could help is to imitate Patrick Star's voice and do an ascending siren with that voice using "bub bub bub", a mid to low larynx and ywaning quality of Patrick might help you find more steady and constant fold closure on that G4-C5 area. 

Other sensation is the feeling of smoking? Like when you inhale and try to talk without releasing the air, haha. Without choking of your throat, of course and instead try to keep it at relaxed as possible, try to go "mum mum mum " upwards without losing that "stoned", retaining feeling in the throat. That also could help you find steadier pressure.
If you are doing it wrong your throat will feel bad or even tickle. If you do it correctly it should feel very free and feel like nothing.

Good luck, mate! Please post a clip if you try any of these to see how it goes :D

Like beast said, try consonantants and excersises like "mum mum mum" or "bub bub bub". I personally don't like the Gs because in my language I do them differently and don't help much.

Those particular excersises also helped ME find my mixed voice, and your voice sounds a lot stronger than mine was at the time.

Things that could help is to imitate Patrick Star's voice and do an ascending siren with that voice using "bub bub bub", a mid to low larynx and ywaning quality of Patrick might help you find more steady and constant fold closure on that G4-C5 area.

Other sensation is the feeling of smoking? Like when you inhale and try to talk without releasing the air, haha. Without choking of your throat, of course and instead try to keep it at relaxed as possible, try to go "mum mum mum " upwards without losing that "stoned", retaining feeling in the throat. That also could help you find steadier pressure.

If you are doing it wrong your throat will feel bad or even tickle. If you do it correctly it should feel very free and feel like nothing.

Good luck, mate! Please post a clip if you try any of these to see how it goes :D

Bro i know the sensation very well..im a smoker and im not proud of it but funny fact is that i was trying exactly what u described here intuitivelly..my toughts were that that will give me compression and cord closure.

I will deffinatelly keep uploading clips as i go

Like beast said

Oh please, you can call me Sexy!

Xamedhi, I'll have to listen again but I do not remember hearing a high larynx or him raising the larynx too much for the higher notes. The 'm' or 'n' consonants will provide him with a bit more hold on than the vowel only. If he needs more he can hold on to that consonant a bit more or go to 'b' or 'g'. He doesn't need the dopey exagerated sound in my opinion. Also, a dopey sound will actually lessen cord closure not increase it. A nasty witchy sound on the other hand will naturally increase closure.

I agree with you :P   Though, we are not looking for a lot of closure, just his mix, for which we need a stable unchanging mode throughout his bridge, like curbing or neutral.
On the contrasting side of that excersise he could try a witchy sound, like "nya nya nya", which would also get him in a stable unchanging mode.

The means are not important, the result is what matters :)