Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton(Mid-Low notes)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi Folks.. 

Trying out something slightly different this time.. This is one of my favorite songs.  If I listen intently, it always moves me to tears. 

Thanks to anyone who gives a listen and drops in a sentence or two. Please spot if my delivery in the mid-low region is good..  :)

AWESOME! Really really liked it man! Nice timbre and emotion. This song always gets me if I start paying attention to the lyrics. You did such a good job dialing down so much the "cartoonish voice" that it almost disappeared completely. Although you can still hear it creeping in when you sang "time can bring you down, time can BEND your knees..." during the bridge, and in just a few places, but almost unnoticed, just a hint. Very good job, congrats.   

Aravind this is good! Nice interpretation. You definitely need more songs like this.

Also a good thing about this song is you can learn to use more of your natural voice without worrying about things like range. To me you can still sound more "natural" on this but I'm just talking about your tone here. I would like to hear a deeper warmer tone. I know you have it but you've been hiding it from us ;)

Besides singing and teaching I also make beats and remixes. Check them out here: https://blend.io/sexybeast

I would like to hear a deeper warmer tone. I know you have it but you've been hiding it from us ;)

More likely, I have been hiding it from myself  :D.  All the wonders of modern technology and a condenser microphone!  I cannot get a lot of volume this low!  Notes this low used to be a REAL struggle for me until I read your comment about thinking about singing in terms of our own spoken voice.. So a big thank you to you.. 

I still cannot get a lot of volume on low notes, but I guess it is not an issue since the listener really hears only an auditory illusion of the singer

I still cannot get a lot of volume on low notes, but I guess it is not an issue since the listener really hears only an auditory illusion of the singer

I think you will get more once you tap more into your true voice! But yes you are right. A lot of tenors can get down to an E2 but that doesn't mean they have any real power down there...

Besides singing and teaching I also make beats and remixes. Check them out here: https://blend.io/sexybeast

Gneetapp, Ronws, Bono, AlbertoGuru.. Thank you all for your kind comments..  

This is a relatively easy song for me. I actually did in one take and only redid two words because I thought they sounded "too happy".. My actual worth as a singer gets exposed when I do tougher songs!!!!  :D  :lol:  :P  :rolleyes:

Just one question.. Based on what you have heard of my voice and the timbre in various songs, am I a "low voice" or a "high voice"?

Aravind, you are some kind of tenor I would say but does this really matter? What matters is that you learn how to use your own voice. It's deeper and fuller than you think it is.

Aravind, you are some kind of tenor I would say but does this really matter? What matters is that you learn how to use your own voice. It's deeper and fuller than you think it is.

Not that it matters to me.. But why is the deepest and fullest voice the best tonally?  Does this mean you have to use chest voice as much as you can(alternately as much as chest as possible in the mix)?  For e.g. beyond A4, I have to get into head voice completely(I think)..

I am someone from engineering background and therefore I like to know things in terms of math if possible(if you know what I mean).. 

Not that it matters to me.. But why is the deepest and fullest voice the best tonally?  Does this mean you have to use chest voice as much as you can(alternately as much as chest as possible in the mix)?  For e.g. beyond A4, I have to get into head voice completely(I think)..

I am someone from engineering background and therefore I like to know things in terms of math if possible(if you know what I mean).. 

Vd = [2*k*I*D]/cm, assuming that the wire is copper, then you can have a value of k=12.9.

Oh wait, wrong math ...

I = VA/(E*1.732) or VA/(E*[3^.5]) as it happens to be the square root of three if you analyzing 3 phase power using Pythagora's Theorem, though I had initially solved it through spherical trig.

Wait, wrong math ....

Actually, there is a formula for tube resonance that I can't remember just now. And you might look into the Bernoulli Effect.

Good one Ron.. What I actually meant to ask was this..  When to approach the note from the headvoice(down and descending into the note).. I interpret Beast's comment on finding a fuller sound as starting from chest(spoken voice) and finding a configuration that works.. I am finding that while it does give me some good options on lower notes, when I reach around my passagio, I am always confused whether to approach from top or from bottom.. 

If I approach from top, there is a limit beyond which I cannot access my full sound..  This is what I meant.. 

I interpret Beast's comment on finding a fuller sound as starting from chest(spoken voice) and finding a configuration that works.. I am finding that while it does give me some good options on lower notes, when I reach around my passagio, I am always confused whether to approach from top or from bottom.. 

If I approach from top, there is a limit beyond which I cannot access my full sound..  This is what I meant..

Speaking the words to a song before singing them helps most people but pay attention you don't suddenly change everything as you start singing. You have a fuller, richer, rounder sound than what you are currently using. I really think most people would like to hear that. Also a fuller tone at the bottom will give you a fuller tone at the top and more powerfull high notes. It's about using your voice as efficiently as possible. Why sing with 70% of your voice when you can use 100%? Unless of course you like that sound in that case we're all good.

Keith Sweat sings very forward like you and he's one of my favourite singers:

I don't understand what you mean by approaching from the top or bottom... As I said before the way you currently sing may have helped you with your higher range I just think it might be time for you to move on.

I enjoy this yeah. You do sound more approachable without being generic.

I think you're approaching an area of your voice where there is starting to be more of a mainstream appeal. It's not smack dab in the middle, and is still shaded by some of your timbre.

How far you choose to go will be up to you, but you're at a point where more people would enjoy hearing you.