What is your favorite little "trick" (i.e. visualizations, sound imitations, body movement, etc)

Rate this topic

cordial_cherry

Personally i like to pretend im on a huge stage..it helps me loosen up a bit and act more free than opposed to a static behaviour...that actually makes it harder for me to sing, but if i pull it off that way i have easier time singing the same thing in static mode

• Administrator

Adding the feel of the consonant"H" into y singing to eliminate constriction and "switch gears" between registers.

Interesting, that actually sends a neural linguistic message to the articulators and makes you relax or "bleed" your glottis... which releases the constrictors. That is not "deceptive" or imaginary, it actually makes a physical change to your configuration. 

I visualize myself singing and hitting certain difficult parts before I hit the stage. I have a talk with my voice...yes I do...I talk to my voice especially after I finish the night...I talk it down and get it to relax and thank it. I listen to it more than I ever did before.

We're like a team.

• Administrator

I think to myself when the high notes are coming to use less energy. Think falsetto, sing a tiny full voice.

That is good, its another way of getting the body to do a similar thing my video is demonstrating... it makes the body not engage the constrictors and and other "push" and "shout" reactions and forces you to sing with finesse' ... which tends to put your vowel, vowel & intensity in balance... your body calibrates for the note.

YES! "THE CLAW"!  How could I forget... "The Claw of Metal"!... that totally works... helps me hit high notes every time... especially when my foot is on the stage monitor.

"The Goblet Claw of METAL!"

:blink:

Hahaha damn Caesar such a boss!

So, casting my silliness aside, I think in images when I sing, mostly. I think or "feel" the note at my upper front teeth. I think small for high notes and this has the side effect of holding back air, so that I am not blowing out. For low notes or ones that I want some depth, I think "cavernous," which may involve a widening of the throat but I don't pay attention to that.

And I absolutely do not think about percentage of adduction or elevation or depression of the larynx.

Images when I sing would be mostly the form that my voice takes inside me.

When I am singing correctly and my voice is healthy I can feel like a "balloon" or "pillow" ish sensation filling my pharynx. It is round and soft.
When I press more into the twang pedal though, now that I think of it, I often open my mouth more vertically, towards an AH or AE, so the form also becomes longer from top to bottom, and flatter, but still retaining the soft pillowy-ish sensation.

Whenever I don't feel that thing I usually sing a few minutes and my voice starts to go a bit airy and fatigue. It could be possibly my most important vocal health state meter, lol

I used to love these "tricks" but as ive developed and performed more I've learned they are always temporary and always have pros and cons so they might work for maybe a week and then you need a new trick to make another balance shift etc. So basically what I mean is you can't just grab a trick from a forum and use it forever, it may help in some ways but throw your voice off and cause long term imbalance in the voice, you have to be taking lessons on an ongoing basis and memorize at ton of these images that have worked for you and be able to feel when you need them that night and when you need other

Remember these images expand way past technique too. Style, audience connection, emotional delivery, etc

I used to love these "tricks" but as ive developed and performed more I've learned they are always temporary and always have pros and cons so they might work for maybe a week and then you need a new trick to make another balance shift etc. So basically what I mean is you can't just grab a trick from a forum and use it forever, it may help in some ways but throw your voice off and cause long term imbalance in the voice, you have to be taking lessons on an ongoing basis and memorize at ton of these images that have worked for you and be able to feel when you need them that night and when you need other

Remember these images expand way past technique too. Style, audience connection, emotional delivery, etc

So, how does your current teacher teach? With images? Or, even, just registering feelings? An image that gets you to make a sound and once the teacher says it's good then you memorize that feeling?

Just wondering. Because we cannot reach in and manipulate with our fingers the vocal folds the way that we do strings on a guitar or keys on a keyboard or piano.

So, how does your current teacher teach? With images? Or, even, just registering feelings? An image that gets you to make a sound and once the teacher says it's good then you memorize that feeling?

That's really a hard question to answer. Yes, kind of. There is a lot of emphasis on specific sounds, finding the physical sensations that signify correct technique, especially through comparing them to natural body functions (coughing, yawning etc.), looking in the mirror to try to catch visual evidence of physical sensations that signify incorrect technique and fix them, etc. Not so much imaginary visualizations, it's more about finding tangible "references" as Felipe calls them. And this is not just a quirk of one teacher it is the way I have noticed many great vocal teachers teach.

Images when I sing would be mostly the form that my voice takes inside me.

When I am singing correctly and my voice is healthy I can feel like a "balloon" or "pillow" ish sensation filling my pharynx. It is round and soft.

When I press more into the twang pedal though, now that I think of it, I often open my mouth more vertically, towards an AH or AE, so the form also becomes longer from top to bottom, and flatter, but still retaining the soft pillowy-ish sensation.

Whenever I don't feel that thing I usually sing a few minutes and my voice starts to go a bit airy and fatigue. It could be possibly my most important vocal health state meter, lol

Hmmm soft pillow might an interesting alternative to balloon. Softer and cushier. I have tried to explain this sensation to others. I really like this sensation and I prefer the resonance it gives me. So yeah we have the same idea of this sensation.

That's really a hard question to answer. Yes, kind of. There is a lot of emphasis on specific sounds, finding the physical sensations that signify correct technique, especially through comparing them to natural body functions (coughing, yawning etc.), looking in the mirror to try to catch visual evidence of physical sensations that signify incorrect technique and fix them, etc. Not so much imaginary visualizations, it's more about finding tangible "references" as Felipe calls them. And this is not just a quirk of one teacher it is the way I have noticed many great vocal teachers teach.

That's cool. So, using functions you already know either by a reflex or on purpose, such as coughing and yawning, you can adjust alignments, essentially tuning the body like a horn, though a pliable one. Sorry for the imagery.