Am I in head voice?

Rate this topic

Daniel2210

Hello everyone. This is my first post on this forum.

I've been singing for about 6 months now. For the longest time I've been very upset with my very limited range of a measly octave and a half, but after searching online on how to increase my pitiful range, I've come to the conclusion that I have been singing in only my "chest" voice and have been pushing it to its limit. I have experimented trying to find my head voice, and I think I may have found it, but it doesn't really sound all that much different from my falsetto. I have, however, discovered some unique differences... With what I believe to be my head voice, I can ascend from my lowest note in my chest voice to the highest note in my head voice (which is half an octave higher than my chest voice) and back down without there being too bad of a break at all. However, when I start in my falsetto and try to descend down to my chest voice, I reach a point where I can not go down further without breaking and dropping nearly an octave. This leads me to believe that I am using head voice rather than falsetto. I can also only reach an A5 in my head voice while I can reach about a D6 in my falsetto. I ask this question because I want to develop my head voice. I don't want to waste my time trying to develop it when I'm actually just using falsetto.

I'm sorry if this is a very noob like question. I'm sure you guys get asked this a lot. If anyone would like for me to upload an audio clip I'd be glad to do so, but my head voice doesn't sound too different from my falsetto as of right now, so I don't think it'd be of much help. I thank anyone who replies to this in advance. :)

First off, whether others like to admit it or not, you are in head voice by the time you reach A5, no matter how loud or gritty it sounds.

Second, kinda hard to tell what note you think you are doing in head voice without a sound recording. Talking about singing is like dancing about architecture (paraphrased from a Frank Zappa quote about music.)

That's the start of head voice. You have a long way to go to develop it but good start. I would say first work on getting that little bit of grittiness out of there and then once it's smooth start working on gradually adding in more power. When you add in power be aware of the fact that you the more power add the later you bridge meaning whereabouts you feel your transition from chest to head voice will naturally climb higher the louder you go. Make sure you allow that to happen.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I'm glad to know I've actually found my head voice. I'll definitely start working on smoothing out my transition and adding more power.  If you can, though, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could give me some tips on what you think the best way to achieve this is. :)

Daniel2210,

Don't be afraid of training your falsetto!

Strengthening it will help develop and condition your overall voice.

Include some falsetto work in your training. It won't turn into a full powerful full voice by itself, but it will assist you greatly to blend and mix..