Learning to bridge (clips included)

Rate this topic

Elvis

Ive been trying to find a coordination that allows me to stay connected up to a C5...im taking little steps and im hoping for the best..

https://app.box.com/s/kntp1krd9qyo0lxsg4mq6kcpa7bv9yor - Random high stuff ppl said its Head voice

https://app.box.com/s/gsloiqqnrccjqm6m35xydo3mo6usnr8j - a Siren that also ppl said its head voice

Now after these 2 clips im trying to learn how the get there...i cant seems to get to that kind of sound without breaking, so i figured i was pulling too much weight

The next clip is me trying to find coordination to bridge, and quite some time of trial and error i figured something out but idk if its the right thing to do 

https://app.box.com/s/0lwd9mau2bgrsdbhbthunpjumaggkamb  ---- In this clip im doing a very light sound from i think E4-C5...first i find the placements with falsetto then i pick up some weight to make it sound full..

Is this the right approach or am i doing something that is not beneficial in any way..

P.S. i know the vowels are a mess, but im working on it ;P

To me it sounds like you don't need to work on finding bridging, I think you're already doing it correctly in all of these exercises. My only suggestion would be practice these exercises on all of the vowels and make sure they are all working. Then the real challenge is applying it to songs without your bridge falling apart. Practice singing a variety of songs that go up around the passaggio and see how they feel and sound and work on them all. If any of them get too hard just approach it carefully, break it down into the individual phrase giving you trouble and work on that, etc.

Only the 2nd one is correct in my opinion. 1st one is a totally disconnected sound and will not help you bridge. 3rd one is just plain wrong.

well the 3rd one i am interested in...i keep trying to find the release and pick up as little weight as i can...guess its not working xd

You have plenty of release in the 2nd clip...

The thing is...that 2nd clip is all that it is...i can siren all day to alert ymy neighbours about a nearby fire...but in singing situation is unusable...i cant sing like that...as soon as consonants (or lyric) appear it sounds like Zed from  Police Academy

you are doing fine on all three sounds, so you should take the time to learn some songs and see how it goes from there.

Thank you Daniel. Means alot to me coming from someone as knowledgable as you. :) ill try covering some songs with the range up there around C5, and roll it here on forum :)

Feels wierd to even try since 2-3 weeks ago i was struggling with A4 xD

I'm not really in a place to be giving you advice but I think I pretty much know what others will tell you to work on so here I go anyway.  You clearly are doing some really well connected bridging in that second one.  Sounds great.  You say you can do that all day but when the lyrics come in suddenly things fall apart.. here is what you need to do then. (imo)  Take the song you are interested in singing phrase by phrase, lyric by lyric.  Sing ONE word at a time and pay close attention to each and every vowel and consonant that will arise.  Play around with the coordination of the vowels and try to make the consonants as short as possible (skipping right into the open vowel sound)as to not let them get in the way.

Do this phrase by phrase in a song you are interested in and you surely will eventually have the muscle memory in place to apply your technique here to vocalizing the song in question. Also, just another thought, maybe you are trying to tackle songs that are still a bit too high for you?  Even though you are doing solid bridging into head voice all the way into the fifth octave it will probably do you a lot of good to stay in a comfortable tessitura that isn't at the extreme end of the range you just discovered.  Build a good foundation first before moving on to tackling stuff at the very top of your new found bridge.  Hope that helps.  Take what I say with a grain of salt though because I can't bridge myself lol; i've just heard this advice been given many times to people who can and are struggling with your problem.

In the 2nd one you are approaching your bridge correctly I would suggest you get used to that feeling and work other scales (shorter scales will probably be harder at first so start with a 1,5 octave arpeggio) and vowels, consonants with that same coordination. You are mixing on the lighter side but with time you will be able to add more weight. As for songs, usually it helps to pick an exercise that works well for you and sing the song or portions of the song on that exercise.

To me the 2nd one is what you are looking for. I don't see why you need the 3rd one... you are hitting the same notes in a much better coordination in the 2nd clip. The 2nd clip is the closest to a finished sound. Why not work from there?

Anyway this is what I hear. If I'm wrong could somebody please take the time and explain to me why?

To me the 2nd one is what you are looking for. I don't see why you need the 3rd one... you are hitting the same notes in a much better coordination in the 2nd clip. The 2nd clip is the closest to a finished sound. Why not work from there?

Anyway this is what I hear. If I'm wrong could somebody please take the time and explain to me why?

For what it's worth I agree with you, I didn't think it was too bad but definitely would say that the 2nd clip is a much more appropriate way to go about practicing as of now.  The third one sounds more rough and not completely centered, wouldn't be a bad sound to mess around with but I wouldn't focus all your practice on it.  disclaimer: I'm a noob singer as well, listen to Formica or Owen

Thanks everyone...im gonna find a song now and practise it bit by bit. Then im gonna upload a recording...i dont know lot of pop songs so i might try holy diver in a lighter tone, i think holy diver goes to about C5...

Thanks again everyone

I think Holy Diver goes to C5 because I when I would play it on guitar and sing it,  I would capo up on the third fret and the tonic was Cm in open chord formation.

To me, part of the wisdom of Daniel is that while you may have some success in a single exercise, habits are in singing. So, the sooner you can translate that to a song in real time, all the better.