Fatigue/weakness

Rate this topic

MdM

Guys,  I chanced upon the pinned "How to Sing in the Style of Steve Perry" video last night right before bed, and on a whim, decided to sing along.  I was surprised to find that I could do it just fine, especially with his pointers.  It felt so easy and efficient and, being somewhat lazy, I liked not having to work so hard.  I had been working lately on light singing and sirens and letting the voice do what it wanted at light volumes, so perhaps I was already in that mode.  

Anyway, today I warmed up and tried it again and it did not feel too good.  What had felt easy last night was a bit of a struggle.  I didn't think much of it... I then went to try that style on "Hotel California", and what came out was a kind of reedy screech.  I was puzzled.  

I downshifted and tried to sing "Smooth", which I think goes above E4 rarely, and there just really wasn't anything there.  That song usually feels too low, but it does lie in my speaking range, at least. 

Voice felt tired and didn't want to cooperate with the lighter singing.  More intense, "overdrive" or "belting" sounds seemed okay, although by this time I was ready to shut it down and didn't want to make whatever it was worse.  I am not a big-time belter, but I think I generally sing above the passagio in a lightish "overdrive" up to G4-B4 or so.  I can sing in a falsettoish head voice up to E5 or more, especially in exercises. 

Any ideas as to what could have been the cause?  My theory is that the heady, light "mixed voice" thing in the video uses a different part of the voice than my usual activities, so that part (M2?) fatigued quickly and needs recovery time.

I think it's because of the different time of day. You don't just wake up and do in the morning what your voice could the night before. If you can consider yourself lucky. Generally you have to warm up gradually to the harder stuff throughout the day.

At least I find that the case for me.

Part of the problem is different songs that are almost different genres and certainly different vowels. I think a person has to be flexible and learn as much as possible to adapt to whatever song it is that you want to sing.

And, for me, there a some songs that I just don't record. I can technically sing them but not in a way that I like or, barring that, sing in a way that is reminiscent of the original singer. The urge to mimick can be both a blessing and a curse.

Hmmm, it's true my voice takes awhile to warm up.  Still it's felt a little hoarse and ragged since trying to sing.  Another possibility is allergies, I guess?  My wife and daughter are both on Sudafed right now.

Ron, I know what you mean about different genres.  It sometimes feels like it's a whole different instrument, like the difference between fingerstyle nylon guitar (what I play) and pick-style electric or steel-string acoustic.

Did you make sure to warm up really really well?  It happens to me sometimes when I've sung right out of the bat, yeah I can belt up to a G4 easily, but that's mostly my chest voice coated with a bit of head voice, and when I try to do lighter stuff, and even more so on my bridge area it just falls appart. Because my "head musculature" is not as warmed up as my "chest musculature" so there are differences in the modes and I just crack.

If you woke up with your whole upper register tired, it's probably because you are used to sing on a heavier kind of place. When you used your headier musculature and made it sound "chestier" without all the bulk backing it up, of course your voice will be a lot more tired than usual. Always think of the voice as your body when you go to the gym and work upper or lower body separately :)