Is it possible with a ridiculous amount of hard work that I would be able to sing this?

Rate this topic

CasenW

[youtube'>

Now, let me preface this by saying if you say I can't, I'm still going to try because I'm stubborn,  but I thought you all could give me the best advice to reaching this goal. I want to be able to sing this song so badly. I want to improve from just being a punk rock vocalist, and broadway singers are ridiculously good, this song in particular demonstrates amazing vocal clarity, range, and control. Even if I never can attain that, what's the best way to try? I've been practicing guitar and vocals combined at least 5 hours a day, with a couple rest days thrown in every now and then. Help please.

Well first....why ask a question if it will have no bearing on you lol.

Moving on, yes you can sing this. There really isnt anything fancy about this song. Very broadway, clear articulation, sung words as spoken ect. To most singers with a good mix, this song wouldnt be much of a struggle. Thus I believe that is the problem for you, that you havent found your mix. My guess is you start struggling after middle c...

From what i have heard you post, I really do like your style. Though you sing in a range any joe blow with no training could sing in, that is the down in a way. The upside though, is your timing, delivery, and intonation is quite impressive. Also, your sense of how to sing something your way, also really works in your favor. So all that mixed together really makes your singing unique and interesting, even though in a technical only sense its nothing special.

I really could see you accomplishing some cool stuff with what you have now, and building off of it. However, if you are wanting to sing stuff like this in the orignal key, gotta find your mix and head voice. Which will really open up your world vocally. I can give you pointers as well as others on here, however that is something that you really need training on 1v1 in person or on skype.

However, even if you do go that route, dont forget the style you have now. Most people if they sung crazy train the way you did, I would be bored to tears. However, I enjoyed you singing it, and listened all the way through.

Yeah it's very possible. It sounds like this is the type of voice you'd want to train:

I can sing a bit in this style (not a master), but a lot of times get a bit irritated with this and want to wail like a passionate ape.

Tips:

Feel resonance up at your teeth

Tongue high (isolate the twang)

Nasal sensation of resonance

Lighter voice than you might think

The only thing is I would advise vs what that instructor is saying is not obsessing about your larynx height. It's ok to find larynx heights that work for your goals, but worrying about it and demanding it remain neutral tends to make people paranoid. If it is too low it won't work. Too high you might strain, but stress and paranoia tend to raise the larynx anyway.

So, I have challenges for you Casen.

First off, next time you want to embed a video, I double dog dare you to just copy the full address, not the shortcut link, the full address and paste in the body of text. Don't be the aggie that threw his hat at the ground and missed.  ;)

Second, I challenge you to prove to me or anyone else who has actually listened to your covers (which are videos and you already know how to paste those in) that you do not sound like the guy in this soundtrack. Seriously, for a moment, I thought it was you, pulling our leg or drumming up applause.

Third, prove to me that you have actually shared a punk rock song with us, and yes, something by Green Day still counts.

So, what I expect next from you, in the voice of Barney Stinson, as played by Neil Patrick Harris, is "Challenge .... accep......ted. It will be legen ...wait for it .....dary."

• Administrator

Oh and before robert yells at you......put an avatar up!!! Lmao!!

HA HA ! Robert doesn't have to yell at our members..... When ever I see a member make a post WITHOUT an avatar, I send them a request to do so.

AND, along with a nice Welcome message, as well as a link to assist our members in navigating the forum.

For those not familiar with the link >>

http://tinyurl.com/TMVWorldHowToForumFeatures

Well first....why ask a question if it will have no bearing on you lol.

Moving on, yes you can sing this. There really isnt anything fancy about this song. Very broadway, clear articulation, sung words as spoken ect. To most singers with a good mix, this song wouldnt be much of a struggle. Thus I believe that is the problem for you, that you havent found your mix. My guess is you start struggling after middle c...

From what i have heard you post, I really do like your style. Though you sing in a range any joe blow with no training could sing in, that is the down in a way. The upside though, is your timing, delivery, and intonation is quite impressive. Also, your sense of how to sing something your way, also really works in your favor. So all that mixed together really makes your singing unique and interesting, even though in a technical only sense its nothing special.

I really could see you accomplishing some cool stuff with what you have now, and building off of it. However, if you are wanting to sing stuff like this in the orignal key, gotta find your mix and head voice. Which will really open up your world vocally. I can give you pointers as well as others on here, however that is something that you really need training on 1v1 in person or on skype.

However, even if you do go that route, dont forget the style you have now. Most people if they sung crazy train the way you did, I would be bored to tears. However, I enjoyed you singing it, and listened all the way through.

I really haven't found my mix, and I do start struggling around middle C. I'm not completely sure how to develop my mix. I do have head voice and I can sing the verses in that, but the belting sections I have to go louuud for and it's very inconsistent and it cracks. That seriously means a lot by the way, thank you!

Yeah it's very possible. It sounds like this is the type of voice you'd want to train:

I can sing a bit in this style (not a master), but a lot of times get a bit irritated with this and want to wail like a passionate ape.

Tips:

Feel resonance up at your teeth

Tongue high (isolate the twang)

Nasal sensation of resonance

Lighter voice than you might think

The only thing is I would advise vs what that instructor is saying is not obsessing about your larynx height. It's ok to find larynx heights that work for your goals, but worrying about it and demanding it remain neutral tends to make people paranoid. If it is too low it won't work. Too high you might strain, but stress and paranoia tend to raise the larynx anyway.

I'll work on that! Thank you.:)

So, I have challenges for you Casen.

First off, next time you want to embed a video, I double dog dare you to just copy the full address, not the shortcut link, the full address and paste in the body of text. Don't be the aggie that threw his hat at the ground and missed.  ;)

Second, I challenge you to prove to me or anyone else who has actually listened to your covers (which are videos and you already know how to paste those in) that you do not sound like the guy in this soundtrack. Seriously, for a moment, I thought it was you, pulling our leg or drumming up applause.

Third, prove to me that you have actually shared a punk rock song with us, and yes, something by Green Day still counts.

So, what I expect next from you, in the voice of Barney Stinson, as played by Neil Patrick Harris, is "Challenge .... accep......ted. It will be legen ...wait for it .....dary."

That's what I get for posting while tired, I'm sorry!:( And really? My friends said it sounds nothing like me. And I haven't shared a punk rock song, but my vocal style I've been told is very punkish.

Also, How I Met Your Mother is fantastic, and I will try!:)

As i said, working on your mix is a complex thing that should be done with supervision at first. However, I found mine with an exercise alone, so its possible. I will share it, maybe you will have good luck like i did. I remember it was like a light switch when a full voice came blasting out (wasnt pretty at first, but it was a full voice, not yelling or falsetto) It was my biggest break through vocally still to this day.

I used a chain of events, from falsetto, to vocal fry, on to a full connected voice. I remember my first note was an a4, however I would say try a g4 or f#4 to begin with. So using some sort of pitch reference, match the chosen pitch with falsetto. Hit the note a couple times, get used to the feeling, the freedom. Feel the position of everything in your throat, where it is. This is the general spot everything wants to be for that pitch.

So after feeling and studying this for a bit, its time to move on to the next step. Hoping you know how to do vocal fry, its time to make this pitch in fry.

So, match the note again in falsetto, then switch it to the creaky fry, but stay on pitch. Notice how everything in your throat is still the basic config of the falsetto, but you are feeling more closure.

So now its time to add more closure to the fry, feeling how the folds close together tighter, yet nothing else really moves in the throat area. You will hear and feel the sound get less creaky and try to become a closed note. Play with this for a bit, and hopefully you will have a fully closed note appear.

Just take your time, focus on trying to make the pops closer and closer together. The biggest point is to force your mechanism to adjust for higher pitches in other ways than shooting up sky high and strangling itself off. Instead Shed weight, thin out, ect ect. Falsetto is the ultimate freedom of pitch, if I were ever to reach the goal of everynote being as free as falsetto I would buy everyone I know all the alcohol they want for a night ha ha. That is my ultimate vocal goal.

I hope you have good luck with this as I did. This exercise has a special place in my heart, as it was the pivotal of my personal vocal history.

Making huge improvements in singing is possible.  But the analogy is like wanting to run a 2 hour half marathon when you are struggling to finish a 5 km race. You cannot "just" run a 2 hour half marathon without practice, particularly if your basic level of fitness is poor to begin with.  

Singing is a sport, and when you try to sing extreme registers, you need to be a "vocal athlete" to do it.  Improvements will happen gradually and it may take a year or more so with regular practice till you reach a really tough goal.  Singing is more about technique and practice than talent.  Having natural talent obviously helps, but hardwark can help overcome limitations.  

If you are really committed to working hard, you can overcome a lot of self imposed "limitations"

Just remember as I always say from a book I read " The mind cannot tell the difference between that which is real or vividly imagined."

Make sure you view some live performance videos and try to break the song down into smaller sections.

m.i.r., I wanted to ask you with your method, don't you find that sometimes the "fry" is not available to you?

Yes video....most definitely. However, for myself, I have noticed it is only unavailable if there is an issue present. Such as the morning of a long night with two sets back to back that I pushed things too hard, or was around too much smoke, or drank too much. Having very bad post nasal drip that day, or extremely tired.

Actually in the middle of sets, or even songs sometimes on trouble nights. I will check my fry quietly, I know if it is easy to access, it is powerful and clean precise pops, my folds are fairly happy. However, when changes start to happen to it, I know the first stages of swelling are taking place. Either that, or I have some post nasal snot coming down and layering the folds preventing the fine closure. So if i start noticing changes, I step back and do a self check. Am I excited and oversinging with too much weight, am i undersinging and being lazy and over abducting ect ect. Or use whatever method I brought with me to break up the post drip off my folds.

As I got more and more experience, using the fry as a gauge really became a powerful tool for me, and has proven quite accurate. It seems to be so sensitive, you can predict swelling and horseness way before it actually strikes. Gives you a chance to change whatever is happening before you reach the "damage" zone, or have to deal with a couple days of a crackling voice. The worst I have had with using this method is a tired voice the next day. Even though I try my best to avoid back to back days, my voice is usuable with just some extra warm up available on times where back to back is unavoidable.

I dont know if this works for all, but the science behind the theory seems sound from what I understand of the voice.

Yeah as am I. About got the reflux under control, but still have bad days. Steam is the best thing I have found. Sometimes I will steam for hours on bad days before a performance or session. Really thin out the phlegm as much as possible so its easier to control. Its only the thicker stuff that can really screw you. Usually if I can get my nose pretty clear I can keep the beast at bay for a couple hours. Or at least feel it coming before I start a phrase.

I also use one of those personal steamers as well, the portable one. I feel your pain though, it really does suck. Sometimes all the planning for that gets in the way of my preparation mentally for the show it self

What mir said is awesome advice..thats the same way i was able to higher in full voice..falsseto, fry and blast away...i could upload a clip of me doind it just so u can hear that it actually works and also to encourage you to post a clip of yourself...it will be bad and funny but at least they might laugh at me and you can pass unnoticed xD

Yes video....most definitely. However, for myself, I have noticed it is only unavailable if there is an issue present. Such as the morning of a long night with two sets back to back that I pushed things too hard, or was around too much smoke, or drank too much. Having very bad post nasal drip that day, or extremely tired.

Actually in the middle of sets, or even songs sometimes on trouble nights. I will check my fry quietly, I know if it is easy to access, it is powerful and clean precise pops, my folds are fairly happy. However, when changes start to happen to it, I know the first stages of swelling are taking place. Either that, or I have some post nasal snot coming down and layering the folds preventing the fine closure. So if i start noticing changes, I step back and do a self check. Am I excited and oversinging with too much weight, am i undersinging and being lazy and over abducting ect ect. Or use whatever method I brought with me to break up the post drip off my folds.

As I got more and more experience, using the fry as a gauge really became a powerful tool for me, and has proven quite accurate. It seems to be so sensitive, you can predict swelling and horseness way before it actually strikes. Gives you a chance to change whatever is happening before you reach the "damage" zone, or have to deal with a couple days of a crackling voice. The worst I have had with using this method is a tired voice the next day. Even though I try my best to avoid back to back days, my voice is usuable with just some extra warm up available on times where back to back is unavoidable.

I dont know if this works for all, but the science behind the theory seems sound from what I understand of the voice.

And what is really important and I don't want people to miss is that STOP when you find something wrong and either change it or just stop. One cannot sing on autopilot.