Interpretation Planing and Song Study

Rate this topic

Felipe Carvalho

Ive made a video with a suggestion on how to work on your interpretations and write it down so that you keep track of it:

Of course you will not study ALL of your songs in this manner, but I find that doing this on the songs that you find more difficult, or that are more complex really helps.

Specially if you plan on singing 15 minutes long prog metal songs full of crazy stuff, writing it down can free your mind to focus on the singing. :)

Excellent, Felipe. I like how you use dynamics to give rhythm. Using the same vowel sound to give a whole line a sense of anchor, unless the point is to give contrast, impact, as you say.

And song-mapping can always be helpful.

• Administrator

Awesome!  A real coach.  I like coaches from South America that actually teach... and use our service to share ideas. Good man, great coach... What I don't like is people that use our service to only have their ego stroked and never make any other contribution other then, "listen to me sing and give me my compliments now..."... Arghh?  What a put-off... 

Thanks Felipe, your cool... 

• Administrator

Awesome!  A real coach.  I like coaches from South America that actually teach... and use our service to share ideas. Good man, great coach... What I don't like is people that use our service to only have their ego stroked and never make any other contribution other then, "listen to me sing and give me my compliments now..."... Arghh?  What a put-off... 

Thanks Felipe, your cool... 

I'll second Robert's comments.... Especially >> "A real coach" AND " What I don't like is people that use our service to only have their ego stroked and never make any other contribution other then, "listen to me sing and give me my compliments now..."

Just recently seen the latter in another post here so I couldn't help but to comment.

And yes, You're COOL, Felipe !!!

• Administrator

It really says a lot about a person, doesn't it?  You got the guys that share singing and contribute and try to educate people on something... and make a post of them singing and bother to follow through with some interesting insights that people can learn from... and then you got the coach that just jumps in here and.. even when asked to contribute some added value in a private email, you don't get it.  What ever... some people are gentleman and have class... others are just too far gone in their narcissism to care.

That's a really fascinating take on interpretation. I've never really thought about doing things in this manner. I do almost everything by feel and use very little intellect. I can actually see how this would help though, especially like you said, not for every song, or to over do it, but just to get the mind thinking like this.

I think it would be especially helpful for people who aren't native using a first language too. It's easy for someone who is born into something to be like hey guys just 'feel it out' but it is not really helpful. A lot of singers and songwriters might put a stamp on a song like this simply from having an accent native to a region, but if it was too foreign, it may not be accessible.

• Administrator

I just watched this... This is a technique that refers to vowel modification of your lyrics... something I teach in my program, "The Four Pillars of Singing".  Here is a PDF of Alice In Chains, "Man In The Box"... a song that is great to work on with rocker clients... I do this with all my clients when we transistion to songs... In fact, figuring out the vowels in the lyrics is 80% of the work initially in song coaching... CLICK HERE >>>.

I use color sometimes as well to indicate if the vowel is forward resonating or backward resonating... relevant to the TVS Acoustic Modes... where we assign every singing vowel a visual color... to enable me to create a stronger connection with sound colors... training tools.

But Felipe goes into more details in regards to using this idea.. such as dynamics and being aware of matching the vowel colors of the same part, in different moments in the song.

Felipe, again... great lesson!  

Question, what is the little application your using?