Working Conditions

Rate this topic

Alin0101

Hi everyone.. I just started working at Burlington Coat Factory two weeks ago.I work in the back in the warehouse part. There's lots of dust & fabric particles floating around so I'm obviously inhaling them all day long. I've had a little itch in the back of my throat since I started there.Can the dust and fabric particles effect my voice? Is this bad for my voice? Thanks and I hope to hear from you all soon

Yes, shortest answer. I do electrical work, sometimes in what is called hazardous locations. What you are describing is not exactly class II div I (open air dust that is flammable) or class III div I (open air fibers that are flammable) but it can still be hazardous to your health.

Let me ask you this. Do you consider smoking bad for your health? How can fibers and dust in the air be any LESS dangerous?

And/or you could be allergic. Someone else working along side of you may not suffer any symptoms at all. That is the difference in your immune systems.

Lauren is right about that.

I worked as a temp in a plastic making plant years ago, and the powdered color for the plastic got everywhere.

Seriously, buy some of those white papery dust masks that go over your nose and mouth at Harbor Freight, and wear them.

You´ll be glad you did.

ken

I used to work construction. If you're not sure, try blowing your nose at the end of the day. All the shit you blow out is going into your lungs. Nasty stuff.

I've dug out bits of concrete dust. Maybe not enough to pave my patio but nasty, nevertheless.

I have found the secret to avoiding all that dust and most colds and flus. Move up to management and work in an office by myself, mostly.

:)