Developing head resonance

Rate this topic

joshual

Hi there,

Maybe i'l ask a dumb question but what are your best/favorite exercices to develop head resonnance, not head tones, but resonance.

It's my main problem since i started singing. When i hear people like Stevie Wonder, when they say for exemple "Come back home", the "mmm" for the word "home" seems to be really full, he close his mouth and the volume stay the same. It's like his voice is filling is entire skull.

I'm really strugling getting that thing right, i only feel it in my teeth and nose... So if you guys had any exercices to help me with, that would be great ;-).

That kind of resonance is a constant thing in soul music, all the singers ( female,male,black or white) have this resonance really develloped. I think it help maintaining a fuller sound without having to raise the volume of singing...

Thanxs in advance ;-).

Josh in quest of the soul tone... lol

Hi there,

Maybe i'l ask a dumb question but what are your best/favorite exercices to develop head resonnance, not head tones, but resonance.

It's my main problem since i started singing. When i hear people like Stevie Wonder, when they say for exemple "Come back home", the "mmm" for the word "home" seems to be really full, he close his mouth and the volume stay the same. It's like his voice is filling is entire skull.

I'm really strugling getting that thing right, i only feel it in my teeth and nose... So if you guys had any exercices to help me with, that would be great ;-).

That kind of resonance is a constant thing in soul music, all the singers ( female,male,black or white) have this resonance really develloped. I think it help maintaining a fuller sound without having to raise the volume of singing...

Thanxs in advance ;-).

Josh in quest of the soul tone... lol

i hate when i see a post with no replies. you took to the time to write, but i honestly don'y have enough knowledge to answer you.

My hunch is that this sound that you like so much, is just twang. At first it's helpful to f.ex. imitate a duck or a witch to get that sound going. Notice that when you do that, it feels like the top back of your throat is buzzing and the treble frequencies are amplified. Eventually you need to try to keep those 2 sensations but get rid of that duck sound :) . Lowering your larynx ever so slightly could do the trick. I think that your vocal heroes have very good control over twang and can easily control if they do a little of it or a lot. But when they sing, they hit that sweet spot that sounds great. So if you say you're feeling resonance in the front of your mouth, perhaps you could experience with moving the resonance a bit backwards until you start to hear a sound you like more (probably twang). Just my 5 cents.

Well, jonpall, your 5 cents is worth a lot. I wish I had written that. I had read this post earlier and didn't know how to reply to it because I was confused by trying to understand a difference between head tones and head resonance. I couldn't answer the question because I didn't understand the question. I wasn't ignoring the post, it was just one of those instances where I do everyone a favor by shutting the hell up.

Joshual - I've been trying to increase my head resonance up high lately and am finding a couple things. One is just practicing and singing songs up there, over time, my voice seems to "find" the resonance. The other thing in a recording session I found that - and this may just seem basic or silly, is opening my jaw really wide on open vowels - and trying to keep the back of my throat as open as possible really did improve the resonance. Through recording and then playback I could hear it and could "prove" it. I don't have specific excersizes.

Joshual - I've been trying to increase my head resonance up high lately and am finding a couple things. One is just practicing and singing songs up there, over time, my voice seems to "find" the resonance. The other thing in a recording session I found that - and this may just seem basic or silly, is opening my jaw really wide on open vowels - and trying to keep the back of my throat as open as possible really did improve the resonance. Through recording and then playback I could hear it and could "prove" it. I don't have specific excersizes.

guitartrek: when you say 'wide', do you mean from side to side, or up and down?

thanxs for all of your replies ;-).

what i meant was exercices to increase the "buzzing".

Jonpall you hit right once again, twang is really what i'm working on, i can have the twang sound, but for the moment i don't feel the back of the throat buzzing, i have to work more on it.

Another thing that seems to help me is a bit like you said guitartrek. I try to twang and open wide from side to side, it seems to help keeping the throat open, maybe the soft palate rising a little bit too.

Thanxs again for all your replies

ps: a sure thing i've understood, for getting my"soul tone", i have to stay at a normal volume no matter high the note is, if i raise the volume, i just loose it. So i'm working on singing the songs with low volume but with good placement and tone and try to increase the volume step by step, but it gonna takes months now lol...

thanxs for all of your replies ;-).

what i meant was exercices to increase the "buzzing".

Jonpall you hit right once again, twang is really what i'm working on, i can have the twang sound, but for the moment i don't feel the back of the throat buzzing, i have to work more on it.

Another thing that seems to help me is a bit like you said guitartrek. I try to twang and open wide from side to side, it seems to help keeping the throat open, maybe the soft palate rising a little bit too.

Thanxs again for all your replies

ps: a sure thing i've understood, for getting my"soul tone", i have to stay at a normal volume no matter high the note is, if i raise the volume, i just loose it. So i'm working on singing the songs with low volume but with good placement and tone and try to increase the volume step by step, but it gonna takes months now lol...

okay, i can answer now. if you are trying to increase resonance in the upper voice, you will need to have really good breath support. i really think that's the base key.

that messa voce exercise (a.k.a. jaime vendera's transcending tone exercise) i'm always pushing on you guys to try has helped me immensely with that objective. because you will build resonance just in doing the exercise. you have no choice but to swell the tone.

soul is feeling too.....lot's of it lol!!!

Steven - As for the jaw - I meant dropping the jaw down. But trying to keep the back of the throat open also gave the sensation of enlarging in all directions. I know that I may be overshooting, but droping the jaw seemed to allow more resonance than I normally had.

guitartrek: Dropping the jaw certainly can cause more resonance. That motion raises both of the vowel formants, F1 and F2, and that can better align the formants with the harmonics of the sung tone, especially if the formants were tuned too low for the note and vowel combination.

Watch any classical singer up high, especially the tenors. Jaw is dropped significantly, for the reasons I mentioned. For the very highest notes (D and above), some even do both the jaw drop and the side-to-side widening of the mouth opening, which raises all the formants further. Sometime, find a video of Gedda singing the F5 in 'Credeasi Misera'... looks like there is room to fit a 16oz tumbler in his mouth :-)

These motions are not made capriciouly, or with hard-and-fast rules. The amount that is needed depends on the particular acoustics of the individual voice. But, the strategy is used so often as to be beneficial to explore by every singer, to find just the right amount applicable beneficially to their own voice.

Hi there,

Maybe i'l ask a dumb question but what are your best/favorite exercices to develop head resonance, not head tones, but resonance.

From my perspective, the sensations, tone quality and perception associated with 'head resonance' is produced by the combination of twang, open throat and the vowel selection. Yes, even a hum, like Stevie Wonder's you mention, has a tongue position associated with the vowel he is thinking, even though his lips are shut and his velum is down.

Here is an example, via an exercise. Use the note that Stevie hums. Start it with twang, and then convert it to a hum, maintaining twang. Practice this for a few times, until you get the hang of it. Then, using that hum, hum the vowels ee, ay, ah, oh and oo, and Ih, Eh, A (as in cat) uh and oe (as in the English word 'foot'. Record them all, and listen to them.

For that note, one of these hums will have very good alignment of harmonics with the vowel formants. That one will pop out as not only having the intensity of twang in the hum, it will have a warmth, roundness and fullness.

That is the vowel to hum with twang on that note for maximum resonance.

Sorry for being late to reply to your wondefull answers...

Steven, how can i thank you, which champagne do you like ;-). You have just explained me something i thought i would never understand. Your help is unvaluable!! thanxs a lot!!

jonpall, your duck post made me laugh. I originally sang without vibrato because that was the style of singing where I came from. So, to learn the vibrato, I find that I have to imitate a goat..ehehe. And to avoid neighbourly noise ordinance ciattions, I have to find a spot where to goat sound is in most resonance.

jonpall, your duck post made me laugh. I originally sang without vibrato because that was the style of singing where I came from. So, to learn the vibrato, I find that I have to imitate a goat..ehehe. And to avoid neighbourly noise ordinance ciattions, I have to find a spot where to goat sound is in most resonance.

I just recently saw the movie "Men who stare at goats." Now, I will have to see "People who train with goats."

Can anyone please explain what is the difference between 'Head Resonance' and "Head Tones'?

I think it's the difference between a head/'nasal' resonance and head tone/falsetto. You would probably have "head resonance" throughout your entire range (hopefully), in that you want that brightness. However, the "head tones," I'm guessing, are referring to the upper register/mode of the voice. I think in SS terms, head resonance = pharyngeal voice (or twang); head tone = head voice.

I think it's the difference between a head/'nasal' resonance and head tone/falsetto. You would probably have "head resonance" throughout your entire range (hopefully), in that you want that brightness. However, the "head tones," I'm guessing, are referring to the upper register/mode of the voice. I think in SS terms, head resonance = pharyngeal voice (or twang); head tone = head voice.

Hey man thanks for your input, but I am not still clear about it. Any one else?

for me head resonance is just purely resonance, like a room full of sound or not. Head tones deal with the frequencies you try to get to make head voice (or high notes for those who don't like the head voice terminology) sound more chesty.

for me head resonance is just purely resonance, like a room full of sound or not. Head tones deal with the frequencies you try to get to make head voice (or high notes for those who don't like the head voice terminology) sound more chesty.

and to me i see it the other way around...lol!!!

steve, we need you buddy!

Gentlemen,

'Head Resonance' is a description of a sensation of vibration in the head, felt by the singer. 'Head tones' are a description of a perception of tone quality, experienced by the listener OR the tone quality associated with the head voice. Apples/Oranges going on here.

Sometimes, they coincide, but not always.

Its possible to sing throughout the entire voice range, bottom to top, with or without 'Head Resonance' at the discretion of the trained singer. If you sing with twang, or with singer's formant, you are quite likely to have these sensations. Not all singers do, but so many do that it is a reasonable expectation.

'Head tone' is something that the listener experiences, a tone quality, when someone is singing in head voice. This term exists in contrast to the perception of 'chest tones', and usually means a higher range, softer and less edgy tone quality, but that depends entirely on the listener's use of the term. Its so subject to various interpretation, especially when it gets applied to a wide range of dynamics, that I would be careful with it, and if someone whips it out in conversation or lesson, ask them to define it, or better yet, to demo it with their own voice.

I hope this helps.

Gentlemen,

Its possible to sing throughout the entire voice range, bottom to top, with or without 'Head Resonance' at the discretion of the trained singer. If you sing with twang, or with singer's formant, you are quite likely to have these sensations. Not all singers do, but so many do that it is a reasonable expectation.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the excellent explanation Steve, they always help. I have one further question based on the paragraph above - does this mean that one can sing with head resonance even in the lower - middle part of his/her range? Say a trained singer is able to sing with head resonance in the bottom part of his range - in that case will there be chest resonance present also, or will it only be head resonance?

In case chest resonance is also present along with the head, will that mean that is the 'mixed voice - a combined resonance?'