Rate this topic

anth

Been singing for a year with regular vocal lessons during that time. For a month or more, I've had some irritation felt in the throat. It happened after I started practicing everyday with kerri ho's singing programme which involves alot of pushing my range in mixed voice (belt-ish) which I think I was doing with incorrect technique (using the throat and tensing up to get the higher notes out).I think I was trying to pull chest up and not letting myself go into head voice so that I could match her weight on the top notes. I would use this programme to warm up (probably not a great idea) and then after that sing songs that were quite high for me. I've also been on minomycine (for skin) for a few months but went off it 3 weeks ago. Other than that, I can't think of anything else I've done to upset my throat. Now to describe the symptoms:

- throat irritation/soreness/tightness

- hard to swallow (its almost like theres extra saliva or my throat is blocked and saliva is harder to swallow). ithe swallowing is quite noisy

- there is some irritation in the nasal cavity

My throat is fine during the day unless i start to sing for a bit. It is also quite sore in the morning (I've tried not eating 2 hrs before bed but that doesn't seem to help dramatically). I thought to have some time off and do breathing exercises but even they aggravate my throat. What should I do? I really want to practice vocalizing because I'm noticing some improvement in vocal tone but I don't want to mess up my voice.. I don't sing professionally so I can take time off. The most I've had is 2-3 days.

Things pop in my head. However, I really dont say much anymore without hearing a sample.

So please post up something, it can even be just a simple cell phone recording as long as there isnt much clipping.

Only thing I will say is, if you start something new and your body rejects it....that should tell you something. Its like chewing tobacco, you put it in your mouth and your bodies first reaction is to spit it out....that should be a clue.

There are alot of harmful teachers out there, there are also alot of harmful translations of good teachers.

It wasn't always hurting though. I think i've pinpointed where I was going wrong with certain exercises. what i'm asking is what do I do now that ive pushed my voice in the wrong way. How much rest etc? could it be more serious?

if you want me to post a sample I can but I'm really wanting to heal the voice back to where it was. I've done something.

• Administrator

anth, will you do us a favor and upload a picture to your profile.

Your issues do not sound like they are the result of you belt training... however, I would be cautious of your belt training... I am very suspicious of any "bottom-up" training unless I know the teacher to be a knowledgable person. There are a LOT of hacks out there that are teaching "bottom-up" because thats all they understand and if they don't understand the acoustics of the voice or any "top-down" techniques, your just going to make your problem worse.

Regarding your medical issues, I think that is separate, but it is possible that the belt training is making it worse.

Mir is also right, give us a sound sample or we are all just spinning our wheels here.

You are much further along than I thought you would be from your original post. I really think you sound good for a years worth of training. Sure there are some things that can be worked on, but I believe you will get there as time passes, as it sounds like you are doing well thus far. So I will keep this to the scope of your question.

Since you say this started when you started that program, I would say leave it behind you. It sounds like you shed your vocal weight just fine from this clip. Did anything in this clip feel uncomfortable?

Here is my guess from what you described. I hear you shedding weight, and doing nothing that would cause what you speak of. So I am thinking that program you started since you said it is mainly working on belting. You more than likely are holding too much vocal weight trying to get the results the program wants. Your voice style doesnt need to be "big", you have other factors that you can build upon other voices dont have. So I would work on exploiting those.

Holding too much vocal weight can cause all these symptoms you describe, from fold inflammation. Also from stress to the actual muscles that control the larynx and abduct the folds.

The only other thing I would like to add is have you had any acid reflux symptoms? Or is this a bad time of year for your allergies?

If no on either of those last questions, I really would put a heavy vegas bet on it just being the program.

You have a cool timber, work on exploiting that more.

It will also take some time for the back lash of a pissed of throat to heal. Vocal rest helps, but not too much. Keep doing light exercises, just not those lol. My folds, as well as most people I work with respond well to keeping the folds working more so than alot of rest. The muscles are fast twitch, and the same type of "fatigue proof" muscle as your heart. So they heal different and much faster than like a muscle in your arm. The folds themselves heal differently as well, as long as they stay lubricated. Even programs for removing nodules without surgery involve everyday use with the "right"exercises. I have never had positive results with anything longer than 24 hours of silence.

That's what I was thinking. A feeling of something in your throat is a classic symptom of reflux. Also reflux and sinus/nasal issues, allergies, all interrelated.

To me, your vocal fold adduction is a little weak...it sounds like you are letting just a little too much air by in the lower sections of that tune. This air can act like a blow dryer and dry out your folds making them more susceptible to friction.

thanks mir for the kind words and suggestions! I do suffer from acid reflux it seems and I am going to take steps to find a solution e.g. elevating the bed head to see if that helps. I did sleep with two cushions last night and my throat feels way better this morning. I will do some light exercises today and see how I go. My teacher also said the same thing you did about light use instead of total rest.

I'll also move on from that exercise in the programme as i'm sure it was putting stress on my vocals. I think I really need to practice head voice this year and try to get power with resonance rather than pushing my chest voice up.

Videohere: thanks for the advice. I will discuss this with my teacher and research further.

I'll let you guys know how I go. Appreciate the help.

Sounds like you can naturally bridge well on a light level; I personally liked your clip a lot.  I actually liked your higher singing more than the lower which is strange considering I was expecting to hear some vocal trouble arise you when tried to go higher due to what you said.  There is nothing I can hear in your clip that suggest that your voice is going through serious health trouble but if anything hurts when singing stop doing it. 

thanks guys. Singing that clip did not hurt which is good. I think I just have to be smart about the goal of certain exercises and start making steps to get acid reflux under control. I'll report back if I have further issues.

Thanks again.

Yeah I was surprised myself jeremy, his high end sounded very well mixed. I mean he could add some more closure as video said, I heard that too. But I really dont hear it as a manditory thing with his timber, really depends on what type of style music.

I will say as someone who fights acid reflux and really has it whipped for the most part without meds (allergies are my sore spot).

Two pillows arent enough, slight angle to the entire bed works wonders. Sleeping on your left side not right. An empty, hungry stomach is not good. Most of the time its too little of acid that causes reflux, not too much. When you eat, monitor how much fluid you drink with the meal. Too much fluid, will dilute the acid, then your body keeps releasing more acid to compensate and wont dump the food into the small intestine. So that can cause it to basically overflow in a crude sense.

Apple cider vinegar, unpasteurized, is a life saver to me. Its highly acidic, however once it meets with your stomach acid it turns alkaline. Also the mother bacteria strand gives assistance as well.

That saves my ass more times than not. Also a table spoon of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) mix with 6 ounces of water will tame a very bad out break. I did everything in my power to avoid medication and it seems to have worked. Of course you have to combine this with a good diet. With a piss poor diet you will always be battling up hill.

I actually drink crazy water if there are gonna be any vocals. The bicarbonate in it keeps any reflux from popping its head up. As nerves can get my reflux going

I used to drink baking soda water for upset stomach. It is also good to knock loose the corrosion build-up on car batteries. Anyway, so, I changed my diet away from fried foods, the exception being freshly fried fish in peanut oil. I got rid of ice cream, for the most part, and regular  or low fat milk. Now, when I want milk, I drink zero fat milk and I don't have that issue, anymore. But I totally agree with you, m.i.r. If one can do it, find the nest non-med remedies one can find, before turning to meds, which will make both lifestyle and meds more effective.