Mad World - Gary Jules

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hello, I'm Casper, 17 years old, hailing from Denmark! I am a sound engineer kind of dude.
So this is kind of avant garde of me. But I'd love some honest critique and feedback on my singing. 
I've been passively singing my whole life (Nothing more than the next guy) For the fun sake of it,
I did some metal vocals a year ago and developed several techniques. Since then I've hopped off the Metal wagon.

- Only editing I did on my vocals was a low cut on the equalizer, and a compressor.
And of course amp-simulated my guitar.

Here's a sound clip: 

"There are no two words in the English language more harmful than good job." Terence Fletcher (Whiplash, 2014)

I'm definitely not an expert.. but this isn't bad at all. Great tone and I like your delivery. 1.42 was pretty great. I did notice a few breaks in your voice here and there. Hopefully you'll get a response from somebody with more knowledge who can give you a specific direction on where to improve. Overall this is pretty solid. Well done!

I can hear the metal technique in your voice. Possible new gent??

One this with this type of music, you need variation. You sung the entire song the same, which comes from the constant power needed in metal. However with lighter stuff like this, there is no power vocals to rely on. No big range, ect. That is what makes the song so intimate.

So vary your voice, lighten it up, with random spots of connection ect. Just think of how you would feel saying these words on music like this. How would your voice change, that gut feeling, ect.

That is just my two cents

The sound quality of the recording is really good. I can hear the accent by how you pronounce the words. Good pitch but a slow and lethargic feel, which may certainly have been your intention. You sing well, just remember you sing words in a song, not speak them. So, when you sing, don't think of how you would speak the words.

As Robert Lunte would say, singing vowels are not speaking vowels.

And vice versa.

But good effort, and I liked it.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I really appreciate it, and I'll definitely take it into consideration.
As for the lethargic feeling, that's actually my primary problem with singing, I feel like even when trying to sing with power and such, that there's still a lethargic feel to my singing, that I just can't get rid of. But that's at least something to work on.
And again! Thank you, all of you.

"There are no two words in the English language more harmful than good job." Terence Fletcher (Whiplash, 2014)