Rate this topic

incessantmace

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1MBcg9w8BvC

When my voice cracks like this, does it mean I'm not supporting enough, or haven't I strengthened my twang musculature enough yet? I thought it was the latter myself since I still can't phonate quack mode in headvoice. When I do try my voice cracks and goes all over the place as if I'm yodeling. Really weird sounding and not pleasant. I could record a sample of it if necessarry.

I've been practicing with the Four Pillars of singing for about 10 weeks now and recently I've started taking Skype lessons with a local TVS teacher here in the Netherlands. :)

• Administrator

Think of a ping pong ball being floated by an air stream if it gets interrupted for a millisecond it falls.

I like this metaphor... agreed... the voice needs to ride on a very constant and consistent "column" of respiratory support... I often think of those dry ice gadgets where a ball is suspended in air.. same idea. 

Concentrate on not changing the air flow, it sounds like you are not being consistent and its getting interrupted. Think of a ping pong ball being floated by an air stream if it gets interrupted for a millisecond it falls.

That's a really neat tip Daniel, thanks! Sometimes the breathing just seems to ''click'' for me and I don't have to think about it, and sometimes I can't seem to get it right, like today. It's pretty annoying but I'm improving quite fast which motivates me to keep at it!

Hi Incessantmace,

Who is your TVS teacher?  Just want to verify for you... 

Make sure you are diving into that "Foundation Building Routine"!... 

Hi Robert! I'm Ramon, if you recall, we mailed about 2 months ago. You talked to me about taking lessons to make sure I was doing all the exercises correctly. I found Rob van den Biggelaar by googling for a TVS coach in the Netherlands. I've done 3 Skype lessons with him and he's a pretty great and knowledgeable teacher. We're actually working on the Foundation Building routine at the moment! 

Hey man, sounds like you are making great progress with that head voice bridging regardless of those tiny little glitches in the sound.  I am not sure what state your head voice was in 10 weeks ago but it sounds like you are getting a lot more things right than wrong at this point.  Just keep at it and don't give up.

It might make you feel better to know that I had only just discovered my connected head voice whatsoever about two years ago and at first all I could do was a small whisper sound and no twang at all.  However, the more I kept working on bridging sirens with a lot of twang just like you are doing there, the louder and stronger it got.  So believe me, it will come if you keep doing what you are doing. :)

Yes... Rob VDB... great TVS Coach... your in good hands... keep me notified of your progress and I can answer questions for you as well. 

Good to hear it from the maestro himself! :)  Will do and thanks for responding quickly.

I didnt even bother saying anything to this thread. I knew robert would be in here in a flash.

I dont think there is a course out there I am aware of that equals your customer service and product support Rob. Always impressed

Likewise! I haven't encountered similar customer support anywhere, really.

You are in good hands. It's just a matter of coordination. And give yourself room to make some odd noises. Just because you cracked now does not mean that you will crack forever.

I sure hope not! And making odd noises is my favorite pasttime.  :lol:

Hey man, sounds like you are making great progress with that head voice bridging regardless of those tiny little glitches in the sound.  I am not sure what state your head voice was in 10 weeks ago but it sounds like you are getting a lot more things right than wrong at this point.  Just keep at it and don't give up.

It might make you feel better to know that I had only just discovered my connected head voice whatsoever about two years ago and at first all I could do was a small whisper sound and no twang at all.  However, the more I kept working on bridging sirens with a lot of twang just like you are doing there, the louder and stronger it got.  So believe me, it will come if you keep doing what you are doing. :)

Thanks man that's encouraging! :)  10 weeks ago my head voice was pretty much nonexistent, similar to how you describe yourself 2 years ago. A windy and small whisper-like sound lacking twang. I guess that's falsetto then?

Do you have any current samples of your voice? I'd like to hear!

• Administrator

Thanks for the shout out guys... 

Incessant, seems you are oriented well here... you got the program, you got a good coach that I know and train with personally... as a matter of fact... no kidding... Rob VDB and I are training at 10:00 am this morning... and you are on this forum. Not sure you could ask for a better situation.  Good for you.

Thanks man that's encouraging! :)  10 weeks ago my head voice was pretty much nonexistent, similar to how you describe yourself 2 years ago. A windy and small whisper-like sound lacking twang. I guess that's falsetto then?

Do you have any current samples of your voice? I'd like to hear!

I have some some old covers but not anything too new since there are so many people around my house it's hard to plan a recording.  This is probably the best song sample I can give of my voice after doing lots of proper exercises and twang work + singing songs everyday. http://picosong.com/4NxJ/

Also, I'm glad it was encouraging to hear that, admittedly it's encouraging that you also have had a similar progression yourself as it inspires me even more to keep at my head voice.  It's awesome how parts of your voice that were not there before can be trained and honed stronger and stronger.  It might take a lot of work and determination but when the results pay off it is so worth it.  

I have some some old covers but not anything too new since there are so many people around my house it's hard to plan a recording.  This is probably the best song sample I can give of my voice after doing lots of proper exercises and twang work + singing songs everyday. http://picosong.com/4NxJ/ 

Also, I'm glad it was encouraging to hear that, admittedly it's encouraging that you also have had a similar progression yourself as it inspires me even more to keep at my head voice.  It's awesome how parts of your voice that were not there before can be trained and honed stronger and stronger.  It might take a lot of work and determination but when the results pay off it is so worth it.  

"page cannot be found"

"page cannot be found"

I didn't think anybody else but incessantmace would want to hear that hah... I think you may have already heard it yourself as it was on the first thread I made.  Strangely enough, the link works for me.  I've noticed a lot of links haven't been coming up for you on various threads?  Maybe something is up with your browser?  

edit: Now it isn't working for me anymore... let me reupload the link to that post.  Thanks for pointing it out ronws

edit edit: alright it works now, I apologize for the title of that track by the way the cover was sent to just one friend at first and it's an inside joke.  

I have some some old covers but not anything too new since there are so many people around my house it's hard to plan a recording. This is probably the best song sample I can give of my voice after doing lots of proper exercises and twang work + singing songs everyday. http://picosong.com/4NxJ/

Also, I'm glad it was encouraging to hear that, admittedly it's encouraging that you also have had a similar progression yourself as it inspires me even more to keep at my head voice. It's awesome how parts of your voice that were not there before can be trained and honed stronger and stronger. It might take a lot of work and determination but when the results pay off it is so worth it.

I understand it's hard to get a decent recording with people about, this sounds pretty great though. I wasn't expecting you to sing that low but it works! Your voice resembles Elvis on the low parts and Roy Orbison when you go higher, imo. How long had you been singing prior to the head voice training and twang work?

I understand it's hard to get a decent recording with people about, this sounds pretty great though. I wasn't expecting you to sing that low but it works! Your voice resembles Elvis on the low parts and Roy Orbison when you go higher, imo. How long had you been singing prior to the head voice training and twang work?

Wow, I'm honored by your comparison!  Roy is one of my favorite singers, you nailed that influence right on the head.  And I've been singing seriously for about two years now.  I began doing the sort of exercises I mentioned about a year in and since then I feel my technique has really boosted.  At first getting into head voice training was really discouraging as I had trained bottom up techniques for so long I didn't have access to it at all at first.  One day I randomly discovered it and ever since then I've been building resonance and freedom in the sound.  You just gotta keep at it and be consistent and things will fall into place.  I still got a ways to go in the head voice department, but the progress is there.

Cool beans, Jeremy. I liked it.

Thanks bro. :)

Wow, I'm honored by your comparison!  Roy is one of my favorite singers, you nailed that influence right on the head.  And I've been singing seriously for about two years now.  I began doing the sort of exercises I mentioned about a year in and since then I feel my technique has really boosted.  At first getting into head voice training was really discouraging as I had trained bottom up techniques for so long I didn't have access to it at all at first.  One day I randomly discovered it and ever since then I've been building resonance and freedom in the sound.  You just gotta keep at it and be consistent and things will fall into place.  I still got a ways to go in the head voice department, but the progress is there.

I recognized the Orbison-eque sound you have quite quickly even though I haven't listened to the man himself in quite a long time, so you've definitely got something good going there! All the more power to you. :)

For me, bridging early has helped get rid of the bottom up constriction quite a lot. I used to sing in a really heavy mass but wasn't aware of that until I started training with the 4P. Now when I train and sing I just try to phonate as light as possible, adding air and twang from there to create a powerful sound. Don't know if that makes any sense but that's the best I can explain it atm. 

I recognized the Orbison-eque sound you have quite quickly even though I haven't listened to the man himself in quite a long time, so you've definitely got something good going there! All the more power to you. :)

For me, bridging early has helped get rid of the bottom up constriction quite a lot. I used to sing in a really heavy mass but wasn't aware of the until I started training with the 4P. Now when I train and sing I just try to phonate as light as possible, adding air and twang from there to create a powerful sound. Don't know if that makes any sense but that's the best I can explain it atm. 

Nah, I follow you I think.  That's the downside of training exclusively bottom up (without a teacher at least) is for some of us guys where bridging is less intuitive it can really put a "ceiling" on your voice.  I certainly did this and have taken the hint that I need to stop pulling chest so much in training and replace it with more bridging on a lighter level to lose some of those constrictions.  I think you are on the right track with what you are doing at the moment, just keep being smart about your practice and it will fall into place...and that hard work will surely pay off when you can sing all the songs you love you used to not be able to.

Yeah Jeremy(by the way my name is jeremiah, dont know if jeremy is short for that) your low end is pretty cool sounding. Really fit that song.

In reply to the original post, I know cracks like will happen with me if I am being lazy. Usually with the folds, and trying to make up with no support. I call it lazy compression. If this ever happens i will usually over tighten and over compress for a brief moment. Then adjust back down again. Kinda shocks myself to quit horsing around lol

So in your case you could be be lazy as I. Or you may be giving yourself too much compression and not letting your folds close all the way before you hammer them with air.

Yeah Jeremy(by the way my name is jeremiah, dont know if jeremy is short for that) your low end is pretty cool sounding. Really fit that song.

In reply to the original post, I know cracks like will happen with me if I am being lazy. Usually with the folds, and trying to make up with no support. I call it lazy compression. If this ever happens i will usually over tighten and over compress for a brief moment. Then adjust back down again. Kinda shocks myself to quit horsing around lol

So in your case you could be be lazy as I. Or you may be giving yourself too much compression and not letting your folds close all the way before you hammer them with air.

Not sure, I think Jeremy could be a more westernized version of Jeremiah but I don't know for sure.  Still, nice to have a fellow "Jerem-" on board.  Thanks for your compliments, and I agree with your advice to incessant.  I think I have had plenty of experience with the over compression you describe.