• TMV World Legacy Member

I did a show a while back doing some Melissa Etheridge covers. For some reason I couldn't share the videos but I finally got the downloaded and up to Youtube so thought I would share them

Come To My Window - 

I Wanna Come Over - 

I've always wanted to be able to do her songs. Was able to do a whole 45 minute set screaming my head off without even losing my voice. Was totally awesome. Definitely once of my favorite shows to date.

I've never paid that much attention to Melissa Etheridge, but you rock. You've got lots of raw energy and are explosive. It's rare in female vocalists that will just explode like that. Well it's rare in male vocalists too, but yeah.

It rocks. I think I like your better than Melissa Etheridge. You're just less constrained, more explosive, and like you're willing to 'go there' wherever there is. Howling, screaming, whispering, raspy, clean, loud, quiet, whatever. 'There' sounds like a feeling. An emotion, and you go there. 

Primal, good stuff.

I love "Come to my Window". It is one of my Goals to be able to sing that and really sell it.

You did an awesome job. I loved every minute of it.

Bonnie Raitt Has some Killer songs also...... 

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Both were good and I really liked "I want to come over." As good or better than the original.

I read some interviews with Melissa, once. Often, when recording, she would still track, even when having a cold. And that would add some more grit to her sound, which she would use on the album.

Anyway, good stuff, Lauren.

Thank you guys and thank you Robert. Yea, she has a really aggressive voice. She's a huge influence on my vocal style. Bonnie Raitt is fantastic too. Other singers I love, Anne Wilson and Karen Carpenter.

I had many voice coaches who told me I couldn't sing this way and I'm so glad that I didn't listen to them :)

Thank you guys and thank you Robert. Yea, she has a really aggressive voice. She's a huge influence on my vocal style. Bonnie Raitt is fantastic too. Other singers I love, Anne Wilson and Karen Carpenter.

I had many voice coaches who told me I couldn't sing this way and I'm so glad that I didn't listen to them :)

Me too. You rock. So uninhibited. You sound so free. It's not polite at all.

A lot of singing sounds to me like the singer is thinking 'oh no am I offending x percentage of the audience?' You sing from the gut. If the audience can't handle it maybe they are wussies.

I'm listening to Patti Smith right now. You're trained and got technique and all that, but there is still that kick. I really respect it, especially from female artists, as society tends to raise women to be polite. "Well isn't that a pretty and appropriate sound for woman to make.'

Screw that, women can kick ass and should more often. :D Rock on.