How much water is too much?

Rate this topic

loudkenny

I have a problem I´m trying to figure out.

I can drink upwards of one gallon of warm water a day, and I sometimes get a dry mouth and sore throat while singing.

I stopped drinking sodas of any kind when I decided to ´get serious´ with my singing, and I can´t remember the last time I had any alcohol.

However, I have a cup of tea in the AM most days to get my eyes open, long before I do any actual singing.

Am I drinking too much water... or is there something wrong I should see a doctor for?

Thank you,

ken

Question. When you drink all this water are you burping/refluxing? Be very careful with water overload because it can create a lot of upward abdominal pressure which can result in reflux. Make sure you're not drinking much more than a few sips of water before bed or you will reflux in the lying down position and that's when you're most vulnerable.

I will usually have a cup + 1/2 in the morning, then wait a bit, then warm up. Then I'll have a cup that I sip during warm ups. Then I might have another cup that I sip on while I sing. After than I just have what would make up about 8 glasses.

3 gallons would destroy me!

Also dry mouth tends to be a result of nerves not as a result of a lack of water.

The sore throat is muscular tension. There's a man called David L Jones who you can add on facebook who posts a lot of stuff on the old school italian/swedish method which is best for complete relaxed singing. He also writes essays on singing on his website: http://www.voiceteacher.com/

What was your reason for not drinking soda? Personally I'm ok with soda as long as I don't drink it before singing. Otherwise I believe it is a myth that it affects you in any other way. Good that you have stopped the alcohol though.

So yes in short, that is too much water. Your problems are stemming from other places I think. If everything is in a good place technically then you only need a glass hanging around to sip on at the most outside of your 5-8 cups a day.

I would also ask how long is your singing session?

A few years ago, a guy complained that his voice was getting fatigued. After asking why, he listed his normal "day in the life."

Up early to work on his singing practice. 

Teaching choir during the day.

4 out of 5 days a week, doing a public performance at a hall or church that lasts no less than 3 hours. 

Then some more warm-ups and warm-downs and practice after that.

With additional conversations with people throughout the day, as any human would.

FATIGUE? Ya think?

Not that your case is that extreme but I think it helps to know how much singing and what style and is it at the end of the range of your voice?

Do you tend to whisper your singing? Whispering is worse for the voice than loud singing.

Maybe you need a doctor, or not, hard to tell.

I drink coffee, diet soda, and I am not a stranger to beer, etc.

And yet, a week ago, I was singing a song with high range and lots of "volume" 4 times in a row. Why? Trying to record a track without clipping and adjusting levels and doing it again and finally, singing a foot away, a little off axis from my cardiod condenser mic. That's loud, though I don't drink just water, very much.

And not suffering the symptoms that you have. The only time my voice feels fatigued is if I am singing in the car and the heater is on full blast.

So, think about that. What is your environment? For a lot of people, including me, it is winter time. I am looking outside and seeing 3 inches of snow on the ground and we are expecting some more freezing rain, later. So, the heater in the house is on, though it is not as drastic to my voice, the drying effect spread out.

When I worked in a dry laboratory, my voice would get dried out very quickly. And then, yea, add in talking to co-workers, meetings, on he phone, add to the fact that at the time I had a very bottom up speaking voice. Yea, voice was shot by the end of the day.

I try to hydrate a lot before I need to record or perform, but I don't necessarily drink a lot while doing that. I actually prefer warm tea when recording.

Remember, water can also dehydrate. Ever taken a bath and stayed in too long? Your fingers get pruned from water being pulled out of the body. So if you are always drinking water every second of the day, it can actually be drawing water out of the vocal folds and throat, especially is you are already well hydrated. This is why I try to drink ahead of time and not while performing or recording.

What was your reason for not drinking soda? Personally I'm ok with soda as long as I don't drink it before singing. Otherwise I believe it is a myth that it affects you in any other way. Good that you have stopped the alcohol though.

So yes in short, that is too much water. Your problems are stemming from other places I think. If everything is in a good place technically then you only need a glass hanging around to sip on at the most outside of your 5-8 cups a day

I found that I was sensitive to some sodas, and I would have to go much more after drinking some than if I stuck to plain water. Of course, the carbonation didn´t help either... burrrrp. ;)

I went to a doctor, and he told me that I have a small reflux problem (which I knew already), and that I was drinking enough water.

He said if your urine is very light yellow, you´re drinking enough, and for an athlete a little less than a gallon a day would do.

When I worked in a dry laboratory, my voice would get dried out very quickly. And then, yea, add in talking to co-workers, meetings, on he phone, add to the fact that at the time I had a very bottom up speaking voice. Yea, voice was shot by the end of the day.

I did some research, and apparently, my house may have a humidity problem... not enough that is.

I bought some small humidity testers and placed them in the rooms, and found out my house´s air is somewhere around 40% humidity.

I also placed one in the room I practice in at work, and the air there is about 70% humidity. This surprised me because if I practice at work, I can get some great mouth resonance going if I´ve been there awhile. If I practice at home after I´ve been home awhile, I can get a sore throat and resonating isn´t so easy.

ken

i have no idea what you folks are talking about regarding "too much", i say drink as much water as you feel you need, even if it's quite a lot, and that is the solution! I don't think there is a such thing as too much, within reason of what a normal human being would ever want to consume.

Of course those humidity issues are also part of the issue, good that you figured that out.

• 2 weeks later...

i have no idea what you folks are talking about regarding "too much", i say drink as much water as you feel you need, even if it's quite a lot, and that is the solution! I don't think there is a such thing as too much, within reason of what a normal human being would ever want to consume.

Of course those humidity issues are also part of the issue, good that you figured that out.

I would say there is definitely such thing as "too much water"!

For some years now, I have been in the habit of drinking approx 3-4 gal during a 2 hour show - this is on top of hydrating throughout the day prior to the performance time.

Without fail, after each show, I suffer from severe (and I mean severe) headaches, constant sweating through the night in bed, vomiting (but just vomiting what looks like water), diarrhoea, and intense fatigue - this all lasts for the subsequent 12 hours or so after the show.  It ain't pretty.  

It's a habit I am currently trying to get out of, but in my head, I now believe that I need that much water to sing well - even though I probably don't.  It's a hugely psychological thing for me I reckon.  

On days when I'm not drinking this much water, I have none of the above symptoms.  

There have also been numerous well-documented cases of deaths caused by drinking too much water over too short a space of time.

Be careful folks! 

I drink SOOOO much water a day.  I'm talking like 2 water bottles worth during a singing session (~1-1.5 hours), and if I go to the gym I drink ~4 water bottles worth in 2 hours- not to mention probably 3 or 4 bottles during "everyday" activity. Though I might just naturally need more water; when I went to an ENT I only had ~1/2 to 1 water bottle's worth after being up for ~3 hours and the doc said my cords looked dehydrated.  My urine is also usually light yellow aka juuuust enough color where a person can tell the toilet water is not clean.   So it sounds like I'm not drinking too much. 

I remember as a kid being "scared" to being old enough to drink, as I thought I might kill myself because of the volume and speed I could drink non-alcoholic drinks.

So I guess I'm "Team Owen" in my opinion of is too much water possible.

• 1 year later...