What is the difference between medium and powerful singing?

Rate this topic

cordial_cherry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ8fP_DJWkU

Here is just one video off the top of my head that has clearly different levels of dynamics/power. I'll just focus on the male because it seems more clear there.

1. 0:38 - soft/small

2. 1:11 -- medium

3. 1:38 -- medium big/loud

4: 1:50 -- big/loud

What is happening to make these different levels of power? Emotionally speaking, one side of the scale is tender, trepid, reserved while the other is brash, confident, and commanding.

Often its the singers who can travel this entire range who are considered those with amazing "pipes". Conversely, I hear many amateur singers (and pros who front pop bands) top out at medium or medium-big.

I just would like to know, what is happening as the voice moves from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4?

To add:

Mental intent

Superb control of exhalation

Accurate vowel shapes for the notes 

A relaxed jaw and tongue

Well conditioned and developed pitch control and fold adduction musculature

Singing with an open throat

Directing the voice rather than blatantly pushing it

Maximizing flow and freedom

(Oh yes, and a years and years of hard work.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ8fP_DJWkU

Here is just one video off the top of my head that has clearly different levels of dynamics/power. I'll just focus on the male because it seems more clear there.

1. 0:38 - soft/small

2. 1:11 -- medium

3. 1:38 -- medium big/loud

4: 1:50 -- big/loud

What is happening to make these different levels of power? Emotionally speaking, one side of the scale is tender, trepid, reserved while the other is brash, confident, and commanding.

Often its the singers who can travel this entire range who are considered those with amazing "pipes". Conversely, I hear many amateur singers (and pros who front pop bands) top out at medium or medium-big.

I just would like to know, what is happening as the voice moves from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4?

It is simple for you to figure out for yourself.... Sing a soft lullaby, Sing a country song like "Country Roads"  from John Denver, Sing a song like "We're Not Gonna Take It", Then try Something Like "Hot Blooded".  Pay attention while doing these..... There you go 1,2,3,4.......   

Very hard for any one to actually say "you do this with your larynx". This with your Air Supply", "This other thing with your resonance"............ You could go by "Mental Attitude" ......."this is a lullaby so I sing soft" "this is a statement that I have strong opinion about so I sing louder to be heard"..... "This is an angry song  so I yell my fool head off"......... Or just go by the sound that you feel fits the song.........

Or just start a note soft and then gradually get louder and see/feel/hear what is happening.

You also answered your own question:

Emotionally speaking, one side of the scale is tender, trepid, reserved while the other is brash, confident, and commanding.

As Video said "Mental attitude"

There is no technical trick for each one, you just learn the fundamentals and all these dynamics will eventually become available. Always think of training dynamics as developing one voice with superb dynamic freedom. Make sure you are always practicing a wide variety of dynamics as well as dynamic changes, both in steps and in swells, and long term and short term and work on putting that into your singing too. Dynamic changes are and should always be fueled most primarily by mental intent though, you just need to build up a strong technical foundation and loads of muscle memory from practicing all the dynamics within it, in order to connect your body with that mental intent properly.

You may notice that in your comfortable range the connection is uninterrupted and you can sing from very very loud to very very soft no breaks. A huge part of vocal technique is simply learning to open up that naturalness in a more extended range. You're not going to master it overnight and most singers never master it completely so just keep practicing it every day and you will get pretty far!