Karaoke software?

Rate this topic

poonna

Hi. My first post here. :)

Not sure where to post this, but here I go. Since we are all singers here, I believe some of us might also use Karaoke as a way of practicing. In that case, I wonder if you can recommend me some Karaoke software, and also where to find song library. If it can also record the singing voice so that I can listen back, that would be superb.

Hi poona,

Though it isn't specifically karaoke software, I have used something called Singing Coach Unlimited which uses midi files and shows you the text like a karaoke program would but has the added advantage that it tracks your pitch as well as the pitch you are supposed to be singing.

It is available from Amazon.com for around $20 but there are some issues with it. First, though it does let you import midi files, the melody line and lyrics have to be on track 4 which is not where many karaoke midi's have them. It still works ok with other midi files if you don't mind editing the midi files to change the tracks around. The other issue is that its own online store seems to have disapeared as of last week but perhaps it is only a technical problem. (or at least that is when I checked.) They also didn't have many modern pop or rock songs available. The software is all from 2004.

Another approach that I have tried, though also not karaoke, is to use a very inexpensive digital audio workstation (I use one called Reaper which is $40 but there are many out there) and you can use it to play backing tracks, and if you like you can set it up to show you what the pitches are. You can use it to look at the lyrics in an midi file in editing mode but I have not figured out how to get it to show them to you as it plays the track.

I have not found as many karaoke midi files for power metal as I had hoped, though there are a few out on the internet, but I have not found them concentrated in any particular site.

I would love to hear what other people are using though.

Thanks for the post.

Doug

Not sure where to post this, but here I go. Since we are all singers here, I believe some of us might also use Karaoke as a way of practicing. In that case, I wonder if you can recommend me some Karaoke software, and also where to find song library. If it can also record the singing voice so that I can listen back, that would be superb.

i'm an avid karaoke buff. are you simply trying to get the songs?

Another approach that I have tried, though also not karaoke, is to use a very inexpensive digital audio workstation (I use one called Reaper which is $40 but there are many out there) and you can use it to play backing tracks, and if you like you can set it up to show you what the pitches are. You can use it to look at the lyrics in an midi file in editing mode but I have not figured out how to get it to show them to you as it plays the track.

I use Sonar, but I think that approach is probably not very convenient. I've heard of some vocal removal plugins though (never tried one). That might be a good idea, too.

i'm an avid karaoke buff. are you simply trying to get the songs?

Yeah, the songs, too, but I don't know of any karaoke software either, so a recommendation is greatly appreciated. :)

I use Audacity recording software. It is free to download. You will also need to download, also free, an mp3 encoder patch that works with it. Then, find free karaoke backing track downloads that you want. When you open the mp3 of the song you want to sing, it will take the first track. Then you just hit the record button and it will start you on a second track. It helps me to have one earbud in so that I can hear the music without it doubling back through the desk microphone I am using if I were allowing the desktop speakers to play.

Then, afterward, you can do various effects to each track separately. Such as equalization, echo, reverb, etc.

I'm on a Mac, so I use GarageBand. While it's not visible on their main site, iTunes actually has a very nice selection of karaoke tracks, so you can buy them one at a time. Some of them are excellent; I was shocked. I drop the MP3 into a stereo track, create a mono one for myself (for which, of course, you can add verb, compression, echo, eq, etc). Great for practice and recording/playback.

Thanks for all the responses guys!

I tried Karafun, but I can't figure out how to make it properly record my mic. I have a dynamic mic (Sennheiser e835) connected to the preamp on my audio interface. I adjusted the level so that it didn't clip on my interface (and in Sonar), but it always clipped way too easily in Windows and in Karafun.