Idea of Bridging by Seth Riggs and Pavarotti (video)

Rate this topic

Elvis

Hey guys i just wanted to share an interesting video on bridging the passagio.

Pavarotti's sound on that f# is extremely powerfull and i think this video show a very nice idea behind covering the sound.

It took years to get that covered sound to be sharp and carry...Now I have been spending years trying to get rid of it lmao!!

But good Lord....Did you hear Pavarotti's voice!!! You could hear it bouncing off the back wall of the room making it all the way back to the mic. He didnt even blink....even his "bad" example carried the room...absolutely amazing.

It took years to get that covered sound to be sharp and carry...Now I have been spending years trying to get rid of it lmao!!

But good Lord....Did you hear Pavarotti's voice!!! You could hear it bouncing off the back wall of the room making it all the way back to the mic. He didnt even blink....even his "bad" example carried the room...absolutely amazing.

It's cool, I just wish there were more like singer songwiter operatic singers. I have difficulty getting into classical singing a lot of times, cause it sounds so constrained by the technique itself. The composition itself is constraining enough, but they want to do things very traditionally. Like you're not supposed to improvise, from the composers intention and the sound ideal of opera itself.

When I listen, I just get this 'follow the rules' voice chanting in my head. Do what you're told. Sing how you are expected to sing. It's tough for me to connect cause I want them to bust loose and just give a middle finger.

I'd like a Lou Reed Operatic singer. Doesn't care about the rules and wants to make music. Put this crazy Paravotti voice into free expression. I think the style would be cool in a different kind of art music. Yeah, that notes out of tune, and that timbre and tone is dirty a hell, but at the same time, Pavarroti in a leather jacket, just blasts so many decibels of refined power.

I guess by the time people go through all of the training for the classical sound color they wanna sing classical and want to sing refined music. But if you did it like improper, the opposite of Opera. It might be more rock n roll than rock n roll. More punk than punk. More hardcore than hardcore. Like there is no comprompose to anything. It's like, I dare you to handle this music that breaks every boundary, culturally, musically, just all of it. I think if it was done right, it would kick so much ass.

I found a few videos of Pavarotti and friends. Pavarotti singing with others from different genres. I was so disappointed that Pavarotti did not actually sing the songs.

They would have him singing some classical Operatic thing in the middle of the song. I wanted to hear how Pavarotti would handle things like "Boom Boom Out go the Lights" or B.B.Kings "The Thrill is Gone".  They had him singing with Howlin Wolf, B.B.King, James Brown and others. It could have been Awesome.

It's cool, I just wish there were more like singer songwiter operatic singers. I have difficulty getting into classical singing a lot of times, cause it sounds so constrained by the technique itself. The composition itself is constraining enough, but they want to do things very traditionally. Like you're not supposed to improvise, from the composers intention and the sound ideal of opera itself.

When I listen, I just get this 'follow the rules' voice chanting in my head. Do what you're told. Sing how you are expected to sing. It's tough for me to connect cause I want them to bust loose and just give a middle finger.

I'd like a Lou Reed Operatic singer. Doesn't care about the rules and wants to make music. Put this crazy Paravotti voice into free expression. I think the style would be cool in a different kind of art music. Yeah, that notes out of tune, and that timbre and tone is dirty a hell, but at the same time, Pavarroti in a leather jacket, just blasts so many decibels of refined power.

I guess by the time people go through all of the training for the classical sound color they wanna sing classical and want to sing refined music. But if you did it like improper, the opposite of Opera. It might be more rock n roll than rock n roll. More punk than punk. More hardcore than hardcore. Like there is no comprompose to anything. It's like, I dare you to handle this music that breaks every boundary, culturally, musically, just all of it. I think if it was done right, it would kick so much ass.

Yeah I didnt mean to get as far as I did in classical. Should have just picked up the basics and went into contemporary. However I learned somethings I wouldnt have picked up anywhere else. Also being able to sing classical and fairly fluent in Italian and quarter ass fluent in german looks good on a resume I guess.

On your comment later though. Remember the time when these pieces were actually written, classical was the rock star of the time. They were over the edge, tons of improvised stuff. Beethoven and Back were huge on just going with it in their performances. Some of the stuff Beethoven and others wrote was shunned. Either for being wrong, evil, or whatever else they could think of, if it was too different or edge. Just like the game changers we have got to see in our musical time. Elvis for example pretty sure every mom thought he was the devil ha ha. Sad that mentality and coolness has all but left classical. Its not what the forefathers started, they would appreciate the talent. However, be pissed with the creative direction.

I love the look on Pavarotti's face when Adams hits the high note and Pavarotti takes his hand out from his tux around 1:25 and points his finger at Adams as if to say "check this guy out, will you!"

Secada had a great voice.  Nowadays he sings a lot differently.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe its only me but imo Pavarotti and Riggs are worlds apart in terms of sound quality and it seems a little bit like that "same idea of belcanto" thing is pulled out of nowhere except for them using similar vowel modifications.

Maybe its only me but imo Pavarotti and Riggs are worlds apart in terms of sound quality and it seems a little bit like that "same idea of belcanto" thing is a little bit pulled out of the air...

You are not wrong. But i shared the vid for a purpose of showing that 2 relatively different worlds have similar aproach regardless of terminology. Also to admire pavarotti who is a BEST xD

Maybe its only me but imo Pavarotti and Riggs are worlds apart in terms of sound quality and it seems a little bit like that "same idea of belcanto" thing is pulled out of nowhere except for them using similar vowel modifications.

When I first heard Seth Riggs on one of his Exercise CDs I thought to myself "How could this be right, He sound terrible, I don't want to sound like that". But, Seth has vocal issues not related to technique. HIS sound my be off but the technique is solid. Even with his problems he is singing solid notes high without breaks.

Your over all sound is going to be different even using the same techniques and configuration because of YOUR physical structure.