modifying/diphthonging higher up?

Rate this topic

m.i.r.

So I have really been soul searching to fix all my smaller issues that bug me. Mainly because I am finally building the group I have been quietly working on for about 6 years. Finally at the place where I might have the time and finances to do so. Promise this is my last weird question lol.

So whats the opinion of modifying vowels at say g#4 to c5 to always being more open and wide to bring a brighter tone? Even diphthonging to keep them as such if needed. Is this considered rookieish?? Bad grammer? ect? Doing as such has always been easy for me, however have always avoided it. More than likely because the classical group I trained with frowned upon it heavily. Since that was my first source of actual training, along with longest amount of time. Its like when you are a kid and something gets burned in your head, its hard to remove lol....

Also one more random tid bit...whats the opinion on grit from over compressing a bit in that area. I really like the tone it provides through experimentation, and its a pretty cool transition to full head voice. Also gets rid of the over covered sound or rrr sound as the sexy beast put it. Though I havent tried it live or anything under pressure. My folds dont seem to mind it, they dont love it, but they seem to accept it as of now.

It's okay to modify vowels higher up, especially because of our accent. For us, the word love has an uh sound in it that cause us to deflect downward, and pull the tongue down. Sometimes better to change that word to l - oo v. I learned that from Glenn Hughes when I covered "No Stranger to Love."

I have wondered this. They say go with what your body says. And my body says it likes it if I dont want a cover type of tone. I am sure it doesnt help that my tone is already darker anyways. Also no teacher thus far has every made special consideration for the texan accent. However it makes complete sense, we do love to butcher our words. You have def opened my eyes on that ron...thanks for that one

That is one great thing about this forum, there is some seriously gifted people here. Yet everyone is very humble and is very open about working on problems . I know professionally I can never let any hint of any sort of technical issues show instrument nor vocal wise. Yet here you can be open wjth it, it is very refreshing, extremely beneficial, and unique to this place.

Though I will say I am super excited. There has been an issue with my tone and singing together that bugged me. Yet I couldnt figure what it was, couldnt quite put my finger on it. However, with conversations here it really opened my eyes to what it was. After some soul searching, and listening to previous performances and session stuff..I was able to put my finger right on it. Realizing its not even something huge, just needs the proper tweaks.

Thanks again to everyone here that takes the time to contribute!!! I try my best to return the favor and respect on issues I can help with

I used to listen to songs and wonder why no one pronounced the words correctly when singing higher.

I would try to get the lyrics by listening to the songs over and over again because they were so modified that you could not tell any more

The main one that comes to mind is "Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress".   "A pair of 45s made me open my eyes"  All I heard was  " a pair of butterflies(or peanutbutter skies)  baby you in the night" It did not make any sense but that was all I could come up with.   Even now it does not sound like "A pair of 45s".....

Listen to AC/DC and then try to tell me that 50% of the words are easy to understand.

I always thought it was the accent of the particular singer but now I know that sometimes you must make changes to either sing the pitch or create a particular tone.

That is one great thing about this forum, there is some seriously gifted people here. Yet everyone is very humble and is very open about working on problems . I know professionally I can never let any hint of any sort of technical issues show instrument nor vocal wise. Yet here you can be open wjth it, it is very refreshing, extremely beneficial, and unique to this place.

Though I will say I am super excited. There has been an issue with my tone and singing together that bugged me. Yet I couldnt figure what it was, couldnt quite put my finger on it. However, with conversations here it really opened my eyes to what it was. After some soul searching, and listening to previous performances and session stuff..I was able to put my finger right on it. Realizing its not even something huge, just needs the proper tweaks.

Thanks again to everyone here that takes the time to contribute!!! I try my best to return the favor and respect on issues I can help with

Same thing has happened to me. It is usually very subtle and not hard, physically. Just a shift in perspective.

For me, I have found that my journey in singing is mostly about getting of my own way. To walk without stepping on my feet, as it were.

^ Oh God!!! Just about 5 mins ago I was ranting about kids and their rap music. Then went on a rant about the horrible decline in rap. Suddenly a flash back of when 90s rock music came around. Hearing my dad rant about the decline of rock...but I loved it.....I am getting old lol..this isnt good 30 going on 60 it feels like ha ha

I have not liked most music since the late 70s.....whether it be country, Rock, Metal, Rap, Haven't heard too many New Blues song I probably would not like that either.

At least I still have the oldies station and Youtube.......and a guitar to sing my own songs.

My natural father, a fiend for classical and having started his college career as a music major with original compositions that would be comparable to Aaron Copeland, thought Deep Purple was mostly noise. So, probably easier for him that he has passed on before he ever heard me singing "Child in Time."

I liked Tone Loc and could not identify with m&m and others.

I like Hall and Oates but don't follow newer r&nb. I like Led Zeppelin but never got into Slipknot, though I greatly admire Corey Taylor.

I cannot say that I have hated everything since the late 70s but there have  only been a few songs here and there and no Band has kept my attention after the first or second album. It seems that the first few albums are what the artist chose and after that some corporate shmoe picks the songs or their ego takes over and artistry goes out the window..

Also one more random tid bit...whats the opinion on grit from over compressing a bit in that area. I really like the tone it provides through experimentation, and its a pretty cool transition to full head voice. Also gets rid of the over covered sound or rrr sound as the sexy beast put it. Though I havent tried it live or anything under pressure. My folds dont seem to mind it, they dont love it, but they seem to accept it as of now.

You should be able to sing cleanly up and down your range before adding any effects like distortion etc... First get rid of the ugly rrr sound then add the grit so you can turn it on or off when you need to.

I have actually. Singing a song through and through it is staying gone 90 percent of the time now. Muscle memory still trys to bring it on habit but working on whipping it. Have to concentrate a bit on it still, but sure time will get that out of my memory.

Its so stupid, it was such a big deal for so long. Yet when pin pointed, then figured out the root cause, it was the easiest fix ever. I was rolling my mouth on any notes higher than a g4 into some sort of an Italian U sound. It would just mud the word and give it some sort of strange nasty resonance. I know it was from my old training in opera. Also, whenever I went into pure twanged head voice it was not an issue either. So that just reinforced my thought of where that ugly habit came from.

That is actually why I asked about the distortion there. I have always wanted it there but couldnt make it a viable option. However, as soon as I cleared the cause of the rrr issue, it just popped up as an option out of no where. So that is pretty exciting.

I cannot say that I have hated everything since the late 70s but there have  only been a few songs here and there and no Band has kept my attention after the first or second album. It seems that the first few albums are what the artist chose and after that some corporate shmoe picks the songs or their ego takes over and artistry goes out the window..

Yeah and some of the pressure is from band members themselves, thinking they have the golden muse. That they can do no wrong. And then, they eschew or reject the early thing that gave them success.

I formulated a standard pattern. A good band has, on average, a 5 year shelf life worth about 3 albums. Smart guys like Eric Clapton realized this and moved on, from project to project, always changing perspective and remaining fresh while still being "slow hand."

And yes, a singer can remain famous and beloved for decades. Sting is still admired and respected, even as his albums may not sell as well as something by Lil Wayne. Back during the hey day of his solo career and that  previously with the Police, he struck while the iron was hot. And also knew to walk away when it wasn't working. Though, to be fair, it's hard to work in the Police because of the differences between him and Stuart Copeland. And between those two, who do you know of and hear from more often, Sting or Stuart?  Ooh, I think I asked that question out loud.

Anyway, knowing that pattern is why a record or touring and events company will push a hot and new artist to the limit, do as many shows in 5 years and crank out as many albums as possible in that same time. Partially because your first inspirations are freshest. And because the market, especially the american market changes every few years.

Which is not to say that you can't ressurect things that have value.

rockonwhichyabadself.