Haven't shared my stuff much, but I'd love some tips

• TMV World Legacy Member

hey everyone...

It's been a couple years since I've done any live singing (for a large audience). Since the band and I are gearing up to start gigging in Seattle in a few months, I wanna make sure I'm ready...I'd love some tips, critiques, oohs, aahs, or just plain hateful criticism. I guarantee it'll be MUCH appreciated :cool:

Cheers, and enjoy

BTW...sometimes i forget I made this recording to show the band (you'll notice it's just me and my guitar)...hence the speaking before the song :rolleyes:

http://www.box.net/shared/hrqhv72v1j

Here's another one of the band from 2008. The band and I are currently in the process of revamping, restructuring, and re-recording this song, as we had a year apart and had gone through some changes within the band. In any case, it's a little outdated. Considering it's in the here-and-now, I'm having to lay down new vocal tracks for this song and would seriously appreciate some critiques, or even just a nod that i'm heading in the right direction? THANKS

& Rock on :cool:

*To get the best quality, either use headphones with good low-end or with a sub. sounds funny with laptop speakers...

http://www.box.net/shared/sg2cnqmfns

Finally, one last short piece that's currently under construction (the end result won't be acoustic, although we'll most likely have an acoustic version), but it was written with the acoustic guitar the day I recorded it...HA! 3 cheers for inspiration. Gotta love it. Anyway, Thanks in advance for giving this one a listen...i'm assuming you did if you made it down this far in my Posts :cool:

As usual, thank you very much for your time to give me your ear and your thoughts. Looking forward to what you have to say!!

Cheers!

http://www.box.net/shared/qk6zom4dtz

Danny

Work under construction - I see you have a definite sound and that's good. A defined and unique sound sets you apart from endless others. It was nice to hear your falsetto though I think it could have used a little more volume but that's just because I wanted to hear it better. Maybe the song calls for a low volume falsetto. Since this is an original piece, it's not my place to tell you how to write it. Then again, it wouldn't matter if this was a cover. I fully believe we should sing covers as if we wrote them, even if that means re-arranging vocal melodies to suit us. This sometimes gets me in trouble since people are often comparing to the original (it's inescapable to do so.)

I think the other valuable thing about your falsetto is that it shows you can vary vocal volume. I'm guessing you were using compression in the mix-down or even while recording and the vocal volume always sounded the same. That's probably just a preference of mine. I have found that I have an affinity for the Barry Manilow method. He explained it in an interview. A song starts out soft in volume and often in a lower range. And builds toward a crescendo in both pitch and volume and ends on a re-cap of the beginning, sometimes high, sometimes low, or a mix. So, don't put too much importance in what I say about varying volume.