Rate this topic

Devin Burns

So yeah I'm pretty new at this whole singing thing.  Only been trying to sing seriously for about a year or so.  I just got into the Four Pillars program and i just can't express how badly I want my head voice to sound like my chest voice.  Robert's voice is obviously amazing, and that's what I'm aiming for.  I just had some questions about a couple clips on youtube.  I don't know if these singers are pulling chest or singing in a strong head voice.

First clip is Tyler Carter singing Fame Over Demise by Woe is Me: At 0:56 ("I'll build my way out of your demise") he sings from an F4 up to a Bb4.  Is he just able to belt this out in chest or is he singing that Bb in head?

Next is Brendon Urie singing This Is Gospel: at 0:38 ("If you love me let me go") he holds that A4 (seemingly pretty easily).  Is this head voice?

I appreciate any responses.  Like I said, I'm new and just looking to learn.  Would take lessons if I could afford them.  And also if these guys aren't singing in head voice, is it possible to sound practically identical when singing the same phrases in head voice?  Thanks guys! Best of wishes to everyone!

They are singing in a strong coordinated head voice. however with that being said, they are pulling up slightly as you can hear they go a little flat but they are performing so it is gonna happen.  By practicing technique more and more the head voice will take over more and you will have less of that pulling sound. 

Yeah Dan pretty much said it. You can hear in the first clip right before the phrase you asked about the singer goes into a falsetto and you can hear a distinct difference. The falsetto always has that bell like quality.

One thing I will say and this it just my opinion is that the achilles heel of this whole style of singing is that the story can get lost in all the over stylized meandering. Meaning all that fast vibrato and endless dime store R&B runs can lose the listener’s attention in the end. Think about how many people lost interest in Mariah Carey when her songs became about nothing but trendy and endless runs. No more melody, just cool. I’d say be careful of that. Just my 2 cents.

• Administrator

Hi Devin,

I just saw your post... welcome to TVS and Im super pleased to hear that "The Four Pillars of Singing" is helping you. 

The first video... a really pretty voice... his voice reminds of a certain trend in male voice singing that has come out in the last few years that is a lighter "pretty" mass. Reminds me of another one of my students, Dan from "This Providence"... see below.... this is my student.

You are getting a real treat here... 3 great coaches giving you feedback...

I agree, that this style of singing and this sample in the first video is a bit heady... it kind of rides in and out of a low bridged position and it definitely is very light in mass... with just a touch of twang compression to keep it from being too Falsetto. I think, not too far from what Bruno Mars might do sometimes... but this is still kind of that certain style.  I don't mean this as a belittlement, but this kind of singing always reminds of the Abercrombie & Fitch store... shopping mall clothing stores seem to play these kinds of bands... I guess it attracts the girls and is very trendy. That being said, I think it is pretty singing and I enjoy it. So the short answer is yes, this is a bit heady in my opinion, but because the mass is so light, singers like this can more easily flush in and out of the bridge. If this is the way you sing and you do it enough, it will become 2nd nature. 

In regards to Your "Pillars" training content... to work on this sound, focus on keeping your mass relatively light. Look at the "Vocal Fold Compression Spectrum" illustration in the book... this helps you to understand that this has a bit to do with the level of compression on your vocal folds... and helps you to understand that compression, is another element that contributes to sound color along with vowels and resonance. 

In regards to "Pillars" training content, I would focus on getting really good on those forward palette Edging vowels, namely "eh" and "a" (cat) , they contribute to the higher harmonics you need for this kind of singing. The "Pulse & Release" onset is also known as the "Light Mass" onset... it will help you to get this sound as well, but do NOT neglect the other onset work!!!  :angry:   You have to build all the coordinations and strengths... and Ill safely assume, you want to be able to do other things with your voice as well.

I hope you can train with me in person one day, it will really help to sort more out. Let me know if you have any questions regarding your program... and you should probably update in about a week, some new stuff is in there.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the quick responses! :) I am really into this style of singing and it's what I want to do most.  I'm excited to start training this kind of sound, but don't worry, I won't be neglecting the other work! Not looking to be a one-trick pony

• Administrator

Actually one question Robert.  I've watched the lectures on onsets and I looked in the book and I'm still not quite sure how to actually perform this pulse & release onset? Am I missing it somewhere?

Yes, the "Pulse & Release Onset" is not in the current system... it is the 8th and last onset I added... Im working to get that on the program in the next couple months. The Pulse & Release Onset is simply starting the note with vocal fry or "Pulse" register.  Set vocal fry and then release into your singing vowel/voice... but don't add any mass (compression, extra wind, too much intrinsic anchoring)... let the phonation play out at The Phonation Threshold pressure... or the minimum amount of phonation & musculature required for a connected , decent sound... no more then that... if we do a lesson, i can show you how as well as check you on the other onsets as well. 

Yeah Dan pretty much said it. You can hear in the first clip right before the phrase you asked about the singer goes into a falsetto and you can hear a distinct difference. The falsetto always has that bell like quality.

One thing I will say and this it just my opinion is that the achilles heel of this whole style of singing is that the story can get lost in all the over stylized meandering. Meaning all that fast vibrato and endless dime store R&B runs can lose the listener’s attention in the end. Think about how many people lost interest in Mariah Carey when her songs became about nothing but trendy and endless runs. No more melody, just cool. I’d say be careful of that. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with James. There's also all this wiggling of pitch particularly at the end of notes these days that really can get on my nerves. Or some singers will overdo the vocal fry.  But that wiggling style just bothers me. 

• Administrator

I agree with James. There's also all this wiggling of pitch particularly at the end of notes these days that really can get on my nerves. Or some singers will overdo the vocal fry.  But that wiggling style just bothers me. 

Ya, there is a little "cry" in the style and sound color. I think it girls like it or something? 

• Administrator

Robert, is there a cost for updating the program? And where would I go to do this?

Devin... typically yes... if since the time you made your first purchase has been significant enough for me to work my tail off and add more content and updates to the program, making it better... send me a personal email with your original purchase receipt... and then Ill get back to you with discount codes.... but don't worry... I don't bend my clients over for a lot more money... thats not how I roll... I actually want you to have the updates... I make it easy and reasonable. Its almost more on principle... trying to be fair to myself... its less about the $40 or $60 I may ask for... but sometimes I don't ask for anything if your purchase is recent... just send me an email.

This page will show you all the updates specifications:

Click Here >>> 

Made me think of this item:

http://popbitch.com/home/2015/01/29/oh-say-can-you-sing/

Or basically:

PBStarSpangled-Aguilera2.jpg

Hi all :) May I add to the question in the topic? There's a russian singer Alexandr Gradskiy, that sings an amazingly heavy and resonant D5 in the third verse of this song: (starts around 3:25)

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dINbJr70vEE

Is this head voice? Is it even possible to sound that smooth and belty in the head voice?

Deffinatelly head voice. I would even say a less airy falsetto

Peel the paint off the walls vocals require the whole body to be involved.

The head voice can become one seriously powerful area of the voice but it takes a lot of strengthening to the point where it begins to intrude on and overlap the chest voice.

Head voice musculature doesn't get much use particularly by males with normal living.

That section needs to be developed and it takes time.

All depends on which terminology you use. Since you called the run previous to that section head voice then the following section would most likely be called mixed voice for you.

If you call the first run falsetto then the following may make more sense called head voice.

Same stuff, different names ☺